Good and EVO

HTC EVO Shift 4G gets official, but do you care?

Evo-shift-4g Sprint formally announced the HTC EVO Shift 4G yesterday and it's pretty much exactly what all of the previous leaks and rumors suggested it would be: Android 2.2, 3.6-inch WVGA capacitive touchscreen, 800MHz CPU, 512MB RAM, 5MP rear camera, 720p HD video recording, slide-out QWERTY keyboard, WiFi, Bluetooth 2.1, 3G, 4G, $150 on contract, available January 9th.

And that about does it. A fine phone, sure, but a bit of a letdown in the context of being the "next EVO," don't you think? I don't doubt that an "EVO 2" is in the works that actually raises the bar that our EVO has put in place, but there's no sign of it just yet.

I don't plan to cover the EVO Shift 4G here at G&E due to lack of interest, but since it bears the EVO name and will be released in a matter of days, I had to acknowledge it one last time.

Crossing my fingers that the next addition to what is now an EVO family will be truly worthy of its name!

[Sprint]

45 thoughts on “HTC EVO Shift 4G gets official, but do you care?

Well put. I completely agree. But there is no doubt that labelling the phone “EVO” will definatley increase the sales of the product. It’s all about marketing the product, and EVO has quickly established itself as a winner.

Don’t know what asd was thinking… I take that back!!! On to more EVO talk. I think it could be a good intro for people seeking EVO like qualities in a phone. Entry lvl EVO, OG EVO, and hopefully an Ultra EVO. Fingers crossed…

• I’m thinking this could be the phone for my wife. She has a Palm Pre (I know) now. She doesn’t want the EVO because it is too big.

Coming from Android Central. Forgive me if I’m messing up doing this Jenn..: “It’s time to stop thinking as the Evo 4G as just a phone, and the Shift as a follow-up. They’re just the start of the Evo line. More phones are coming.” (Rubbing my hands together…)

I’ve been trying to figure where this fits in Sprint’s lineup. Why would someone care for the Shift 4G over the Epic 4G? Aren’t they about the same device? I know, Samsung vs. HTC, but frankly, I don’t see much of a difference.

Better question is why aren’t manufacturers making more phone for Sprint? I am reading on other sites about 12-20 new devices for other carriers and nothing going on for Sprint. What gives??? I love my evo, but would like to know what to look forward to in the future for Sprint.

Who determines lack of interest??

It comes down to price. The Shift is $100 less than the Epic, which is a lot for some people to stomach. This phone is going to pick up all the customers who want a “flagship” phone with a slider but don’t want the $250 price tag.

• I meant personal interest, sorry. I did an informal Twitter survey too and GE readers who responded said not to bother with it too. If there is strong reader interest here, then I will gladly reconsider.

• I was thinking about buying this for my wife, since she likes the physical keyboard. But the lack of front facing camera kills it for me. I rather go with the Epic.

• I am dissapoint.

AT&T is lining up a dozen phones and Sprint just has a dumbed down slider and a hotspot. They will continue to fall behind.

• it makes sense for current EVO users to not be all that interested. i’m a Palm Pre user looking for an upgrade but the original EVO and the Epic were both too big.

I’ve been reading the comments and you guys need to realize that regardless of how amazing the Evo 4G is and what an amazing display the Epic 4G has, they both have a 4.3″ display which in reality is great for me but not for everyone. Some people want the power of the Evo 4G but not the size. And yes, one of its main perks is the slide out keyboard which I know was on high demand for our Evo 4G. This is just my opinion and if you decide to comment just keep it clean and somewhat knowledgeable. Have a blessed day everyone.

• The Epic don’t have a 4.3″ display? What are u talking about?

Chill u wierdooo same shit

• am i correct in assuming its blue? if so i like that but thats aboutb where it stops. we arleady have a great phone the evo is it. sprint shouldnt keep trying to re-invent the wheel but instead start r and d for the next big thing.

