FeaturesUMPC

Using BlackBerry PlayBook with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse

As you can see in the video, I was able to pair a Bluetooth keyboard and a mouse to my new BlackBerry PlayBook without a problem today.

This makes the device a bit more useful for those who want to create or edit long documents or write a good size email. The mouse cursor moves without any delay, and you can use it to scroll and click on links while you’re in the web browser.

The portability of this setup, with the Think Outside Bluetooth keyboard in my back pocket and the mouse in my front pocket, makes the PlayBook a great mobile office and productivity tablet for me. All I need now is the BlackBerry case, which I believe can used as a stand, and I’ll be creating Word documents on the road.

Hector Gomez

Hector Gomez is a former contributing editor at Pocketables.

13 thoughts on “Using BlackBerry PlayBook with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse

• To wake up the playbook, swipe from the top, not the side.

• TypePad HTML Email
    Yes, after I did notice that you have to swipe from top to turn on. Thanks

• what’s the brand of your bluetooth keyboard?

• It is the Think Outside Bluetooth keyboard. They don’t sell this keyboard, but you might find it on eBay.

• I also have an old Think Outside Bluetooth keyboard and a Blackberry Playbook. The two devices recognize each other and then the Blackberry Playbook instructs me to enter a 6 number password on the Think Outside keyboard. I then enter that password on the keyboard and for about 30 seconds nothing happens on the screen of the Playbook. It then gives me a message that pairing with the keyboard has failed.

How did you manage to get your Playbook paired with your Think Outside keyboard?

Many thanks!

• After you enter the password hold the blue “FN” key and press the ‘Enter key. This will accept your password you entered and the keyboard will be paired.

• you can swipe from the side to turn it on as well but you have to go all the way from one end ofthe screen to the other

• I enter that password on the keyboard and for about 30 seconds nothing happens on the screen of the Playbook. It then gives me a message that pairing with the keyboard has failed.

• After youbenter the code to pair, you have to hold down FN key and press the enter key. This will allow for the pairing to finish.

• The track pad on that BT keyboard might not work with the BB PB . I have found that most BT keyboards seem to work, but depending on the BT keyboard not all short cut functions will work.

• What blue tooth mouse do you recommend for the playbook? I also have splashtop remote access installed on my desktop and playbook but definately need a mouse to use this function. Too small to move the mouse cursor by hand.