Software UpdatesStreakSmart

Dell rolls out Android 2.2.2 update to unlocked Dell Streak

Dell_Logo Last month, the Dell Streak 7 was treated to an official update to Android 2.2.2 and today it's the unlocked Streak 5's turn.

Based on all the tips that have been hitting my inbox in the last few hours, unlocked units (build 318) already running 2.2 are in the midst of receiving a system notification that leads them to download version 15609 (build 351) of the new software.

I'm running StreakDroid 1.9.0 on my Streak and have only been receiving info about the new OTA update's existence rather than its contents, so unfortunately, I have no details on what's included at the moment. I do know that the 188MB update can be downloaded manually here

and StreakSmart forum member Mobs has been able to root it, but that's about it. If anyone's tried it and can shed some light on what it's all about (e.g., is the new Stage included?), please share it in the comments.

As for when the AT&T-locked Streak should expect to get this update? Don't even ask!

Thanks to everyone who sent this in!

55 thoughts on “Dell rolls out Android 2.2.2 update to unlocked Dell Streak

I have a locked Streak on 318. Got the update notice. It says it is “Froyo 2.2.2 with Dell Stage 1.6 Update” No further info.

Problem is, the notice goes on to say “This software update includes:” then nothin more. No list of features, no download button, nothin.

Don’t know whether it’s teh AT&T lock stopping things or whether it is just a busy server.

If you are running 318 then you do not have an AT&T lock.

I installed the update. Wifi seems to be faster but that is about it. I went from 345 to 351. It caused me to have to reroot of course, reinstall Busybox, and redo the Hulu hack. But I did not have to reinstall any programs.

Ran Quadrant and there’s no speed increase.

The main changes are for those upgrading from 318, you get the newer stage widgets.

Ammendment. Yes your phone is locked when it comes to using sims, but that is it.

• Well, so far the biggest change I’ve noticed is that ooVoo is now bundled and launches itself every time you start the phone. There appears to be no way to turn it off, and of course you can’t uninstall it.

This is some major BS from Dell as far as I’m concerned.

• There are 2 ways to fix that:
    1) you can freeze the program by using some app freezer from android market
    2) root your phone and delete the .apk permanently.

• I don’t like the few changes to the UI they made like the the little dots that let you which screen you where on that appeared on the bottom left and boot right in 2.0 are now bars that are some what of an eyesore that show up on the top of the screen. The new look for the stage UI widgets is okay but i like the old one better but thats just my taste. The accu weather widget is now big and bulky. performance wise 2.2.2 seems to be more stable and a tad bit more responsive, so if you want a more stable build and don’t mind the (in my opinion) less appealing stage widgets, the crap apps like oovoo, napster,pageonce, and new unlock sound (that i personally don’t like) dive right in

• I bought my streak from best buy with the white back. I used the qdltool to upgrade. Immediately following the qdltool update I received and ota update to a newer version. I like this build(not stage, I use launcher pro) because it lets me thether(hotspot/Att/unlimited data). My question is: if I upgrade will I loose my ability to tether without att’s permission? Thanks for responses…(btw streak w/ froyo is the best hands down. Lovin the flash support, ffc for tango and oovoo, huge screen, and the USB host.)

I like it. First off, bluetooth voice dialing now works! I’m going to give Stage Launcher another try, it looks better and you can pin apps to the home stage. I’ll probably go back to Launcher Pro but Dell’s Stage is a nice alternative to have, and its nice that you can turn it off if you want to. Overall I have to say, good work Dell.

i just bout a brand new unlocked dell streak and when booted up and activated it was already running the new 2.2 update and has dell stage very nice and beautiful layout this is my second dell streak i first had the locked att but got sick of waiting for the update.

• Thanks, but the only app freeze programs I could find also require root, and I really don’t relish going through the hassle of rooting my phone.

Since I bought my Streak direct from Dell I contacted their support number (0844 444 3244 in the UK) and they basically had no idea what I was talking about. Their script had me factory reset the phone again, which of course did nothing, and they have now escalated the issue.

Somehow I doubt they’ll have an answer for me when they call back tomorrow, but I’m going to persist in making noise about this until I get a proper answer from Dell.

• Hi mate have u rooted the 351 and how did u do it?
    Can u provide the details?
    Also my home, menu and return leds started to dimm after few seconds even though the screen is still on, very annoying and few other annoying changes in the swype keypad, power widget get larger and there is an extra navigation display on top of the screen.
    Did this things happen to u as well?
    Thanks mate.
    Cheers.

