Good and EVO

CyanogenMod 7.0 now available for HTC EVO 4G

Cm7 With so many people already months into their use of various CyanogenMod 7 (CM7) nightly builds and release candidates on their rooted HTC EVO 4Gs, those not following the custom ROM's progress may be wondering why it's appearing in so many headlines today.

The reason is simple. The standard-setting AOSP-based CM7 was released today. And we're not talking about RC5 or another nightly; this is the full-fledged final version based on Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) with working 4G and HDMI with full mirroring. Both of these EVO-defining features have been working for the last few months, as you know, but their inclusion in the ROM bears repeating given all the work that went into getting them in.

Though there's a lingering GPS bug when running it on the EVO (fix at the xda link below), CM7 is more stable and has more features than ever before. So if you've been waiting for the ROM to lose its RC status and mature into a full release before seeing what all the fuss is about for yourself, then today's the big day.

[CyanogenMod | xda-developers] Thanks to everyone who sent this in!

46 thoughts on “CyanogenMod 7.0 now available for HTC EVO 4G

• Yes I tried to flash it today. All I get is the Cyanogen (mod) 7 splash like abouve and nothing else. Now I read Bluetooth A2DP is not working. Till that is fixed I will not try again.

OrionNE

I am getting reports that this “final” cm7 build is anything but and full of buggy goodness.

No problems noted here yet.

Is anyone else getting a giant meh feeling from Gingerbread? I am sure it does something cool (besides the on/off animations), but for the life of me, in regular daily use I notice no performance improvement whatsoever with GB over Froyo. I can run a GB theme on top of Froyo and get pretty much 100% the same experience.

• How is battery life relative to Sprint’s Froyo with Sense?

• No probs here. I switch out between this and MIUI. I tried using MYN but dang, the XDA forum for that ROM is well over 300 posts long. No way I am able to keep up with that mess.

@PJ I’ve noticed literally about a 50%increase in battery. I unplugged at 7am, and 14 hours later my battery reads 39%. Granted, I’m not a power user on my phone, but even for the amount I use it it was a huge battery boost.

• I keep getting the splash over and over, Im holding down power and down volume to do a recover, what am I doing wrong?

• I’ve used CM7 on and off for the past month. Flashed this final release today and the GPS wasn’t working. I had to do the GPS fix. I still can’t get my visual voicemail to work though. Had both VVM and GPS working on CM7 release 4. Also, CM seems to have an issue with video chat(using tango or yahoo). I appear upside down to the other party.

I honestly don’t see any noticeable stability or performance enhancements from release 4. The only reason I even really stayed with CM on and off was that the battery life was really good using the Savage Zen kernal. I don’t know if all the hiccups are worth it though.

I may go back to using Myn again.

• You need to go back and wipe data. Not enough room on internal memory

• Yeah, I will be staying far away from this one…still buggy and just mask fixes. The majority of people here have even seen issues. Sorry but CM will never touch my evo.

• I’ll await their first bug fix round on this one. I ran a nightly for a night and had so many issues I flashed back, ran another nightly, flashed back, they’re doing great things but those great things negatively affect my normal things.

Hope they get the last of the buggies fixed and I’ll jump on and sip some kool-aid

I get fantastic battery life if I’m on a wifi network and / or if auto sync is off (> 24 hours on a single charge, light use). If auto sync is on and the phone is using 3G, the battery life is much worse than CM6.

In my time with cm7, I have noticed absolutely no improvement in battery life. No better, but no worse either.

Haven’t noticed any issues yet, but, like you, I have had issues with every release candidate. SMS’s not going through to multiple recepients, freezing to the point of pulling the battery (almost on a weekly basis)…. I like what cm7 represents in theory, but it’s been a hard rom to love.

I am a huge fan of CM ever since the first releases I had it on my G1.
    I’ve been trying to keep CM MOD on my Evo, but the 7.0 was full of “broken”.
    4G is so crappy I just keep it off (works fine with Sense ROM).
    3G is so slow, it feels like the packets are delivered by snails which have been shot with tranquilizer darts.
    GPS issues persist.
    No 8MP stills.
    No 720p video recording.
    Battery life with the stock kernel is aweful, and there are some Blutooth issues with latest Savaged-Zen kernels (at least I have them with my in-car BT).
    Long story short – I am switching back to VaelPak ROM in hopes that one day CM team will have a flash-worthy release. I used ot love CM on my G1 but I dread it on my Evo. The only good part about it – lots and lots of free space on the phone.

There’s plenty of bugs still in CM7:

1.) GPS is very inaccurate. When stationary my location jumps all around 30 feet at a time. Precision goes up and down wildly. Sense does a MUCH better job with GPS.

2.) Battery on wifi is great, but on 3G is very bad, much worse than cm6 or sense.

3.) Occasionally when leaving wifi the phone will not switch to 3G. You have to manually toggle Mobile Data to get it to come back.

4.) Lots of other little bugs.

This ROM is nothing to write home about.

• Like others have already said, there are still some major features missing from CM 7 on the EVO. Front facing camera still doesn’t work well with any app other than Camera. 8 MP stills and 720p video aren’t there. Those two kill it as a daily driver for me.

I’ve enjoyed using CM and hope to move to it, but I can’t do it until more of the EVO features are working properly. I’ve had other issues with ADW being really slow to scroll between home screens. But I don’t feel like messing with other launchers until the other issues are resolved.

Minor issues that don’t bother me quite as much at this time:
    4G slowness issues reported by almost all, saying it is much slower than stock
    GPS issues fixable
    Some people report MMS isn’t working
    Also it has a version of the old ROM Manager installed that won’t let you download ROMs (says you need a newer version of ROM Manager that it won’t let you install)

I think that it’s certainly close to RC status on the EVO. But it certainly isn’t what I would call a milestone release ready ROM, at least on the EVO.

