Good and EVOSoftware Updates

Gingerbread update for HTC EVO 4G may not include new version of Sense UI

Htc-evo-gingerbread-sense

So far whenever we've talked about the official Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) update, which is expected to be delivered to the HTC EVO 4G this quarter, the newest version of HTC Sense has always been included in the conversation. A specific version number was never mentioned, but since the EVO is currently running 1.0 and newer HTC phones are preloaded with 2.0, that's the one we've been assuming would be baked into the new Gingerbread update.

HTC Sense 2.0 is actually already available for the EVO in Myn's Warm Z TwoPointTwo (my daily driver for the past month), but since not everyone is rooted or using that particular custom ROM, the official release of the revamped UI would obviously be a significant part of the update.

Based on what several G&E readers have been hearing from HTC, however, there seems to be a chance that the new Sense will not be included.

According to a company representative responding to a customer inquiry,

As far as HTC Sense, that information has not been announced as to whether or not it will be getting an update. The only feature that is different between the current versions of HTC Sense is that some of the newer phones include the ability to connect to HTCSense.com and at this time we do not expect an update to be released for this on the EVO or the other phones that will be receiving the Android 2.3 update.

The ability to connect to HTCSense.com is actually not the only difference between Sense 1.0 and 2.0; Sense 2.0 also includes HTC Hub, flip-to-silence, landscape home screen orientation, HTC skins, new widgets, and other cool features. The rep's error may make you question his/her credibility, but I've heard from some other sources who have corroborated the uncertainty of the new Sense's inclusion in the update.

Evo-sense-2 (1)

Evo-htcsense-com

Evo-sense-2 (2)

Even if it's not specifically 2.0 that's being referred to, I still hope that when the Gingerbread update shows up on non-rooted stock EVOs within the coming weeks/months, a new version of Sense shows up with it.

I know that not everyone is a fan of Sense, but 2.0 is such an improvement over 1.0 that it would really be a shame for it (or some even newer version) not to officially make it to the EVO.

Only time will tell . . .

Thanks to Isaac and everyone else who sent this in!

34 thoughts on “Gingerbread update for HTC EVO 4G may not include new version of Sense UI

• Do you recommend any ROM’s that have 4G and Sense 2.0?

• I’ve tried Myn’z WarmZ TwoPointTwo ROM as well, but I found the battery life to be rather poor. Seeing as you are using it, Jenn, any advice, or is that just a bug?

• I tried WarmZ and it is pretty nice, but it didn’t have support for the front facing camera. That’s a deal breaker for me. I’ve been waiting for them to put an update out for it, but it is still on RLS1.

Additionally it doesn’t support 4G or HDMI.

I was really excited for a Sense 2.0 + Gingerbread release on the EVO. But now with this news, it really bums me out. Hopefully CM will get cleaned up and be more fully functional soon.

PS: It does look like Myn is going to put out RLS2 sometime in the next few weeks. There was a mention of nightly builds, but I don’t know where to find them or a list of features that are being worked on.

• If you pm Myn, and ask nicely he will provide you access to the nightly builds. There are some comments in the thread talking about the need to downgrade your radio and pri version in order to get better battery with that particular rom.

• I’m still loving CM7. But that new Sense does look nice. I would love to have that.

• Hopefully they don’t hold it back for only their new phones coming. I really want it. So do many other non rooted HTC owners. Sigh.

• I tried Warm Z when it first came out. Used it for about a week, but went back to CM7 and also Myn 2.2 cause I like having the ability to use 4G around my area.

Warm Z was the best looking rom I’ve used though. If it ever gets 4G, I’m all over it.

• There is an easy fix for the Front Camera on Myns Warm Z 2.2 on the XDA thread. It’s mentioned many times in the thread. You just have to download a Front Camera fix and flash it. You may possibly be downgraded to 5mp rear camera but you can flash another zip to fix that as well.

I’ve been using Mynz Warm Z for a month too and it does everything I need. I have 4G here in Nashville but I never use it. It drains the battery, takes too long to connect and seems to barely penetrate any buildings so it’s pretty useless to me.

It will be a bummer if the EVO goes to 2.3 and doesn’t get Sense 2.0 but thankfully we have a great dev community so if you’re rooted, there will be lots of ROM options with Gingerbread and Sense.

• Warm Z is the only one I know of that has Sense 2.0, so waiting for Myn to add/fix 4G may be the only way to get a ROM with both.

Update: MikZ is another Sense 2.0 ROM (thanks, gregL) but it doesn’t include 4G either since it’s based on the same Desire Z ROM.

• That link goes to Myns Warm TwoPointTwo (NOT Z) which DOES NOT include Sense 2.0.

Warm Z is based on a port of Sense 2.0 from the Desire Z phone which does not have 4G, so there is no code to support 4G. There is also a ROM called Mik Z based on the same port from the Desire Z phone, and it also doesn’t support 4G.

