FeaturesUMPC

More time with the Viliv X70 Windows 7 slate

IMG_7441

After my brief affair with the Viliv X70 Windows 7 slate yesterday, I was eager to meet with the device again today and get a feel for what it was really all about, especially since it's been confirmed to have the new 1.5GHz Intel Oak Trail processor nestled inside its ultra slim 14.3mm body.

Photo 2

The X70 I met today was outfitted with just 1GB of RAM and Windows 7 Home Premium, so I know that it wasn't as fast as it could be.

The capacitive mouse buttons worked better than I thought they would, though I did have to tap them more than once sometimes when they either didn't register or they there was enough of a delay that I just thought the tap didn't register. Navigating the 1024 x 600 capacitive multitouch-enabled screen with a finger isn't terribly precise when you're dealing with Windows 7, but it was accurate enough to be usable. I did find myself wishing that an optical mouse or trackpad were included on the bezel, though, as it would have made navigation much easier.

IMG_7451

IMG_7452

Build quality is great, though as you can see from the photos, your fingers will leave their prints all over the entire glossy face of the unit.

IMG_7440

Photo 1

One of the four touch buttons on the right side of the display has the sole task of launching and hiding the on-screen split keypad. The capacitive screen and built-in multitouch make thumb typing on this keyboard quite pleasant. Spilt layouts work really well on 7" landscape devices and the X70 is no exception.

I'm not sure if it can be remapped, but the FN touch button on the bottom of the right side was set up to control the screen orientation when I saw it. The tablet has an accelerometer so I'm not sure why the button would need to be used for mode switching.

As one of the only new 7" slates running full-blown Windows to be showcased at CES, I think the Viliv X70 will find its way into the lives of many mobile professionals later this year. Oak Trail alone is enough to make a lot of people interested, though 2GB of RAM should really be the minimum. Even with 1GB, though, it's still a significant upgrade to the existing Atom-based X70EX.

I really like how Viliv is making similar products for consumers (X7 Android) and professionals (X70 Windows 7). There's something for everyone!

10 thoughts on “More time with the Viliv X70 Windows 7 slate

I’ve been looking forward to this post. Thanks for the report Jenn! The info is very much appreciated. :-D

• No oak tail version of the N5? I sure hope they’re not ditching the UMPC with keyboard and mouse market like everyone else is.

I love my N5 but if they upgraded it to Oak Trail, 2 gigs mem and put a HDMI video out slot it would be the perfect little machine.

• This seems the best thing after the UMID M1 revolution, the 1st 7″ that’s done right.

I was hoping for an upgraded N5 but instead we get the same thing with Verizon’s slow 3G and some tablets I don’t want. My N5 might be my last UMPC (keyboard and mouse are required for me) with manufacturers leaving the space left and right. Maybe they’ll fail to sell their tablets and go back to making clamshells and sliders.

• N5 is a novelty umpc with a very small screen almost unusable, good only for checking email. 7″ is the smallest screen to be usable

A 7″ screen would be optimal, but the N5 screen is usable for my purposes. I check email, browse the web, have a copy of my service database on it, and watch TV and movies. I used to use my PSP to watch movies and check email before the smart phones, but still used PSP for movies after my Blackberry and iPhone. Now I can let my phone be a phone and my N5 is my little with me for everything device.

• I’m very interested in this new version of the X70 but am hopping “Viliv” will include a active digitizer possibly utilizing the “N-trig” technology similar to the “HP Slate 500”. I need to be able to take notes during meetings with “Evernote”.

This is the only option I’m disappointed to see not included. A pen/stylus feature was included in the original X70 and would definitely take this much needed device over the top as my everything device. I do hope someone from Viliv with decision making power is reading this.

• See the Slate is for sale at Misco’s UK site… but they only offer Wifi version (no 3G) and told me I won’t be able to connect an external keyboard via the micro-USB port, so it seems USB is client only!

I.e. no possibility of connecting USB 3G cards or external USB hard drives or USB synching with smartphones… about as useless as an ARM / Android device!! :-(