Good and EVOSoftware Updates

Gingerbread update for HTC EVO 4G leaked, rooted build ready for flashing

Google-android-gingerbread It's been quite the day so far.

This morning, 911SnIpEr obtained and leaked a test build of the official Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread update for the HTC EVO 4G (version 4.12.651.1). Hackers and devs pounced on it immediately, of course, and discovered that the .zip contained dumped partititions, not a flashable EVO-optimized preview of the newest version of Android for smartphones.

But don't worry. Within no time, XDA's TMartin03 took those leaked ingredients and whipped up a fully rooted, deodexed, and busyboxed ROM for anyone eager, willing, and backed up to try out on their EVOs.

Unfortunately for Sense fans, this build still includes version 1.0 of HTC's user interface, which makes the previous rumor that a new version of Sense wouldn't be included with Gingerbread seem much more like cold hard fact than fiction. If you're an optimistic person, though, then the fact that this leaked update is clearly labeled as a test may be enough reason for you to continue hoping that Sense 2.0 (Sense 3.0 is definitely not coming to the EVO 4Gthanks, Barry!) will be part of the final build when it's officially rolled out by HTC/Sprint.

In the meantime, TMartin03's ROM is waiting for you on MultiUpload (201MB) and I'm sure it won't be long before other chefs serve up their new creations based on this leaked build too.

ZoBMz RNHfQ

Screenshots from XDA's zeuzinn (post #406).

Early feedback indicates that this build is very fast and scrolling is incredibly smooth. Other notables include Fast Boot, smaller text, and quick GPS location lock.

Have you tried it yet? What else have you noticed?

[xda-developers via Android Central] Thanks, @brodiedunc!

40 thoughts on “Gingerbread update for HTC EVO 4G leaked, rooted build ready for flashing

• i really hope they throw sense 2.0 on there. but seems as tho they wont. that sucks. i mean come on. why not. if the thunderbolt can run it. the evo can. its all to get people to buy the 3d

I could be a little dense here, but the download file is an exe and not a zip. What do I do? Sorry – I know I sound retarded…

Are you sure you got the right file? It looks like a zip? Anyone tried this yet? I am curious to see what if anyone feels like they benefit from this.

I got lost in all the download options… I found the zip but I haven’t flashed it yet. I just rerooted and am trying out CM7 vs. Ultimate Droid. Not sure which I like better yet…

• I loaded it up just to see, it’s pretty smooth and everything seems to work.
    Of course it’s still the same ui. I think I’ll run it a day or two to really test gingerbread.
    Then it’s back to MikFroyo 4.61 for me as it’s the best I’ve found.

I can’t wait till warm z has 4g. Ill give this a try, it will be nice to get 4g back but not sure I can do without landscaped screens.

Very slow download.

• Can’t believe HTC is forcing people to upgrade…. There’s no lack of hardware to support the new sense yet this is how they want to win over new customers. Good luck getting me to upgrade to anything with an HTC logo on it.

• I’ve not rooted my EVO – I have 4g in Austin and like my dual cameras and I like the feel of Sense. By the time new phones come with Sense 3.0 it will be time to root my Evo. Cyanogen has my interest – so as soon as it’s mature enough and has the skinable Sense 2.0, 4G, both cams – and everything I love about EVO – this may be my ROM.

Any thoughts on UI I might be missing?

• Downloaded and flashed it. It seemed to be working perfectly for about 45 minutes. One thing I noticed is the battery was not draing as fast, only went down like 15% while I had the screen on all the time. when I thought I was done, I tested the camare and that’s when the it froze on me; had to pull the battery. After rebooting it started showing an fc error and could not do anything after that, had to go back to my old rom :-(

So far cameras work have not tried 4g yet, mail program keeps fc and I have no top task bar. Probably my fault did not clear cache. I will clear and try again but if not nandroid back to warm. It is pretty smooth, but sucks no landscape. Probably won’t update if 2.0 is not included.

• -Cyanogen will not ever have Sense…ever.
    -Cyanogen has had 4G for over a month now
    -Cyanogen has both cams working just fine

Have you even looked at their website and what you get with CM7?

• I flashed it and the White “HTC EVO 4G” screen has been showing for 31 minutes now with no change. Did I do something wrong? What do I do now? Thanks.

Ok still no task bar and mail fc. That fast boot can be scary at first because I couldn’t get to recovery from power and vol down just started phone instantly. Had to use rom manager, any way back to warm already.

Flash your nandroid backup. I got it working but had problems so I went back to my previous rom. You did back up right?

• So the xda forms are on fire so i’m asking here, does it have the screen off animations of gb? That would be nice. For the people with camera problems, I’ve been reading that some people have been having luck with different kernels on different hardware.

• No, this build does not have it. You can use Screen Off and Lock in the meantime, though the animation cannot be tied to the power button at the moment. I assume it will be included in the final build of the update.

