AppsGood and EVO

Evo-kernel-manager (1) Forget Charlie Sheen.

HTC EVO 4G dev extraordinaire Shinzul and the rest of Team Win—the guys who brought 4G and HDMI to AOSP/CM7—are so full of winning that they should be getting royalties from Sheen's use of the term.

Their latest project is a currently unreleased app called Kernel Manager that will make finding, rating, downloading, and flashing kernels on your rooted EVO appallingly streamlined and simple. The goal is to "create a place where all kernel developers can submit kernels easily and reach a much wider audience with ease"—a kernel repository, if you will.

All of the kernels will be stored on the teamwin server and searchable by feature (BFS, CFS, HAVS, SBC, etc.), making downloads reliable, fast, and consistent. Everything will be done through the app too, with no need to boot into recovery to flash the kernel, clear the cache/dalvik-cache, or manually reboot. The entire process will be automated and should only take about a minute.

Evo-kernel-manager (2) Evo-kernel-manager (3)

Kernel developers are encouraged to sign up for an account and submit their kernels for inclusion in the app. The account, kernel upload, and kernel hosting are all free.

Kernel Manager will be available in the Market in two versions: free with ads, and paid without ads. There's no ETA at the time of this writing, but you'll know as soon as I do when it's released.

UPDATE 4.14: Now available in the Market!

[xda-developers]

31 thoughts on “Upcoming Kernel Manager will make finding and flashing HTC EVO kernels winningly easy

• This looks great! It’s one of my favorite parts of vaelpak, having a custom settings app allowing me to switch kernels without going on my computer.

• I would love to see something like this. One reason I don’t test kernels often is because I don’t want to continually have to reboot in to recovery and wipe then flash. Depending on price I would definitely pay for an app like this.

• I wonder if there will be a compatibility list for the diff roms ?

• All you need to know is Savaged-Zen 1.0.1 with Cyanogen Mod 7.

Unplugged this morning at exactly 6:00am. 9 hours later – 15 minutes of talk time consumed, 45 minutes of podcast listening, roughly 25 minutes of browsing, 15 or so texts sent, around 30 texts received, took several photos and emailed them, checking three email accounts every 30 minutes; light usage for me today and the remaining battery stands at 94%.

You sir, just blew my mind. I’ve been relishing in the 12+ hours CM7 finally brought to my Evo, but you are on a whole different level.

• The key is finding the Savaged-Zen kernel version that works best with your hardware. 1.0.1 is not the most current (1.1.0 is), but I found that it is the best for me so far. Also, you need to use SetCPU and use the profiles.

SetCPU:
    Main: 998 max – 128 min SavagedZen scaling set on boot
    Profiles: Screen Off, Priority 100, 384 max – 128 min smartass scaling.

You can also include more profiles to clock down the CPU as your battery power dwindles. I dial back at 40%, 30% and 15 %.

Autostarts is also a good application to get from the market. I believe that it’s less than $1. You can keep all those unnecessary apps from loading at each boot, ensuring that you don’t have too many background tasks asking for CPU time.

Here’s my homescreen, the battery just clicked down to 91% as I took the screenshot:

Finally someone has made finding and flashing Kernels fast,easy, and reliable..THANK YOU!!!! lol
    Cant wait for this!!!

• This basically already exists with Vaelpak as was already mentioned above.

• Yea its made vaelpak my favorite rom because I never need to browse XDA to look for themes or mods, they are all in one place.

• Woah woah woah, 6% use for 9 hours? At the time of writing this, my phone has been unplugged for a little over 6hrs, and is at 70% battery. No way are you getting that kind of battery life from a stock battery.

Thanks for the tips. I went ahead and installed the latest SavagedZen before I read what you said about the older versions. But I should still see a pretty significant battery increase with this right? Even without the SetCPU stuff?

• Screen shots or never happened! If this is true, that is ridiculous. I’ve used that ROM/Kernel combo and never dreamt of battery life like that. What else are you doing/running?

• I am extremely excited about this… Unbelievable that no one else thought of this idea! (lol other than vaelpak of course)

• May I ask what skin is that? I am also running CM7, but I just started running it. I love the widget and the overall theme!

• VaelPak has something like this in his ROM.

• If your running setcpu on cm7 what do you have the built in governor set to? How do you keep the two from conflicting? Does one trump the other or how does that work?