• Hi mate, have ur home, menu and back leds started to dimm in few seconds?
    Thanks cheers.

• Email from the stage widget still doesn’t work for yahoo but everytging is is excellent im so happy I swiched to the UK unlocked baseband, because I was running 1.6 for too long and it sucked…..

• I want to change the temperature from Fahrenheit to Celcius, but I haven’t found a way to change this.

• 6 months of waiting for an update and the headset volume output issue is still not fixed. Dell has completely lost me as a customer thanks to this device.

• OK, after a day of use I’m now finding that Wi-Fi inexplicably stops passing data to some or all applications (usually everything but the browser, but sometimes that too) and will have to be toggled off and on again. Never had anything like that on 2.2.

On the plus side, I like the Car Home app, but this update has more bad than good for me. I wish I hadn’t updated.

Download MultiRecoveryFlasher here:

Download Superuser.zip here (You will need to register first):

Put Superuser.zip on SD card.

Reboot phone to Fastboot Mode (Press power then hold camera button until white screen appears, press “Fastboot”)

Connect to PC, run Multirecoveryflasher, choose “StreakMod”
    When it finishes Streak will reboot, immediately hold down volume up & down. When screen appears choose Update via zip.
    When Dell logo with triangle and exclamation mark appears press camera button.

Choose Update w/zip, find the Superuser.zip file and select it (btw you use the volume up & down to move cursor and camera to select).

After update is applied use the back capacitive touch key to back out to where you have the option to reboot phone.

Reboot Phone and you are then rooted. Be sure to get busybox from the market, or if you have Titanium Backup you can have it install BB.

Tap on the Settings icon in the lower right. The toggle for Celsius/Fahrenheit can be found there.

I’ve upgraded one from Best Buy and the tethering remained.

Hope that helps.

• will this work for build 315? mine is unlocked as well, and is there a perfmod for this build?

• hello,
    to uninstall oovoo just get root explorer and mount the system as R/W then go to system / app and locate oovoo and delete it.
    Of course you need to be rooted, my method was to copy superuser.zip to the sd card then connect the phone to the pc and boot to fastboot and flash streakmod recovery.

I’m loading it at the moment and it says:
    Froyo 2.2.2 with the next generation Dell Stage User Interface, with added widgets for Movies, eBooks & Streaming Music. This Software update also includes pre-loaded apps such as:
    -car dock mode
    – enhanced email, gallery, browser & phone apps
    -napster, accuweather, copilot live, evernote & zinio reader apps

• Yes, the capacitive key lights are going out after three seconds. This to me is very frustrating, I need to see the back key when browsing. I am sure that the capacitive keys used to light for longer and also used to light up when you scrolled, which seemed sensible to me. This change has spoiled the ease of browsing on the streak. I demand they change it back to how it was. Why would they make this stupid change in a software update?

For the update, it asked me to wait for 15 min,
    Now its hung and from past 2 hours I am getting :
    android System recovery utility : GAUSB1A131500
    And now its asking for emergency software recovery
    (/sdcard/update.pkg) file required.
    Getting same screen again and again,…
    Damn. HELP!

• I installed the unlocked 2.2 ROM on my Streak a few months ago. Now when I try to update I get an FOTA error while installing. I get this with DJ Steves and any other ROM as well. I can’t even auto update and it bothers me everyday about it. Any ideas?

• I flashed back to 318 from streakdroid 1.9.0 to try the new release. It is a much better stock release than 318. The new stage is much improved and the speed (not benchmarks) of the OS feels much better and more responsive. I am liking it other than the forced built in apps. I really hate there is no default option to remove them without rooting.

and flashing superuser.zip works fine for rooting.

If you are running the new update then there is a little wheel button on right bottom side of the Dell stage widget, just click on it and you will see the option.

• I’m having the same problem as a few other people. Did the OTA update. When it rebooted it asked for the update package to be installed on the sd card. Tried to factory reset and there is no recovery package for it to access as well now.

The easiest way to get root >> GingerBreak-v1.10.apk that is workable on 351

1′ install apk

2′ root device ~done

• I’m having the same problem and is it just me or dose the battery life seem shorter with this update ?

