Good and EVO

Reader ROM Picks: Ultimate Droid for HTC EVO 4G

Reader ROM Picks is a regular series that showcases G&E readers’ favorite HTC EVO custom ROMs.

Evo-ultimate-droid (1) This ROM pick was sent in by Bradley White.

When it comes to custom roms for the HTC EVO 4G, there are many variations of those based on Sense. Many talented developers use the phone’s stock ROM as a base and then and add their own touches and tweaks to make it unique. When it comes to AOSP ROMs, however, Cyanogen set the standard that most others live by.

Most people turn to CyanogenMod 7 (CM7) for their AOSP needs, but there are some other fine alternatives out there too.

Ultimate Droid is one of them. It takes the best of CM7 and adds some other options that lets you customize the ROM without having to download and flash separate files.

Note: 3.1.1 was the most recent version when I wrote this for G&E a few weeks ago; the ROM is currently at version 3.2.5.

Ultimate Droid is based on Gingerbread (Android 2.3.3) and has all the features you could want in a ROM. 4G is working. HDMI is working with the help of FullHDMI. You can send MMS messages over two seperate texts without it freezing (this was a bug in many AOSP roms for a while).

It also has a notification pull-down widget that lets you add “sub-widgets” for things like toggle WiFi, 4G, LED flashlight, Bluetooth, airplane mode, GPS, and many others. This widget can be scrolled to the right or left, so you aren’t limited to what will fit in your notification bar.

Evo-ultimate-droid (2)

Where this ROM really shines over other AOSP ROM, in my opinion, is that it has built-in fonts, apps, boot animations, and themes that you can change right from the ROM without downloading, booting into recovery, or having to flash different .zips. This lets you customize the ROM very easily. Another thing I like is that all the Google apps are built right in and you can choose to install whichever ones you want. With CM7, you have to flash them separately.

Evo-ultimate-droid (4) Evo-ultimate-droid (3)

Evo-ultimate-droid (5) Evo-ultimate-droid (6)

All in all, Ultimate Droid gives you everything you already love about CM7 . . . and then some.

—————————

49 thoughts on “Reader ROM Picks: Ultimate Droid for HTC EVO 4G

UD is also MUCH faster than cm7. As a user of both, I can fully attest to this from personal experience. UD includes all the latest from cm7 in his nightly builds so there is really no reason to run the slower cm7. cm7 is bread but UD is toast with jam.

• I have been using Miui for awhile now and really like the feel of it. Would love to see a review on that :)

You should submit one to the editor. You will probably see it in this site in a couple of weeks.

They already did MIUI.

• Sorry for hijacking this awesome review, but has there been a bluetooth stack for Sense-based ROMs that allow Wiimote use? :/

• I haven’t tried it on my EVO yet, but I’ve got Ultimate Droid running on my Nook Color, and after trying several other ROM’s, this is by far the best. The developer thought of pretty much everything.

• Does it support 720p video recording and 8mp still shooting?

I’m looking to load my own custom boot animation. Is there an easy option to set your own? Can’t figure it out on warm z yet.

Sorry also for hijacking the thread, but does anyone have any good ideas on how I can get this cute girl to notice me at school?

::facepalm::

This is a friggin “Review of UD” thread. You can’t find another forum anywhere on the web to ask a Bluetooth question? Seriously?

• Downloading it now, lets see if it makes me stop using cyanogen…

• Hey can we add a “Like” Button for what Bill Mitchell said to Mikee? Lmao too funny….Now back to the HTC Evo..

• It’s a nice ROM but gps doesn’t work…Just like CM7..

Certainly seems snappier than cm7. I was able to get a lock with gps but haven’t taken it for a drive to test the tracking yet. Can anyone comment on battery life? Semi-functional Gps and battery drain were the 2 major bugs that have prompted me to keep exploring (and even consider going back to cm6!)

• I second that motion. That was pretty funny!

Semi-functional gps in cm7 that is. The battery life in UD appears comparable to CM7, at least in the short amount of time I’ve been monitoring it, that is, poor (10% per hour!) unless auto sync is off. Not surprising considering how UD is derived from CM.

I have been using CM7 nightly since they started. The GPS fix is available but it has to be done within a SENSE ROM. That is inconvenient, but I did it ONCE a long time ago and my GPS has worked ever since. After the fix I have tried several other ROMS (Sense or NOT) and GPS is still kicking :-). I can get 20 hours plus on CM7 (no 4G) stock kernel but I feel I do better on the Tiamen’s kernel.

