Reader ROM Picks: Sprint Lover’s for HTC EVO 4G

Reader ROM Picks is a regular series that showcases G&E readers’ favorite HTC EVO custom ROMs.

This ROM pick was sent in by MildlyDisturbed.

Sprint-lovers

Have you ever wondered what a world would be like in which your HTC EVO 4G shipped with a fully-functioning copy of Sense, unwanted applications could be deleted, and that tethering app you were promised in the documentation actually worked as advertised?

Well, trying to imagine that involves trying to imagine Sprint not cashing in on everything they possibly can, and that’s just a bit too far-fetched. So instead, we’ll look at a ROM that delivers on the carrier’s attempts, Sprint Lover’s ROM developed and maintained by chris1683.

Sprint Lover’s is based on the most recent HTC software build (version 3.70.651.1) and features working WiFi tether (yes, you can use your 4G wirelessly), wired 3G tether, and ability to uninstall most Sprint bloatware without resorting to root exploit methods. After a fresh install, there’s ~350MB free of internal storage, which means you’re much further away from the annoying low space warnings.

Sprint Lover’s is, for the mass of it, a reactionary work. Sprint pushes something out, chris1683 cooks something up. It is a finished ROM, with development happening only when warranted. Flashaholics will not like this ROM because it can be months between versions, and there are not a lot of new and fascinating bits being added to it daily. When new over-the-air updates come out, they’re incorporated and available. As 100+ megs of native apps are updated, they’re cooked into the ROM and released.

Above what Sprint offers in Sense, Sprint Lover’s has the SD card read speed fix built in, 1% increment battery notification, animated sync icons, drop-down power controls, color notification icons, multi-option power menu (reboot, quick boot, recovery, etc.), quiet boot sound, and custom animation.

Sprint Lover’s also comes with a stable kernel. It doesn’t do overclocking, HDMI, or anything all that impressive, but it runs solidly. The ROM works fine with most Sense-compliant kernels, but I’m sure some will run into a combo that does not play nicely. It’s compatible with Netarchy’s 4.3.4 CFS HDMIWin kernel, and for my phone that’s what works best (your mileage will vary).

Sprint Lover’s is what should have shipped with the EVO 3G: it’s clean, polished, fully functional.

It does not offer some of the more interesting mods in the ROM development world such as a new Bluetooth stack (you can’t connect a Wii controller on this) nor does it have what is required for Darktremor’s Apps2SD support (not to be confused with apps2sd). But what it does have is stability, speed, reliability, and a platform you can come back to with ease.

Sprint Lover’s is what I generally use to ease people into the rooting world. It’s like when Dorothy’s house landed and she first opened the door and stepped into Oz. Not a huge difference, but one you note right away. Once they’re ready for the flying monkeys and melting witches, I’ll set them on CM7.

Sprint Lover’s comes in a couple of packages: the standalone and the all-in-one. If this is your first dalliance with this ROM, you probably want the all-in-one. It contains updated WiMax, PRI, and NV radios and will set your system up from scratch right. The standalone package does not include the radios and can be used as an upgrade between versions. In some cases it can be used to go from other ROMs, but you might end up with some funkiness that nobody will be able to predict.

Download:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7KD2V3EV (all-in-one)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QD7L5L97 (standalone)
Discussion: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=830153

—————————

become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

27 thoughts on “Reader ROM Picks: Sprint Lover’s for HTC EVO 4G

April 25, 2011 at 5:59 am

This is a great rom to give someone that doesn’t know much about their phone, but wants something better than a stock evo. Whenever I root a friends evo, I put this on it because it looks just like stock, but is much better. This rom with a kernel and some set cpu will get great battery life too.

April 25, 2011 at 6:04 am

How is this any different from Fresh Evo? Maybe the exception of the SD Card performance configuration?

April 25, 2011 at 6:19 am

This is the ROM I first flashed by following the How-To guide a few months back. I’ve tried many since, and I keep going back to this one. I don’t use Sense UI; I use LauncherPro+ and (currenty) Launcher 7.

It’s the icons, animations and the daily driver reliability that I like so much. The only thing I’d want it to do that it can’t is to Bluetooth the Wii controller. If there is a new Bluetooth stack that I can flash that plays well with this ROM – please provide the name or a link!

I hope there is a Gingerbread build in the future. Then I should have my next “permanent” ROM flashed.

April 25, 2011 at 7:43 am

This is the first ROM I flashed as well. I liked it a lot because it wasn’t so different from what I was used to, everything worked and it seemed stable, but I could delete anything I didn’t want that came with it. However, I couldn’t find a way to customize the drop down power controls. If it wasn’t for that I might have stayed with this ROM. As it is, I’m going to be checking out some of the other ROM’s that have been featured on Good and EVO and find one I like. Thanks for this review MildlyDisturbed and for the rooting guide back in March, its how I finally got root.

April 25, 2011 at 8:30 am

LOL “so much win here; sig worthy”

April 25, 2011 at 8:57 am

I think it’s all starting to make Sense now for me(bad pun, I know.) why some people keep Sense after rooting. Sense based ROMs at first seemed to defeat the purpose of rooting an Evo. For me, rooting presented an opportunity to try something other than Sense like MIUI or some other AOSP based ROM–even Ubuntu! Since rooting, I’ve tried many ROMs but they always seem to be missing something like 4G or the camera’s twitchy, something. My daily driver has been MIUI for some time now but I’ve never been able to resolve the random restarts. I’ve found a nice Evo driver to be something Sense based running #15 kernel. Despite my appeal for AOSP, I think I finally understand why some users stick with Sense, it works. I actually haven’t tried Sprint Lover’s. I’ll give it a spin and see how it goes.

