Kindle partners with Overdrive to bring you library books

In what can only be good news for all Kindle owners, Amazon has announced that they will partner with Overdrive to allow Kindle devices to borrow books from local libraries. The partnership will extend the Public Library services to Kindle owners, and enable them to borrow Kindle library books. This is a feature that’s been available with the Nooks, Sonys ereaders, and generally any ereader that lets you read ePub files. Amazon did extend the functionality by letting the library books be available across their entire Kindle platform, everything from your computer, to tablet to smart phone.  The lending feature will be available later in the year, but patience is a virtue after all. Personally, I like borrowing some books from the library. It’s always good to support it. Are you Kindle owners excited for this, or are library books not your thing?

10 Book Affiliate Programs

Allen Schmidt

Allen is a former contributing editor at Nothing But Tablets, which was merged with Pocketables in 2012.

7 thoughts on “Kindle partners with Overdrive to bring you library books

• April 22, 2011 at 12:35 am

I like the idea, I have been using overdrive for audio books for awhile, wonder how will the title selection will work?

• April 22, 2011 at 2:54 am

Selection will depend on your local library. Mine for instance has anywhere from 1-4 copies available per book, depending on the title. You get a 2 week check out window. Most of the books are there, but obviously not all. I’ve been pleasantly surprised.

• April 22, 2011 at 12:55 am

Borrowing library books easily was one of the main reasons I traded my iPod Touch for a NookCOLOR. I see no reason why I would suddenly buy more books just because I have an eReader when I’ve been a life-long library patron. And besides, my insanely high CA property and income tax pays for my local library already..

• April 22, 2011 at 2:56 am

Ouch, those california taxes! I couldn’t agree more though. The library is a good thing, and I want to support. Plus, some titles just aren’t worth the $10-14 they want for books.

• April 22, 2011 at 1:32 am

Just another step further in the elimination of mainstream print…

• April 23, 2011 at 11:37 pm

I assume this will be US only?

And what’s with the local library bit? Why not have a sort of huge internet library? Like an addition to the Kindle store? Would that not work?

• April 24, 2011 at 3:13 am

Its US only for now (sorry, should have reported that). I know that Amazon has discussed going global with may of their plans, but time will tell. Its taken Netflix a little while to implement their global operation, so we shall see.

The differnce with the local library vs a wide internet option would be the funding. Local governments pay for the books at the library. This means that the physical books, as well as the digital titles are all purchased by the government. If there was an international version, I’m sure there would be a huge political mess with who and how its funded by. Its really a same, because this is such a great option to have.