Biggest issue I have with Warm Z (any of the Z roms) is that the bluetooth phone book doesn’t work :( That said, I’m not in a 4G market, so that probably makes the fact that it doesn’t work a little bit more bearable.

• Does anyone know if Gingerbread (the one we should? get from HTC not the rooted one) will have the feature missing from Froyo? Namely, the ability to have an Equalizer app apply to any sound output?

I wrote a letter to the developer of the PowerAmp app, (which has a great EQ built in) and asked if they think about releasing a standalone EQ app to work with all other players, like Pandora, or Mog, etc…they replied that “Unfortunately, Android OS doesn’t allow other app audio stream processing.”
    I was hoping the new OS update changes that?

• After using this for awhile it is defiantly a test build. Probably used to test the GB drivers etc.
    It does not have automatic app installer when you try to redo your apps from titanium.

• I flashed this last night, it works ok but not great. Still some stability issues here and there, as other users have said the titanium backup pro did not auto restore anything, and this rom comes preloaded with all the sprint bloatware. I had a couple of force closes and it hung during reboot once, but other than that it is looking fairly good. I flashed back to Fresh this morning and I’m going to wait until they have a more stable dev rom available(hopefully with Sense 2.0 ported over!) Also, if the Fresh developer is reading this forum, we miss you and we know you love your new wife and everything but I hope you can make an appearance to put out a Fresh GB rom with sense because your Rom’s are the best imo. Stable, fast, clean, sense, and everything is working like a charm. Shout out to this site for introducing it to me. (reader rom picks are my favorite part about this site). All that being said, props to Tmartin03 for pushing this out so quick. Keep up the good work guys.

• There are still problems using the front facing camera in apps like Tango, Yahoo, etc. Sometimes it is just black, sometimes your video is upside down, sometimes in FCs.

The rear cam still does not support 720p video capture or 8mp still photos on cyanogen for the EVO.

4G works but is slower than Sense ROMs.

• I loaded this last night. So far it has run perfect for me. The only change I see is my phone is quicker/smoother/snappier.

Reflashed and fixed the task bar problem. Very snappy, faster 3g speeds still have not tried 4g but since 3g went up I expect it to as well. Not terrible but missing landscaped home screens. Will keep for a day or two.

• Reflashed, no fc errors, but the screen brightes stays on 100%. Tried different widgets and auto dim, and nothing. I don’t like my screen at max brightes at night. works very fast and great battery life, but still has som bugs in it.

Don’t know if this means anything but when I tried to download and install astro file manager it said “install unsuccessful package not signed correctly” So I am using es file instead. So far this is the only problem I have had since re-flashing.

Nevermind not sure if I just didn’t see it already with the rom but it is now showing and working.

Running on 4g in walnut creek 7.8 down 2.5 up. Gingersense so far not bad for daily driver. Nice to have 4g again.

• But I’m not rooted, (I know, SHAME on me) :)

I’m just wondering if Gingerbread will address this issue on non-rooted phones.

• Same issue here, shame too everything else seemed to work great. I moved back to my old Rom because it was too annoying.

• Love cynaogenmod7 but it destroyed my micro sd cards.i have 5 gigs family pics/videos. Now paying to get data center to try to recovery what i missed on the back ups.It was a fast rom.Make sure you do the GPS fix BEFORE you flash to cyanogen.or you will be back on sense rom to do the fix.Learn what nanroid back up is.or have fun replacing your apps.

Flashed rom worked well except it would not mount my SD card, any help would be great first Gen evo rooted using revoked and running ultimate droid from

• Um evervolv is the best out for evo. Milkfroyo don’t even compare. Do some research before shouting off random shit that makes no sense like the rom you use lol

• Evervolv has everything working 100%. 4g GPS and landscape. Even has a theme chooser. Its the best rom out for evo by far. Trust me I’ve tried them all

• Seriously check out evervolv. Its better than cm7

• Dude…..Shut the fuck up about evervolv!!!!!! I tried it and it sucked so bad…..I would rather run stock than that evervolv garbage. You’re either its developer, or you’re that guy who thinks that everything he has is the best.

• Though the audio recording on CM7 is at a standard 44khz and not 8khz as on Sense ROMS. That still gets on my nerves that an HD video recording device has telephone-quality audio recording.

• Is there seriously any reason that HTC wouldn’t tack on the Sense update along with Gingerbread? Pretty damn irritating if you ask me. I was hesitant to root, but if they don’t throw in the new Sense (which I’ve been looking forward to for a while now) I’m joining the rooted community on Friday afternoon…

• Rom manager has the EVO 4G 3D port for the EVO with the new Sense 3.0 which looks beautiful, it’s made by Clark or something like that, the only problem is that it’s a little laggy…