Derek_Foreal, it’s possible that you’ll receive a significant battery boost, but the true magic lies with SetCPU and the screen off profile in addition to the SavagedZen scaling.

The Theme is called Rover, but I’m using my own custom Launcher Pro dock, wallpaper and widgets.

I just make sure that ‘Set on boot’ within the CM7 governor is unchecked. So it’s not used at all and SetCPU has full control. I prefer SetCPU just because of the profiles.

• Now thats what Im talking about! This is great. Now I will actually get around to flashing a kernel and seeing which one gives me a good battery life. These dev teams deserve to get paid by the manufacturers for making their phones work better.

Stiggy, see my reply to Mike below…

I’m using the standard capacity original battery as supplied with my Evo when purchased a couple of weeks after its launch; I was on a waiting list and didn’t receive it on launch day.

Today’s usage is heavier than yesterday and is as follows:

10 minutes on a phone call through bluetooth headset, 15 minutes of streaming video, 10 minutes of web browsing, 2 hours of podcast/music listening through bluetooth headphones, 5 minutes of email composition, 4 photos taken, about 5 texts sent and 5 received, and the automatic checking of my three POP email accounts every 30 minutes.

6 hours 37 minutes and 51 seconds on battery with 80% remaining. Check the link for a screenshot of usage. A couple of tasks scrolled off the bottom and didn’t make the screenshot, but you get the idea. I’m also including screenshots of my SetCPU setup.

I can’t stress enough how important it is to have SetCPU configured properly with profiles and to invest the time and effort to try different versions of the proper kernel to find one that “likes” your hardware. I only just recently moved to Savaged-Zen v1.0.1 from v0.2.1. For a long time v0.2.1 gave me the best battery life and I find v1.0.1 to be identical so I’ve decided to stick with that one because it’s newer. I tried v1.1.0, but found that it consumed power much faster on my phone than either v0.2.1 or v1.0.1.

It is also VERY important to use Autostarts to keep certain applications from running at startup and under various conditions. Without Autostarts you’ll routinely see multiple applications starting of their own accord consuming battery power.

I have my system completely tweaked and tuned just how I like and use it. I have a 16GB microSD card with a 1.5GB EXT3 partition. Just over 500MB of that EXT3 partition is used by nearly 300 installed applications. I have multiple widgets spread across my five Launcher Pro home screens. I would consider myself a poweruser, I use my phone constantly for many tasks and I’m telling you that with some effort you can get tremendous battery life from your Evo.

• This is now in the Android Market

I bought autostarts but it wouldn’t download. I tried 5 times even restarted my phone. Now when click on my Android Market place it says it’s missing. I had to reflash my rom to get it back. I also tried to get a refund but that didn’t work either. It was within 15 mins, but I think it has something to do with Sprint. I paid with the new Sprint bill me thing.

• Jason, you’re using the SBC or no-SBC kernel?

• sigh. So go ahead and flame me: I can’t seem to put together how to get that Rover theme installed on my CM7/ ADW Launcher Evo. I’ve been searching through XDA. But, I can’t seem to get the gist of how to activate the theme… Can someone please give me a bump in the right direction?

• Wow I’m thoroughly impressed. I’m a power user I tweak my system and partions and such but I’ve never liked aosp roms so I’m always with sense. The only aosp rom I’ve ever ran for more than 2 days is miui because aosp is ugly, and the phone, the most important part of my phone, isn’t very intuitive. I know that there are alternatives (for the dialer) and maybe i’ll give this another shot. I was looking at savaged zen and cm7. I think i’m going to try savaged zen because it has built in havs settings which is like set cpu built in. Havs is the reason I stopped using setcpu a while ago because I was told they can conflict with each other. Although I never noticed this in performance, I just figured its better to have it being controlled on the back end. Thanks for the tips and enjoy your evo!

• SBC. I’ve yet to have any issues and the battery life is tremendous.

• Sorry Wamninja. I purchased Autostarts long ago so I can’t help with your problem here. My suggestion would be to send the developer an email and perhaps he can assist you. I know that I send an email to him in the past and he responded to my question very quickly. Good luck!

• As I recall, I just installed the APK, launched Theme Chooser and selected Rover. I don’t remember it being a difficult or involved process…