April 25, 2011 at 9:17 am

“Since rooting, I’ve tried many ROMs but they always seem to be missing something like 4G or the camera’s twitchy, something… I’ve never been able to resolve the random restarts.”

This.

I’ve been using UltimateDroid for a week now, and it’s been more stable than CyanagenMod 7, but still prone to random reboots. They occur usually when I whip out my phone and tell the person I’m with: “Hey, check this cool thing out…”

The other thing I’ve noticed is that Sense includes a ton of nice little extras that I had gotten used to that don’t exist in the AOSP world. Like I can tap the clock widget and get the Desk Clock app, and that app has a clock, countdown timer, stopwatch, etc. built right in. And the standard Sense Mail client does more than the AOSP version (I can’t add/remove meeting requests, no new mail widget, etc.) I realize I can find Market solutions for all these things, but Sense has them built in and they work very well.

I’ll try UD for a while, but I think eventually I’m going to switch to Sprint Lovers.

April 25, 2011 at 2:23 pm

New Bluetooth stack…as in something that will work with Sense roms? Last I check the Wiimote to Android hack only worked on ASOP roms.

April 25, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I too have always gone back to Sprint Lovers because of the icons and the stability. However, I’m considering unrooting (::gasp::) because of the 4G lock issue. Has anybody stumbled across a reliable fix for the GPS issue (seems to be common across all ROMs.

April 25, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I started with Sprint Lover’s. It is a very stable ROM, but limited with customization. Try the VaelPak ROM. I swear by it now. It is Sense based, but you can choose Sense or AOSP elements to use within it. Its just as stable as Sprint Lover’s and the Dev/support community is super responsive. Any problems that you have can and 99% of the time will be sorted out by them. It is very customizable and new stuff is always being added. I run stable OC’ed to 1.19 GHz with netarchy 4.3.2 sbc havs more and couldn’t be happier.

April 25, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I downloaded this and the software used is saying it is using the TMartin Ginger Sense ROM which is simply Gingerbread 2.3.3

April 25, 2011 at 7:20 pm

…by that, so THAT would be the latest software build from HTC, correct?

April 25, 2011 at 7:45 pm

CM7 (stable) has potential and I even went through the confusing flashdance to get GPS to work. It worked eventually but not quite right. Sort of frustrating in fact.

April 25, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Sprint Lovers is Froyo 2.2, it may have an element of newer code,but it’s basically the stock OTA + a lot of customization

April 25, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Currently not very different. SL I think is a wee bit better to start a person off with. Going down the road, looks like SL may be discontinued as Chris says he’s going to iphone4 dev

April 26, 2011 at 7:00 am

Since rooting my phone, last November, I tried a couple of ROMS, none of which pleased me. Too unstable, or missing crucial features, like 4G. Sprint Lovers was none of that. Stable as a rock — everything there and working — noticeably improved battery usage. And, if you want to customize, it’s easy enough to do. Things I have added (mostly tanks to JsChiSurf): 4 x 5 workspace, 5-wide app drawer, semi-transparent app drawer, my name, instead of “Sprint,” on the lockscreen and the notifications header, remove clock from notification bar, “vanilla” slider lockscreen and customized color notification bar icons. The colored icons are part of the latest SL version, but I changed the stock % battery icons for a pretty colored “gas gauge” set of icons.

It’s a solid piece of work that suits me to a “T.” I do hope that he continues the line, when they put out the next system upgrade.

April 26, 2011 at 9:08 am

i cant get it to load the new rom…i keep getting… finding update package…opening update package…installing update…instalation aborted…what am i doing wrong? i have flashed like 3 custom roms but i gennerally use rom manager

April 26, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Nevermind..I just went with cm 7.0.2.1 instead

April 28, 2011 at 8:28 am

This ROM is a very pleasant user experience, and I’m predicting that I will use it permanently.

Thanks for the review,

-Charle

April 29, 2011 at 7:34 am

This is the most reliable, most stable ROM I have ever used. Everything just works “right out of the box” and my EVO looks like it came right out of the box.

If you are thinking about selling your phone (like I am) to get the EVO 3D, you’d be doing the buyer a huge favor by doing a factory reset and leaving this ROM on there for them, but of course, giving them a heads up of what’s underneath the hood.

April 30, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Hi, I guess I am a total newbie…have flashed the all in one rom 3 times and can tell no difference. No power control in pull down menu, no wifi hotspot, no % of battery indicator. Did I do something wrong or am I completely clueless?? How do I even know I have this ROM installe dif there are no outward differences??

October 3, 2011 at 10:41 am

It doesn’t look like you flashed correctly. Your boot screen will be different and say HTC quietly brilliant, and you definitely will have the percentage. Power controls got taken out of the latest GB version, I believe. You can also check your About Phone section with the screenshots – I had trouble verifying I had flashed correctly too.

October 28, 2011 at 7:33 am

Does anyone have a good replacement for this ROM? I don’t think the DEV is available anymore and I want to patch up all the security issues that have popped up lately.

October 29, 2012 at 5:31 am

I have read so many articles on the topic of the blogger lovers however
    this piece of writing is genuinely a fastidious piece of writing, keep it up.