FeaturesStreakSmart

Dell Streak 5 sizes up Dell Streak 7

IMG_7543

Then have a look below at some of the comparison shots I took at the Dell Suites this afternoon. Most of the people there were more interested in the free drinks (happy hour was sponsored by Intel today) so I got to spend a decent amount of time in the mobility section where the Streaks were on display. I'll post some hands-on impressions of the Streak 7 soon but in the meantime, here are the Streak vs Streak size comparisons.

IMG_7540

IMG_7544

IMG_7541

IMG_7545

How big the Streak 7 is to you really depends on the size of your hands. You may have seen in my Dell press conference photos that the male speakers were able to hold the device quite easily in one hand. I can't do that comfortably.

32 thoughts on “Dell Streak 5 sizes up Dell Streak 7

• Do you know if you turn off auto rotate will it be landscape also?

I wonder how it can be charged at the same time as pumping a film out to a TV?

Will it need a dock to be able to do that – i.e. more to carry?

• Thanks Jenn
    Yeah, that’s not going in my pocket.

• I love all your posts Jenn, but I’m wondering why it’s been so long since you’ve mentioned anything about the original Streak’s Froyo upgraded for us tech challenged people that haven’t rooted their phone? Is it loss of interest on your part or has Dell given up on even attempting to give any info on an ETA?
    Im assuming its the latter. Either way, I was hoping you can point me to where I can find an idiot proof guide to rooting my Streak so I can finally get Froyo. Thanks for any help you can offer : )

• Jesus,

Froyo was rolled out to my O2 (UK) Streak just before Christmas from Dell so I imagine it’s heading to the States soon!

Took me ages to download over my parents’s wireless so I ended up doing the SD card install (download on a PC, put on root of SD card).

The 7 looks pretty impressive. Is it bad I have Streak envy now?

• Two big problems with the Streak 7. One is that it can’t make voice calls and the second is the screen resolution. WVGA, really? On a 7″ screen? Not good in comparison to other tablets of similar size. WVGA on our Streak 5s is very good and can compete very well with other tablets, but same resolution on a 7″ tablet is not good enough.

Why only WVGA?

Jenn, can you ask around about that? Thanks

• Jenn, have you investigated whether Honeycomb will be available for the Streak 5? After all, Dell markets the Streak 5 as a pocketable tablet and Honeycomb is for tablets, right?

I really really really hope they don’t tie it to T-mobile on it’s UK release.
    ANY other network would suffice, but please not with that useless carrier!!

Actually dell already release the froyo update to att. now it’s up to att when they are going to release the update for you guys. If you want simple straight forward guide to updating your streak to froyo, use Qdl guide that’s the simplest as it can get. Alot of people are having trouble installing the drivers but I advice you to use windows vista it make it more easier. Good luck.

I really like the mini5 right now its fulfills all my needs large enough for browsing and videos and able to be used as a phone what more can you ask for?….well ….one more thing actually..ATT to get crackin with the 2.2 upgrade!

I agree with you sweet william 100%.I love my streak right now. I’m running froyo right now with ginger bread keyboard, thanks to dj steve rom + it’s freaking smooth and fast. As much as I love the processing speed in the dell streak 7, but if it doesn’t fit in my pocket I’m not buying it.

Streak 7 cant make phone calls and wont fit in my pocket = no sale for me.

• How do the specs compare to the Galaxy Tab? The Tab can makes voice calls, so that’s a plus. Saw one at Radio Shack and it looked pretty nice. I’m happy to see 7″ tablets take off. I sure hope 5″ survives too, because I really like putting the thing in my pocket.

Lionel at Dell said it would be.

Not in the US it can’t. At least not without some hacking.

My guess is that they’ve done it to keep the price down and to keep Android changes to minimum (higher resolutions above WVGA aren’t supported currently).

There may be many reasons, but there’s no excuse. I completely lost interest in Streak 7 when I found out it has the same pixel count as Streak 5.

• Ah, my misunderstanding.

• Yeah What MrBear said…Please..
    Any Dell folks at CES talking about the future of the 5-inch version? Will it be updated or is this the end of the line? Info about the Dell Streak 5inch 2(codename Opus)?

• Really? Did he tweet that? That’s the first “official” reply I’ve heard regarding Honeycomb and the Streak 5. Great news if it is.

“Wondering just how much bigger the Dell Streak 7 is compared to the current Streak most of you already have in your hands, pockets, and bags?”

How about on hips? lol just had to throw that in.

You do know that potentially means no phone support right?

Jesus, I’m not sure why you think you have to root your streak to upgrade, I did no such thing to upgrade. I did choose to root after but there is absolutely no requirement to be rooted that I’m aware of.

• Jenn, is there a way to get any confirmation that DELL is indeed working on a dual core successor to the Streak 5″ that would have a higher resolution than the present 800×480? The news on the Streak 7 came partially good (dual core Tegra2), but mainly disappointing (800×480 on 7″ is such a shame, and only Android 2.2)!!

The screen should have clearly been 1280×800 or a 16:10 equivalent on the Streak 7 from the start, and the Opus One / Streak 5 II should really get something similar to be a hit and to make good use of the 5″ of screen real estate to make it much more functional than a typical 4.0″..4.3″ smartphone!

In my opinion, what would be a better option, since so many here use the streak 5 as a phone, not a tablet (primary use), would be to have the second iteration (streak II) be ‘more’ phone like. ie be more portrait oriented. I like being able to hold it in landscape, but that doesn’t mean I need the sides to be symmetrical. makes the streak larger than it needs to be in my opinion.
    i would also lessen the bevel on the sides a bit.
    I’ve taken a streak apart, and there is a lot more room inside to shrink it down externally while keeping the same beautiful screen.
    make a 5″ phone and a 7″ tablet.
    My wishes at least.

(oh, and mini usb would be nice too)

• +1000 for the miniUSB!!!! (or in fact better the microUSB — it was just this past year legally standardized in European Union as the standard charger connector that all cell phone manufacturers must stick to in order to increase compatibility and decrease the amount of electronic waste)

• Wondering if Jenn is ever going to address the question that’s in about half of the comments here in this thread: any news abount the Dell Streak II (5″) or was the Dell Streak 7″ the thing that was leaked in November codenamed Dell Opus One?

• I do not have any information to share right now. When I do, you guys will be the first to know. :-)

• maybe dell should focus on fixing issues with their current release line, like getting the latest software update to the mini 5. seriously, there were no updates to the axim x51v line when i had it, and now no updates to the steak mini 5. i seriously think that they dont care.

• and for those that would argue that att is holding it up is just silly. att provides dell with the reqs to pass q&a and obviously dell did a shoddy job. other vendors dont have this problem. its consistent with dell. in addition, whats with the screen locking out when i am in a call. if i call someone on accident, the screen locks and i cant hang up. in addition to end the call when i check my voicemails, i have to shut the device down because the screen also locks. is that a phone defect on my device?

Now that suggests you do have information, just can’t share it – NDA?