It’s not connecting to wifi. I turn it on it reads my router and disconnects, then tries to connect and disconnects againand I get a message saying this feature is unavailable.. anyone else having trouble connection to their wifi?

I like CM7 but I’m going back to Froyo. The only reason I swapped out was because of the full mirror posted a month or so back and now that its available on stock with 720p and functioning front facing camera I’m moving CM7 to the side till certain kinks get worked out.

• I LOVE being able to put the status bar on the bottom!!! Just wish I could add recent apps to the notification tray…..

Like others… I have all the same issues with CM7. Vaelpak is awesome so anyone with a disappointing fail on CM7 should definitely try Vaelpak.

I heard Ultimate Droid is good as well but I think I’ll just hold off switching ROMs for a while.

Now I’m trying to mod my Coby Kyros MID7024. Apparently no one has had success yet.

WHAT ABOUT 4G DOES 4G WORK????

• 4G has worked since the nightlies months ago. It still works. Some people are saying it’s buggy though. I’ve found 4g in general to be a pain on every rom

• i have a question for any and all that can help out; i loved the cyanogen 7 rom… but for me the deal breaker on ALL of the “stock” android style roms is the camera and camcorder qualities as mentioned above by a few others. is there any way to have the camera and camcorder quality from the evo but with the cyanogen mod or any rom out there that has this??

i went to ultimate droid and its Amazing!!!

Ultimate Droid lets you take 8mp photos, and I believe 720p videos, not positive on the videos. But I can confirm that my photos are being taken in 8mp.

ive been trying to put cm7 onto my evo but its a little buggy i cant seem to get any of the google apps are get my contacts from gmail not sure what to do… is the cm7 on the link the good one if anyone can help out thank you

720p indeed!! lol

• Alot of same isues as everyone else I thought the final release would fix alot of issues but it did not. I did have an issue with the GPS it started putting me way off my position I did go back and use the fix which was posted in the CM7 review but the only thing when you use the dialer the wrong gps code is on the post it should be ##4772579# not ##4118513# Went to and downloaded the UD rom that was posted on this site and its all of what I thought CM7 was supposed to be, If you want CM7 without the bugs glitches and headaches download the Ultimate Droid ROM you wont be sorry!!!

• I just wanted to say that I’m loving CM7! But than again I read every last little install instruction, and took the time to set it all up right. Hmmm…

• thanks bradleyw801 and evobluballs! i tried the latest version of ultimate droid FIRST actually and i had the same camera app… it didnt have any options for changing resolutions or quality to 720p or 8mp; is there a specific version that i should be looking to get that has the correct camera capabilities??

Flashed and installed – The only thing i have found buggy would be the keypad – and its not enough bugs to complain about.

However, I’m interested to know if any of you can use your hotspot with wimax? Im looking for a 4G hotspot – not these two things seperately.

Anyone?

Flashed and installed, I have no idea why I have not used this MOD before. I have used every other GB MOD under the sun and this is by far the best, although I do love my Salvage team GB. The GPS fix works great, just do not type in the ##numbers# the are wrong type in the ##letters#. One thing that has always had me switch between Sense and GB Roms were the GPS bugs, this fix has changed all of that. Thank you.

Everything I have read on this mod states that you can. Give it a try.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried it multiple times. Speedtesting the wimax directly to the phone gets me some 5 to 6 mbps. Only problem is when i turn the hotspot on and attempt to browse from my laptop it stalls out. The laptop connects to the network, but when attempting to browse i gots nada. When i revert back to 3g the page loads. Was hoping someone experienced this as well.Guess i gotta study up on it a bit.

farid,
    on Ultimate Droid, when you click on the camera app click on settings the the tiny dial on the bottom right and scroll down you can set it to 8mp but most likely it will be set already on that, same when you go to camcorder just select the video quality to high if it isnt already selected on that. Must say Im still loving the UD-rom my battery with this rom has lasted me almost 2 days!! its sick!!!

• mr blueballs… i appreciate that… dont know why i didnt scroll to the bottom of that option… ive installed and de-installed this thing like 4 times since this review trying to get the camera to at least be ok!

thanks for the help again, next; we gotta get the 720p quality for the camcorder lol

lol i didnt know you can do that either till like the third time i played with the camera settings.

and you guys wonder why I am not rooted. LOL!

I flashed CM7 the other night, and while it is fairly nice, and I like a lot of it, there are some key things I was used to that apparently do not exist, unless there’s a way of implementing them of which I’m not aware. For the “good” HTC apps or widgets like weather, and FB contacts imported into and synced with the calendar, as well as the Sprint TV.
    Is there a way to add those back on, or does the CM7 build not allow for it in terms of room and performance?

Either way, I’ve had the entire device lock up on me twice! Once while dialing a number and switching to contacts in the middle of it and then another after installing a basic app.

I have also had the bottom menu – with shortcuts to the browser, phone and apps – totally disappear and not being able to get it back in quick order. For the most part, it works great and I have little complaint, but there are some nuances like these I do not like and some items I was used to which are now gone. I’ll probably test drive it a little longer, but might switch back to Sense.

• Everything was working until I decided to reboot my phone, once it turned back on the phone was on airplane mode and I kept getting a foreclose android message every second (literally) it doesn’t want to connect with the mobile browser or nothing just pure foreclose!!!!

• I tried 7.0.3.1 last night. 8 MP stills and 720p video was working! I didn’t get to test out the FFC, but I’ve heard that it might be working better.

I’ve seen people posting about better 4G performance and there are fixes available for the MMS and GPS issues.

I’ll probably give it another shot as my daily driver here soon.