• anyone else having problems restoring contacts after a factory reset on 2.2?? The dell backup and restore app fails to restore my contacts and when trying to import contacts it looks as if the contacts are being copied onto the phone but after its done and turn off the phone and take out the sim card, restart the phone and open up thr contacts app it says I dont have any contacts. Anyone found away to fix this as I would like to get the contact info that I backedup restored?

• @Prowing

In Contacts “Menu” “Display Options” what do you have under “Choose contacts to display”?

Maybe your list with all your sync contacts is not ticked.

I have downloaded the .PKG file of the update. Now how do I run it? please help!

• After the update the battery is drained within a day.

• Yes I am having major battery problems too. Can anyone help

• Update was smooth. Everything seems to be fine except for 1 thing. Contacts.

No matter what, only the Sim contacts are displayed. I had backed up my contacts to SD card before the update. But even after import from SD card, the contacts are not displayed in my list.

Please HELP !!

Yes, I too am very frustrated with the buttons back light turning off so quickly and only turning back on if you can happen to find them in the dark. If anyone gets an answer or figures out a work around please be sure to post it. Another thing I’ve noticed and haven’t seen mentioned is that when using the email app with my exchange mail I have to make sure I open all new mail to be sure its marked as read or else the app will continue to notify me over and over that I have new mail. Before it was good enough to either just clear the notify or simply open the mail app, I could leave the mail item unread. This also will happen if I decide to mark an item as unread to revisit later but now doing so leads to new mail notify every few minutes.

Hey.. As I mentioned earlier, I have the same issue. Went to the local service station here for Dell gadgets, and they have no clue what this is. So maybe now they are going to give me a replacement…

I tried putting the update.zip in the SD card, still the same issue.

White Dell Streak 5″ locked to AT&T and rooted. Upgrade from official Dell 2.2. Did not lose any application settings or system info on update. All contacts remained in tact. No issues with google contacts not refreshing as others have mentioned. Still have WiFi connectivity issues. Still have some hanging when exiting applications and returning to home screen. A couple of new FC’s. Stage UI is a little more customizable, which is nice. No huge improvements over 2.2 though. Did not notice any changes in battery usage. X3 on Gingerbreak. Used version 1.2. Piece of cake. After root, used Titanium Backup to remove new bloatware.

• I wish I hadn’t updated to 2.2.2. There has been no advantages, but plenty of disadvantages. My dell was working beautifully after the 2.2 update, but now i’m hating the thing. I am hoping for a fix for the light issue in particular. Remember everyone, if it aint broke, don’t break it.

Can i download and upgrade it to my dell streak 02 baseband 21-EU ??????

Yes, battery seems to go quicker and home screen refresh get’s slower and slower as the day goes on. I was ready tor a change and some things I do like better so I hope an update to the update is coming soon.

Dell streak O2 baseband 21-EU, yes use MultiRecoveryFlasher.v.0.4 But all my appliction and system settings are gone, so as the contacts, could only restore bookmarks and SMS. All games’ levels are gone.

• I am not able to download the 2.2.2 upgrade from my dell streak so I downloaded it from pc nd put it in the streak but now I dont know how to upgrade the phone
    Please someone help
    [email protected]

Did you ever find the fix for this? Im having the same problem.

• I to had problems with ooVoo. I registered on there forums and ooVoo responded very quickly. They said the 2.2.2 update shipped with a known bad version of there app. There is a update available for ooVoo that takes care of a lot of the problems with ooVoo running all time. So update ooVoo. Has anybody used ooVoo to see if the front camera is working.
    Patrick

• This update fixed all my lag problems and everything just seems snappier. The market would cut off and oovoo was really annoiying where my major issues but rooting with gingerbreak was the easiest root ived ever performed on any device ….removed bloatware found a fix for the market on xda by joining the mms apn to att us apn and now evething is perfect I seem to have longer battery life unlike others

• Hi,

I have bought dell streak 5 unlocked today only and found the update is available but after upadating to 2.2.2 I see the battery is draining within 4 hours…can someone help?
    Also I have by mistake deleted the home widget now I am no able to set it up as default(with temprature and all..)

Please help

• first it shows ” update via .pkg file ” after selecting this option it asks for update.zip file ? please provide better solution….

• Please tell me how to update this 2.2.2 on my streak.. I downloaded the package from the link you shared above but i have no idea what to do next.. Hot to install this package in my phone..

My mobile is locked and I can not open the lock with existing pattern. Please suggest me & help to unlock procedure. my mobile is DELL STREAK 5 ANDROID 2.2 VERSION