Good and EVO

Sprint-tweet-feb24 Since there was no sign of a true successor to the HTC EVO—an EVO 2, if you will—at CES last month or MWC this month and CTIA isn't until next month, many of us have resorted to refreshing Sprint's Twitter page for updates on the new phone it will unveil on Thursday.

The carrier's most recent tweet about the upcoming handset let the cat's tail out of the bag by revealing that it would "have a hub for gaming, music, pictures and video." Although this suggests a device running Windows Phone 7, which is all about the hubs, the tweet was posted 5 hours after the original "next new Sprint phone" teaser was posted, giving people plenty of time to think about the EVO 2. So by the time all that hub nonsense showed up, many were already being swept away and carried off by EVO 2 fantasies.

And even though the odds are in favor of WP7, with the existing EVO turning one in a few months (equivalent to being admitted into a nursing home in cell phone years) and Sprint teasing a new phone on Twitter, we may as well just keep on dreaming about the EVO 2 until the CDMA variant of the HTC 7 Pro wakes us up on Thursday.

[@Sprint on Twitter]

21 thoughts on “Sprint unlikely to announce HTC EVO 2 on February 24th, we’ll keep dreaming anyway

• That is so funny. I tweeted back to sprint after they announced the hub and said that this sounds more like wp7 instead of evo2. I hope its evo2 but I doubt it.

they simply can’t release it without Netflix streaming capability… they MUSTN’T.

• Yeah – pretty much confirmed from various sources it is the HTC 7 Pro.

It could also be the sony xperia play. If I’m not mistaking the xperia play was getting a hub fr gaming.

I’m hoping for the same thing, the xperia play is more of a Sprint phone to me anyway. Kyocera Echo and WP7. Sprint needs something big to get out the rut it seems to be in with phone announcements.

Yep. EVO 2 would be nice, however I don’t think it’s there yet. I still love the fact that nearly an entire year later and I have the most advanced Android handset with the EVO 4G. Impressive. Suck it Iphone.

Why do I keep hearing about an EVO 2? The EVO just came out last year. It’s capabilities have barely been tapped.

• Yeah it will be a windows phone 7 devices….That’s ok but definately NO EVO that’s for sure….But we will wait i more month…Since the htc incredible S has been announced and we have heard of the Droid X2 coming soon the Htc evo2 4g can not be to far behind….I look forward to that truly….With all the current devices announced for the market between now and the next 3months we can say as of right now the list goes as follows….#1 device on the market is the Samsung Galaxy S2…slated forr tmobile…#2 device on the market right now is the Lg Optimus 2x….also slated for tmobile…#3 device on the market is Lg Optimus 3d…Unknown as to which carrier will support this device might be tmobile….#4 device on the market is Htc Thunderbolt #5 device is the Motorola Atrix 4g on At&t…#5 device is the Samsung Galaxy 4g….#6 Samsung Galaxy Infuse also on At&t….All these devices are solid IT IS NO SECRET THAT THE HTC EVO 2 4G WILL HAVE TO COME REAL STRONG WITH THERE’S….

I’m still pumped about having my EVO, and I’ve had it for 6 months. It rocks. Hard to see how anything can be much better, besides the obvious processor/memory enhancements of course.

Can’t HTC and Sprint see the success and our LOVE for the EVO … For GOD’s sake just freaking announce the EVO-2 so I can be at ease … All those Atrix and Optimus phones are very tempting.

we need those new chips that have Netflix DRM baked in…WHEN? WHEN? WHEN Jen???

I really do not want a Windows phone ever. Just not interested.

• go to playon.com and use netflix from there its awesome….

• I have friends with newer so-called “hotter” phones. My rooted EVO kicks all their asses — daily — even after all this time. SPRINT management sux, so don’t expect any business/marketing strategy from those bastids. I’m hoping HTC realizes that they need to create/rebrand some killer HOT hardware for the loyal Sprint EVO consumer base. Then they can just present it to Sprint as the next gen EVO offering. -RGE

• Smartphones years are like 10 Xs dog years Patrick, that makes the Evo 70 the first week of June and like 50 now.

• Richard,

The Atrix is the King Supreme right now.

Evo2 yes yes come on come on,were waiting my love

• If I were a betting man, Sprint will be announcing today their decision to embrace LTE.

• It is too soon. We all got ours (mostly) on 6/4, so we have another year to wait until our contract is up. If they are smart, they will come out with the Evo-2 about 18 months after the original launch. That gives everyone a few months to dream and drool over the new one. Then they launch in April of 2012 and we will all go out and get one on 6/4.

Any earlier, and you are just making people mad. And besides the Evo still holds it own with anything out there!

• Nothing in that link alludes to an addition to the EVO family. Or did I miss it?