• That is the original Warm, not WarmZ. WarmZ is ported from the Desire Z, which is why 4G, HDMI, and front cam are not included.

• Looks like we were typing at the same time. Good to know about Mik Z. Thanks!

• Battery life has been okay for me, though I use the 1750mah slim battery usually and sometimes swap it with the 3500mah. I am usually on WiFi most of the day too, which is easier on the battery than 3G. Have you tried a different kernel? That often seems to make more of a difference than tweaking little settings here and there.

• I have an unrooted EVO and it would be nice to be able to update with this, but can anyone tell me what the advantage of getting a HTC account through HTCsense.com would be?

I’d rather not submit my e-mail to another site and get another password to try and remember if it wouldn’t benefit me.

Thanks!

• Well, I guess that is another way to further distinguish the Evo 3D from the original. I would, however, LOVE to have the new sense, probably more than Gingerbread – as the only things that I might like to have in Gingerbread is Music Sync. I really do not know anything else that is going to be in GB other than background things that will give better functionality. Am I missing something?

• switch kernals. i hated the battery life when started using warm Z. then i flashed the netarchy kernal and battery life was so good i went back to the standard battery.

the kernal i was using on Warm Z:

• Gingerbread reportedly includes tweaks to increase battery life. Worth the upgrade whether or not Sense 2.0 is included although I’m with everyone else in hoping that it is.

• youll have access to HTC Hub which offers different themes for sense (which i liked a lot) and ringtone sets (which actually offered some really nice tones i couldnt get from zedge) some other little things too, but those were the main features

then why not get a new phone? it doesnt make sense to complain about something you can pay for.

• Would the new sense fix their bluetooth stack? ie, would unrooted phones be able to use hid bluetooth keyboards, mouse , and wiimote?

• Except that you can’t sign up on HTCSense.com with an Evo.

• worked for me (using Myn’s Warm Z at least)

• New Sense also has; face down takes it to speaker phone and pinch brings up all screens to choose from. The battery help comes from dual chipsets which Evo doesn’t have in hardware so.

• You can use pinch right now to bring all the screens to choose on the evo. The only thing it doesn’t do is htcsense.com and that face down speaker option.

• It also doesn’t have landscape Sense homescreen or that “rings louder in your bag” thing. Hub, skins, Reader, and some other stuff can be added to Sense 1.0 through hacks or flashing but the other stuff seems to be exclusive to 2.0, iirc.

• I love my current Evo 4g it is the granddaddy of 4g devices. The device that ushered in 4g for android and it has held us down since June 4th 2010.. We now have a new member to the Evo family in the Evo 3d there has to be differances in these devices. Current evo 4g owners should recieve gingerbread the device deserves that but if you want the dualcore goodness and the next iteration of the evo family then you need to be on line day one for the new Htc Evo 3d cause this completely beats the current Evo 4g… That’s for sure

• I was able to sign in. The sign in is glitchy sometimes. Says the server didn’t respond, but signs me in anyway.

• ??? There’s no reason the Evo shouldn’t get Sense 2.0. It works with the Evo. There’s no compatibility issue. You think we should be FORCED to buy a new phone when our Evo isn’t even a year old yet just so we can get software that our phone is perfectly capable of running????!

I didn’t pay 200 bucks for a phone I have to replace in a year. I’m running sense 2.0 on the Evo right now using Warm Z. If Myn and other developers can implement Sense 2.0 on the Evo, there’s no GOOD reason why htc and sprint can’t make it happen too.

“There have to be differences in these devices”?? Yeah. There ARE differences. I see no reason why Sense 2.0 needs to be one of those differences.

• It’s essential to understand that the sense ui on the Htc Evo 3d is not sense 2.0 that version is sense 3.0. Granted I can agree that sense 2.0 should be part of the current Evo 4g upgrade which would bring it up to the same verison as the Thunderbolt, Inspire 4g, Desire Z, Incredible 2, Mytouch 4g. But it should not receive the same verison of the new Htc Evo 3d. The Evo 3d is a dualcore device running 1.2 ghz processor MSM 8660 with 1gb of ram it is not the current Evo 4g.

• In short I support anything that makes the current evo better we have waited long enough for these updates which should’ve been pushed to our device when sense 2.0 came out last October. Not every is rooted nor should they have to be. Anything that didn’t come from htc directly is nothing more than a watered down verison of htc sense nothing will ever be the same if its not from htc

• I saw the demo for the upcoming HTC Sensation slated to come out this summer on T-Mobile. The HTC Sense UI on that phone is amazing!! That HTC Sense on the Evo would make it a killer phone. Is that the update you’re talking about or do we non-rooted Evo users have to take baby steps?

• I also have an unrooted Evo 4G and downloaded 2.3 yesterday. I went to the Htcsense site, and there was no option for the Evo4G to join.
    Can I use one of the other phone descriptions/names that will work on my Evo, and let me download sense 2.0?

Got the 2.3 (official) update but no new Sense UI comes with it, what a shame, very disappointing…