• No need to be a dick about it, Bill. If someone that knows could have just said “yes” then I’d know to keep searching until I found it. I HAVE SEARCHED GOOGLE, but I thought this EVO only site would have a member that knew and could give a straight up answer, but instead I get flamed. Thanks, Mr. King of the Arcade. Why don’t you try for the high score in Donkey Kong again while you’re at it? ;)

• Thanks, Shadow. Flaming is such a fun game!

• Ooh!!! Oooh! Flame him, Billy! He’s talking off-subject about another ROM!!!

• Just one more post and I’m done with this – the reason I asked is because I read the following sentence in the review:

“Along with other AOSP roms, the Bluetooth stack in Ultimate Droid is fixed so that Wii controllers and other Bluetooth HID devices work properly.”

I simply wanted to know if there were Bluetooth stacks available for Sense ROMs, because I haven’t read of one yet, and I frequent 4 Android sites daily. If I had missed it, I would be asking myself how I could have missed it.

Have a great day everybody! =0)

• Maybe it was just me, but did anyone else have problems getting GPS to work on this ROM?

GPS lock kept dropping and reacquiring on my way to work, but then again, CM7 does the same thing for me. Did you try the Sense fix? I would but for some screwy reason, I can’t dial 4, 5 or 6 on the dialpad of Sense ROMS (HTC stock, and Myn) so I can’t enter the MLS code. I may go back to CM6 soon, which would be a shame. CM7 and UD are much faster.

• I have been new to the rooted rom thing about 3 months now and I have tried about 5 diffrent roms I was sticking with fresh evo for a while and its very stable, I downloaded the final release for CM7 (and tried it a few times before) and still seems very buggy on my evo. Today I read the review on the Ultimate Droid and said what the heck and downloaded it….I wish I would have found it sooner! It has all the bells and whistles of CM7 but not buggy at all and the 4G has the best connection I have ever had including the stock evo rom. And when I went to benchmark it it blew all the other roms away. GPS seems to take a second or to to get postion but works fine. This hands down IS THE BEST ROM FOR THE EVO! Sorry cant comment on battery as I have the extended battery and battery life has never been an issue with it……should have been the stock battery

I d/l this today and its amazing!!! just wish there was widgets to put on homescreen. if anyone know a way you can with ultimate droid please let me know. i miss my web favorites already. i must say playing UD for about 5 hours now, i really have grown to like it. i always have had myn’s warm on my Evo, but its nice to change it once in awhile especially to something different and works great. so far in 5 hours my battery is only down to 90%, no joke. I do have an extended battery the 3500 mah, on myn’s warm my battery lasted all day till i went to bed around 12am. so i will see how it goes and post back tomorrow. I do love the UD setings in there you can customize everything and there is even a theme manager to change themes from other creators and if you know how to build a theme it lets you use yours as well. I am using redmanX theme- r3ds. Like I have said before I am liking this rom even more just wish it had widgets or would like to know how to get widgets to work on this rom.

You won’t be able to use HTC Sense widgets, but there are a number of native android widgets that should work just fine. I assume you are looking to add HTC Sense widgets right? Unfortunately no AOSP rom can support those. Your best bet is to download “copies” of similar looking widgets from the Android Market.

Yes to 8mp photos, I can’t tell on 720p video, I have the option in video quality settings for “High (30m)”

It seems to be 720p…

But, in photos, there is an option for 8mp, but not 8mp wide.

• What kernel are you using?

• Anyone know if this is based on CM7’s nightlies or on the CM final?
    Thanks

Thanks, I’ll try some different ones. The faulty dialpad actually started before I even rooted. The idiots at the Sprint store told me I had too many apps (I had only ~20) and a hard reset “solved” the problem for only 30 minutes. Rooting was my last-ditched attempt to solve this. Of course, I’m hooked now.

Trying this on my Evo based on this review, and so far, I’m extremely impressed! It really is Super CM7!

It’s not really based on any particular CM version. It takes alot of the same code, but it is uniquely its own rom. I have found that UD releases stable updates and is usually out with a stable update before CM.