• this phone really isnt all that innovative, considering our phones have been out for 6 months already. with that technology, it could of easily been released 3 months ago…

• yeah, at&t is definitely catching up, its android game is probably gonna beat sprints by middle of the year

Again, people still want/use slide out keypads? Whats next, an EVO with a flip screen?

• Um HTC, I already have a 4″ touchscreen, what the hell do I want a keypad for? And the slidey-thing… one more mechanical piece to break.

I’ll stay with my current v3 wonderfully rooted (Fresh) EVO, thanks.

• AT&T must come out swinging, when Verizon officially announces the iPhone there will be a mass exodus. So anyone considering AT&T will have to think real hard.

• ehh, what a let down. If it had the exact same specs as the EVO I’d really trade to it. But it’s a downgrade. boo

• You do realize that the 800mhz processor in this phone blows the 1ghz snapdragon out of the water? But yeah, it’d be more of a sidegrade at the moment.. Although I would love to trade up and get rid of my Evo

• Is Sprint going to come out with any dual core phones or are they going to let everyone pass them up?

My mistake, 4 inch display.

Jeez. . . what is this “The day of the whiners”!

I have a upgrade available, just waiting for a Dual processor HTC EVO running at 1.25 Mhz. My son is also looking forward for it, so he can take over my current EVO.

Was the EVO presented at CES last year? No, so dont get all bent out of shape because Sprint only presented the EVO shift….Other phones are coming. Sprint would have to be drunk or dumb as rocks not come with a EVO 2 in June…

• By removing the check on this Firefox setting, the download manager that pops up will no longer show up
      when a file needs to be downloaded. But video downloading is still required if you want to watch the movies on your mobile devices or share them with your friends, etc.

Dean Hachamovitch, general manager, responsible for the explanation of the
      Internet Explorer, Microsoft decided in the company IEBlog:Office
      2010 download is available now.

It doesnt have the front facing camera, so its not an EVO

• To small of a screen, I wish someone would make a large screen phone with a sliding keyboard, it’s so annoying that they all get only 3.6-3.7″ screens with the exception of the 4.0″ on the Samsung epic, but that’s a Samsung and thus horrible updates frequency and horrible touchwiz interface, it would be so much nicer if the EVO shift was a 4.3″ slider, if they could make one with that size screen and a thickness around the same as the Droid 2 it would be perfect IMO.

• Well, no, MR. Matter-of-Fact, I did not.
    lol

So, let’s sidegrade

• Sprint said that is not a replacement to the evo. It is a compliment to the evo. They also said that the evo2 is in the works. The only reason they gave this phone the evo name is because they consider the evo as part of a lineup like “droid” on verizon. Either way this phone is a good entry phone. Only thing different from this and evo that make a difference for some people is the smaller screen and front facing camera. I myself don’t mind the smaller screen and I have never ever done a video call or used the front facing camera. I think this phone is going to do well. I may even sell my evo to get this phone and then upgrade to evo2 when it comes out.

• Using a shift right now from radioshack. It benchmarked higher then my evo on linpack and quadrant. VERY snappy phone. I can see no difference compared to evo.

• EVO’s won’t be around forever, you may have to switch to just a android site or maybe a 4″+ phone screen site to complement your tablet site.

Long live the HTC FALCON!

• The pic is an Htc Evo, with a picture photoshopped on it. No mention of Sprint in the article or who’s making the phone.

