AppsGood and EVO

Amazon-mp3-streaming-evo One of the most well known issues with the HTC EVO 4G's most recent OTA software update (version 3.70.651.1 released in December) is that it broke the phone's formerly functional audio streaming abilities. Even though there's been an easy fix for it (find it here) out for months, Sprint still hasn't pushed out an official update to correct the problem.

In fact, up until a few days ago, many EVO users didn't even know the streaming quality on their phones were affected. But thanks to an unprompted appearance of a notification alerting them to the issue that's been around since December, people are now taking the unsolicited advice and calling Sprint to get it fixed.

The "Streaming on Your HTC EVO Device" pop-up is believed to originate from Amazon, whose new Cloud Player service has been giving many EVOs network errors since its launch last week, though some possibly clueless reps at Sprint have been telling customers the notice actually comes from HTC. The original fix solves Cloud Player's problems, as you know, but Sprint will reportedly push a fix to your phone if you do as you're told and "let them know that you are having trouble streaming multimedia on the HTC EVO with software version 3.70.651.1."

So if you're still having streaming issues on your EVO and the old fix didn't work for you, then Sprint may be able to help.

[Android Forums] Thanks, Doug!

31 thoughts on “HTC EVO 4G getting notifications about impacted streaming quality, likely from Amazon

• I called. The rep I spoke with was 100% clueless and his accent was so thick I doubt even he understood what he was saying

• I called Sprint on Tuesday, and the rep tried to push me an update but I never got it, so she talked with somebody from tech support and they mentioned to her that I’ll need to go to a Sprint store…oh the joy

• The fix is a hard reset, sprint store reset mine but I have not seen any problems.

• A hard reset? That is Sprints genius solution for any problem what so ever. I’m getting so sick of how they are so careless with ones personal crap. Yes, backed up to g mail, w00wee, I still get to mess around for 30 min. getting the phone back to how I like it when a hard reset is NOT needed.

• If the fix is present, how does one know? Is there a different software version number?

As a developer, another big problem I’ve had with the last update from Sprint is that every 1 to 2 seconds in your log (download aLogCat to see) there are two log statements about trying to connect to WiMax after you turned off 4G. It’s really horrible, makes debugging tough.

• Download speed test and do several before and after tests. Read the link I posted above.

• FYI~ I’m not rooted, SO I called into Sprint and got to a 2nd-Tier tech who did this for me. HE NOTED THAT THIS IS A KNOWN SPRINT ISSUE. You have to push through the normal tech support… just ask for a upper level manager to get you to 2nd-tier technicians. He reset these settings on all 3 EVO’s I own… Major upgrade to 3G streaming IMMEDIATELY.

• So BigJer99 I call and ask for the 2nd tier tech I callled and they refreshed the settings which did nothing and then they tell me I either gotta do a hard reset or take it to the store which both is inconvenient I’m not tryin to reset my phone

• Quick fix. It has to do with your data. First get msl code. Second dial ##3282#. Third go into edit mode this is where you’ll need your msl code. Fourth go into data profile. Fifth press menu and select restore. And last let it do it’s thing with ota activation press ok for all others after. Done.

• Seems like everyone is having a different experience. I was getting the message. Yesterday I tried to do system updates, but it didn’t seem to be doing an update. So I called today, got support, I asked for my MSL and she gave it to me with no hassle. She go higher tech support and they tried to push an OTA update to my phone, but it didn’t update. So finally she transfered me to tech support. She had me do the ##3282# and do edit. You have to enter your MSL when prompted for the password. Then we forced an update of the Profile and PRL. She said they are trying to update the phones OTA, but some aren’t updating, so they get the error message to call Sprint. The phone now has the proxy port set to 0 and the proxy address is 0.0.0.0 so that seems to confirm that the fix is as has been stated here, and if you know your MSL you can do the fix yourself.

• If you are not rooted and therefore can’t use the MSL app mentioned in the fix, just call Sprint and get the MSL code for your phone. If they ask why, tell them you need to reset the proxy setting on your phone. Once they give it to you, just follow the rest of the instructions in the fix.

• I called Sprint just known whom stated it is a known issue and they ‘have been getting alot of calls regarding this.’ They only stated they send out an ‘error correction to stop the message from appearing’. Per Sprint, there is nothing that needs to be corrected on the phones. Whethere this is true or not, this is what they told me.

• Love this site! I just assumed getting choppy video was normal. Called Sprint, transferred to 2nd tier tech, given instructions to do update myself instead of going to Sprint store. Followed instructions and videos are now streaming w/o a hitch! I’m a non rooted, non techy Evo owner; this site gives so much useful info. Thanks!

• What instructions did they give you?

• Have a stock evo non rooted. I do get the error message from the amazon app.However,I when I run the speedtest app. With 3G I get between nearly 1400-1900 DL and 500-700 UL. So what is it that I have to tell Sprint to do in order for this message not to appear?

Thanks

• See what I posted above.

• Dialed ##3282# followed by instructions that Mario described.

• I’m running the warm z twopointtwo rom. i tried doing the old fix. with all the 0.0.0.0 stuff, and after numerous speed tests i deduced that there was no difference whatsoever. so i tried to restore the backup i made right before.
    i thought i bricked my phone. i kept getting error messages saying “unable to format memory” or whatever, and i couldn’t load ANY of my previous backups. I eventually just had to re flash the rom and the only data i could recover was what was backed up on my Lookout app.

PISSED. and wary of messing with msl again. maybe someone has some answers for me. or experienced what im talking about.

• k.well i bit the bullet and tried the thing posted above. it didnt eff up my phone, and it didnt increase my 3g data speeds either. but for whatever reason streaming my amazon cloud player is no longer choppy on 3g. i dont know what it did, but it worked.

• nvmd. still choppy. LAME…

• Well, I can’t tell you exactly *why* it would work, but *what it will do* is certainly pretty clear: instead of HTTP connections being routed via an HTTP proxy server at Sprint, they’ll be made directly from the handset to the target server.

I can well understand why that would reduce latency and buffering, and thereby make streaming work better. Though, really, the streams ought not to go via the proxy in the first place…

• I called Sprint Tech Support about this, and they did a remote change, and had me power cycle my EVO 4G. And it took of the message. Better, it certainly helped some streaming apps – specifically, the “TWIT for Android” app, which streams live feeds from Leo LaPorte’s TWIT.TV network. Made it into an actual usable app …

• Wow – thanks. Called Sprint – got the code – and performed the steps listed above. 5 minutes later streaming Amazon music with no stutters. Thanks to those here for the help. Hoping Stitcher and TuneIn Radio provide better streaming experiences as well!

called sprint and they were very quick to help and knew exactly what i was talking about and helped greatly.

• As for it being “likely from amazon” it’s totally from Amazon – flashed a new rom, got an Amazon logo with an alert through it, tapped it and got that popup message.

Get your MSL via Spritn cust service or an app, ##data#, clear those proxy addresses

I work in sprint tech support and yea just like any Major Provider you can say they told us about the “fix” two weeks ago. We simply send a media stream signal fix with one of our tools which pops up as a prl update on the phone. If anyone has this problem still call ask for tech support tell the rep “if they are a moron and clueless as most are” to send the media stream http signal from their OMA tool.

I’m a non techy person, perhaps someone might be able to help. My Evo keeps dropping my internet. Any time I try watching a video online or play a game online, my internet will suddenly disconnect and then reconnect which is a little frustrating when the video player has to be stopped and started every 15 seconds.