Dell Streak 7 meets Samsung Galaxy Tab

IMG_7655

Now that you know how much bigger the Dell Streak 7 is compared to the original Streak 5, let's see how it stacks up to the Samsung Galaxy Tab. The two tablets will probably be compared fairly often once the Streak 7 is released since both have 7-inch screens and run Android 2.2, so we may as well get a head start and put them side-by-side and on top of each other.

IMG_7654

IMG_7657

IMG_7653

The perspective in the photos makes it hard to tell which one is bigger at a glance, but the Streak 7 is longer and the Tab is a bit wider. I wanted to take some head-on pics so you could get a better idea of the size difference but the company reps at the NVIDIA booth, where the Streak 7 was on display (I brought my Tab from home), weren't too keen on us taking these shots in the first place.

I plan to buy a Streak 7 as soon as it's available and will take better comparison shots then.

14 thoughts on “Dell Streak 7 meets Samsung Galaxy Tab

• January 8, 2011 at 4:02 am

That shot in the middle of the ends of the two devices makes it look like the Streak 7 is significantly thinner than the Tab. Is that true?

And what’s that panel covering the whole end for?

Also, the resolution on the Streak (800×480) is lower than the Tab (1024×600). Could you see an obvious difference, or does it matter in real life?

• January 8, 2011 at 4:48 pm

It’s probably just some kind of barcode. The flash probably washed it out.

• January 8, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Can the 7 be used as a phone? That is the biggest question to me… the phonearena spec page shows that it can, but just trying to confirm pls.

Thank you.

• January 8, 2011 at 6:19 pm

I’m referring to the cover (I used the word “panel” before; probably not the best choice of words) that is on the right side/end of the Streak 7 as shown in the third picture. The cover is quite large, and runs almost the whole width of the side of the unit.

• January 8, 2011 at 9:00 pm

The SD and SIM card slots are under there. I’ll post some pics with my hands-on report in the next few days.

As for your previous questions, the Tab is thinner than the Streak 7 except for on the ends because of the way both are designed.

Since most apps aren’t written for anything higher than WVGA (you actually need to do a little trick on the Tab to get all apps to run full screen), the Tab’s higher resolution doesn’t really make much of a difference, particularly because its LCD density is very high. The Tab’s default density is 240, so in certain apps, there is actually less shown on the screen than on the Streak 5. Thankfully, LCD density is easy to change once rooted.

I suppose the Streak 7’s resolution may be an issue when Honeycomb is released, but I don’t see it as a problem with Froyo.

• January 9, 2011 at 9:21 am

I love the streak for its faster cpu but , form factor goes to galaxy tab and for its phone capability.

• January 9, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Thanks Jenn… one more question… I bought the Galaxy Tab in Nov but returned it cus on Tmo it only gets 2G data with phone flashed. Also, as you mentioned the 7 in. tablets fit well in a man’s hand… but as a woman, I found it too large to hold comfortably….

So I just got a Dell Streak 5 this past week…. love it… perfect size for my hand and I think it’s a good compromise between portability and maximum screen size (I wish someone would make a 6″ tab tho….)…

Big question tho is it will it ever be released with 3G/4G reception on Tmobile, as you kind of hinted at in a previous thread comment… something about 3G coming to the “current version of the Streak”…

What are the odds of a Tmo 3G version of the Streak 5? I have no AT&T reception where I live…

tia.

• January 9, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Galaxy Tab in North America does not have phone capabilities, which is dumb.

• January 9, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I Agree.

I was wondering with the current dimension of the dell streak, what would the biggest screen fit on it? 5.6″

I think 5.6″ would be perfect. I use the fujitsu U2010 and it has the same size screen which was perfect.

Also 1024*600 res would be great as well.

I am currently ordering the whopping 4800 mha batter for the streak….too bad it does not have a kickstand

• January 10, 2011 at 6:24 am

After having the tab for a month, I am loving the form factor of the Streak much better. Much lighter, thinner, easier to hold in one hand for a period of time…

The tab screen (or any 7″ screen) is nice… but for portability and functionality on the go I’m really liking the Streak much better.

I wish the resolution was better… my only complaint.

I added adw launcher last night with the black glass theme with the simi clock and am loving the look now…

• January 13, 2011 at 6:02 am

Can anyone confirm if the cable/accessories for the tab work with the streak? I thought they were both pdmi but read somewhere else that the tab cable does not work with the streak :/

• January 30, 2011 at 11:42 pm

5.6″ is the best size, but only if the bezel isn’t too big – i.e. about 5mm on each side. The ends (in portrait view) can be bigger, but overall size of the device is key (so width and thickness as well as curvature. Length is also important for fitting in a trouser (pants) pocket. The 7″ and a bit bigger are for jacket pockets.