• There is definitly room for this phone @ Sprint for the following reasons
    Cheaper than Evo and epic
    Smaller than Evo and Epic
    Has 4G
    Has keyboard and trackpad
    Has 2nd generation snapdragon 800 mhz processor that is comparable to Evo and Epic maybe faster
    Has the axis chip like Epic for better gaming than Evo
    Worthy of the Evo name

As I sit here typing I’m looking over at my very loved Evo and my newly purhcased Evo shift– (couldn’t wait for it to be at the sprint store so I broke down and went to Radio Shack– I have a serious phone addiction) In my first 12 hours with the shift I wasn’t really in love– :c( It was kind of how I felt about the torch coming from my 9650…. Yea.. it adds some stuff– but nothing new enough to make me just SUPER EXCITED! actually I did feel kind of let down– I bought my cousin a virgin mobile droid and I feel like we are on level with the shift– but the longer I have it– I can feel a comfort level developing.
    I am a teacher and avid social phone user– FB, Twitter, etc. etc. and SPELLING is of upmost importance to me on things that I post– with onscreen keyboard I was making mistakes galore :c( so the shift is helping me out alot with that–
    Just posting my thoughts– we shall see what a day or two brings– not letting go of my evo yet…

The future for SPRINT is pretty clear and I love the direction they are going in. As a current htc evo 4g owner since june 2010 I knew the presence of the Evo or sprint would be none at CES this year clearly because sprint does there own confrences and they are famous for appearing at CTIA in March so be patient…The current HTC EVO 4G was the best smartphone obn the market in 2010 and clearly put sprint on the map and today in 2011 sprint has welcomed the NEW HTC EVO SHIFT 4G to the Evo family that is currently being done on sprints network…Just like the Droid family on Verizon…If you clearly look at every device that was named at CES this past week where did the for factors come from??? WHO DID THEY COPY???THEY COPIED SPRINT AND THE CURRENT HTC EVO 4G…During the Verizon confrence Mr. Peter Chou took the stage and clearly said more of HTC will be heard during the year with UPCOMING NEW DEVICES AND TRUST ME THE NEW HTC EVO 2 4G WILL BE ANNOUNCED EITHER AT MOBILE WORLD CONGRESS OR CTIA IN MARCH…We as current htc evo owners should be proud of sprint for there updates that keep our evo fresh and on point and for there oly carrier in the industry with UNLIMTED DATA no other carrier has that and will not have it. All those new devices that came out for Verizon and At&t will be LOCKED DOWN AND DATA CAPPED….THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN ON SPRINT AND WILL NOT HAPPEN TO ANY CURRENT OR FURTURE EVO OWNER…I APPLAUD SPRINT PERIOD

Dont be disappointed in sprint…They clearly know what they are doing they are not new to this 4g dance…New is Verizon and At&t to this party and trust me regardless of the devices named at ces this week those carriers will data cap and lock down those devices like they always do….That data cap garbage will never EXIST ON SPRINT…AND CURRENT AND FUTURE EVO OWNERS WILL BE ABLE TO US THERE DEVICES AS INTENDED ON THE BEST CARRIER WITH UNLIMITED USE AND NO PROBLEMS WITH THIRD PARTY APPLICATION LOADED ON THE DEVICE….THE HTC EVO 2 4G WILL BE ANNOUNCED AT MOBILE WORL CONGRESS OR CTIA IN MARCH ANOTHER DEVICE THAT WILL BE ADDED TO THE HTC EVO FAMILY ON SPRINT….I AN SO PROUD

At&t so called android game cannot and will never beat sprints android game. The htc evo 4g is the granddaddy of 4g the first 4g orginal device that came to market..sprint is not new to this game and with there UNLIMITED DATA NO CAPS TRULY MAKES AT&T LOOK LIKE WELFARE…CURRENT HTC EVO OWNERS LOVE THERE DEVICES CAUSE THEY CAN USE THEM AS THEY WERE INTENDED WITHOUT BEING LOCKED DOWN OR CAPPED…AT&T AND VERIZON WILL RIP OFF THOSE NEW CUSTOMERS THAT ARE COMING TO PURCHASE THOSE DEVICE AND I FEEL SORRY FOR THOSE CUSTOMERS…NOTHING IS BETTER THAN SPRINT MARK THAT DOWN

• The shift has a less powerful processor as well… All I see is a watered down EVO with a keyboard.