• OK thought I would follow up after 24 hours with this ROM and it is great almost no issues 4g is stronger than ever which is a major plus for me since in my house I used to get almost no siganl now its running with out a loss. I did have an issue with the GPS it started putting me way off my position I did go back and use the fix which was posted in the CM7 review but the only thing when you use the dialer the wrong gps code is on the post it should be ##4772579# not ##4118513#
    I am using kernal 2.637.4-cyanogenmod-01287 This fix did work and the GPS is now working with no issues!

Back for more reviews after playing with this rom. 1st..Found out there is a widget option just by long pressing on the screen the add to home screen option appears. 2nd my battery has lasted me about 25 hours now and im at 40% left..AMAZING BATTERY LIFE ON THIS ROM ( i do have an extended battery 3500 mah), but on Myns Warm rls5 my battery only lasted 16 hours.. Im using the kernel that came with dl Ultimate Droid. GPS and wifi works great. I dont have 4g where i live unless i go into the city then i do, so I havent checked out 4g. This ROM is now my favorite roms and I thought nothing would beat my Myns..lol

Anyone using the stocked battery on this rom? how long has it lasted with your battery?

• Only if we can have a like button for what Mikee said back.. Bill was being a douche for responding like a condescending asshole.. if he did not like what Mikee had to say, he could have just moved on.. It’s a damn shame when people have to flex their electronic wit and muscles with complete disregard to peoples desire to gain knowledge and connect.

• Hi guys, im wondering since ive read that this rom has 8mp camera capabilities… when i tried out the latest version it doesnt have an option for that; there is however “high” quality on both camera and camcorder… neither one looks to be as good as the FreshEvo camera… is there any fix for this or anything that i am missing? this is the ONLY dealbreaker for me with this rom at the moment :/

you can take good pictures, with this rom. they give you a lot more camera settings to play with to make your pictures nice. it does take 8mp just click the dial icon on the bottom right in camera. so many options to choose from.

• Cm7 is good but the customizations in ud give it the edge only downside to ud is its not downloading mms messages

• been using it now for a couple of days.. battery life is leaps and bounds better than my freshevo ive been using the whole time before!

Downsides: The GPS doesnt seem to work, even at the 8mp setting evo style rom took better pics and they were in widescreen, the video quality is not at the best, and i havent been able to figure out if/how you can save pics from mms…

other than those small issues, i think its an awesome rom, my favorite thus far… it would easily be the best if the above worked

• Anybody having a problem downloading mms messages?

I agree about the battery life. With the latest savage zen kernel and light usage, I was at 80% after 10 hours. I too am a bit disappointed about the camera. In particular, touch to focus, which used to be in UD2.5 (and CM6) is now gone. I can live without it though. Re. Gps, I finally managed to implement the “Sense” fix and that worked like a charm. With great battery life, working gps, all the customization possibilities and the speed of the ROM, it is my daily driver now.

• ran into a problem peeps! whats up with the voicemail?? i cant just dial one, i get a recorded message error… what i get is a text from a “[email protected]” telling me to call 408-970-0000… can anybody help out with this??

• I had the same issue with CM7. Havent tried this ROM yet but its definitely a possibility soon. I cant remember where to get it, but you can get the Sprint Voicemail .apk somewhere on the XDA or on the CM7 forums. I went back to my Sense based ROM with the visual voicemail and did a Titanium Backup of it and all its data. Then wiped and went back to CM7. Installed the .apk and then restored it and its data with Titanium. My VM was back to working normal as it was on the Koni ROM I was on before. Give that a try?

• Man i love the members on this website! thank you very much J alan Paul!! but to be quite frank, after a week of using this rom; some of the small issues; gps, voicemail, 720p video, etc… i went back to freshevo a couple of days ago.

i dislike sense and the battery life is down about 10-20 pct again, but its not all that bad considering nothing is missing other than the sprint crapware!

once again thank you for your help

• I tried the Titanium Backup thing and it would not give me the option of reinstalling the voice-mail on UD 3.0.0

• I meant to say 3.3.0 version UD

• I flashed 3.3.1 and I’m lovin it. I have had it for a week and think its cured my flashaholic addiction. GPS works fine, 4G works and its really stable. I use google voice for vmail and handsent for messaging so I have not seen the vmail issue. I had more apps FC on Fresh, auto rotate didn’t work and the Nova brightness bug made Fresh a no go.

Battery life seems good, but I too, have an extended battery. Theres enough widgets out there to make it look and feel like sense without the overhead. YMMV

Try it, you won’t be disappointed.

Thanks to G&E for these great articles.