ReviewsTablets

Gogo in flight wi-fi not too bad

DSC04826 - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

I recently had to do a little traveling out of town for a family wedding. I decided to hop on the trusty Delta airways and head up north for the trip. One of the many options they were trying to make sure we noticed was the in flight wi-fo service they offered from Gogo. Currently in flight twittering is free through April 14th, so enjoy that you Spring Breakers! Beyond Twittering, how good is their internet access above the clouds?

I was only on a short flight from Tampa to Kentucky, but managed to have some moderate use throughout the flight. Gogo distributes their wi-fi through a high speed cellphone data signal pointed at their partnered airplanes. I was a little skeptical giving the initial reactions I’ve heard from in flight wi-fi, but that was when it was free to get the idea rolling. Everybody and their Grandma was Facebooking and Tweeting and updating their own family blog. I could imagine how that must have been unleashing a full flight of people onto one internet connection in the air. That’s a bottleneck if I’ve heard of one.  My experience was a little different though.

When you log in to Gogo’s in flight service, you have several payment options. You have the option of getting a $5 plan for a 1.5 hour flight, or if you’re that corporate jet runner, throw the $35 unlimited monthly plan onto your corporate card and soak in the web. There are many more pricing options, and should suit anyone’s needs. The prices are all pretty competitive for what you get, so that’s always nice to know you aren’t getting scammed to bad up in the sky’s.

The performance was pretty quick too. Websites loaded pretty quickly, but not nearly as fast as my Verizon Fios at home. Apps loaded and worked smoothly without any hiccups from a poor internet connection. Netflix couldn’t manage a decent enough speed to keep running smoothly though. I didn’t test it at the time (stupid me), but I would say the speeds are equivalent to a good 3G phone connection. Overall, the experience was a pretty painless one. If you intend on doing some light web surfing and don’t need the Hulu and Netflix services, than the Gogo in flight wi-fi is a pretty good choice if you need to be connected.

for more information: Gogo

Allen Schmidt

Allen is a former contributing editor at Nothing But Tablets, which was merged with Pocketables in 2012.

7 thoughts on “Gogo in flight wi-fi not too bad

Good to know. I don’t think Id use it, but if you needed to send or check an e-mail or make a reservation the price is right.

• Seems like a good thing to have just in case. Anybody know if there’s anything like this in Europe?

• Their service is horrifyingly bad. I have used (or tried to use it) a number of times and when it works it is ok (painfully slow but whatever) but when it is glitchy it is just unbearable but they will charge you anyway and refuse a refund. I bought a month subscription only to find on some flights it would let me log in, claim I was connected, then refuse to let me access any websites besides Delta or GoGo. Even their “live chat” was completely inaccessible during the flight. And here is the real kicker: absolutely no refunds or accommodation from them. When I let them know they tell me, too bad. At most they kick down a code for a single use on a single flight (hello? I am on a monthly subscription, that is kind of pointless, no?). Horrendous and rude cut-and-paste customer service when you are on the ground and dead zero customer service when you are in the air (when you really need to use it).

All I can say is that I really hope to see a competing service soon, because as an elite frequent flier on Delta, I can promise you I would be urging them to switch away from GoGo.

Too slow to stream you tube or HBO GO. So GoGo is a no go unless all you want to do is check email. And at 12.95 per flight- not loving this ATL to LAX FLIGHT AT ALL. Yes. I am writing this in the iPad from the skies above. The speed is poor. Used speed test to see why I was getting. Checked it four times about 30 mins apart. Ready for this??? 0.03 Mbps down and 0.27 Mbps upload.

• I just did a speed test (after waiting a full 4 minutes for this page to load) and I’m at .81mbps down and .27mbps up. Those are NOT 3G speeds. Horribly slow.

• I tried this service on a trip from Baltimore to San Diego, with a connection in Atlanta. On the Baltimore to ATL wing, using my iPad 3, I got 0.73 download, .027 Mbps upload, with a 7 ms ping rate. The service was “down” from ATL to SAN. Some linux server boot crap kept looping that was installed on the view screen on the seat ahead of passengers deemed for “onboard entertainment”. Then the screen would display some “default” commercials every 30 minutes or so. Pretty lousy. I was able to get the one time free credit thing by talking to customer service for 15 minutes. This service is “GoGo”ing no where fast. LOL