Good and EVO

Reader ROM Picks is a regular series that showcases G&E readers’ favorite HTC EVO 4G custom ROMs.

Evo-leaked-gingerbread-tmartin03 (1) This ROM pick was sent in by Genjinaro.

After going back and forth between myn’s Warm TwoPointTwo (Froyo) and Cyanogen’s CyanogenMod 7 (Gingerbread) on my HTC EVO 4G, I found myself torn. I wanted an HTC Sense experience, but I also wanted the latest and greatest version of Android. After going “flash mad” for about a month between the two ROMs, I caught wind of the leaked Sprint 2.3.3 Gingerbread test ROM. Hell yeah, this was the cake I was sure as hell going to have and eat.

Naturally I waited for the new build (version 4.12.651.1) to get rooted—thank you, TMartin03— before jumping in. There are some refinements in speed, fluidity, and camera performance that I liked. 4G also works, which is important to me.

But much to my (and most other people’s) dismay, this beta of 2.3.3 is missing a rather anticipated addition, HTC Sense 2.x. Gingerbread in itself only provides but a few enhancements, so I felt somewhat let down. Then again, this is only a test build so maybe we will still see Sense 2.x once it’s released later this quarter (or maybe not).

This ROM does include some Sense 2.0 additions, though, the most obvious addition being in the web browser. The browser seems to perform a hell of a lot better now, and there are also a few minor options added, most of which appear to enhance the performance. The bugs seem to have been cleaned up in the browser too.

Evo-leaked-gingerbread-tmartin03 (5) Evo-leaked-gingerbread-tmartin03 (6)

Other changes: Volume button up and down sounds have a nostalgic HTC “bing” to them and the fast boot option has made it over too. The People & Mail widget has a third style, and both Pocket Mode and Flip for Speaker sound enhancements are present. These are all small additions but welcomed still.

Evo-leaked-gingerbread-tmartin03 (2) Evo-leaked-gingerbread-tmartin03 (3)

Evo-leaked-gingerbread-tmartin03 (4) Evo-leaked-gingerbread-tmartin03 (7)

One Gingerbread 2.3.3 addition that I was suprised to see is Internet calling. This is something I was sure that Sprint would remove; then again, this ROM is still in beta so it may be removed later. I haven’t heard many people talk about it, surprisingly. Just to see if it would work, I set it up and yes, it works. If you already have great network call coverage, then it’s not a must-have feature but it’s a very welcomed addition for VoIP junkies.

Another included Gingerbread improvement is the support of more video codecs, so HTC Streamer will find itself seen more often than not.

WiMAX bugs seem to be gone from this build compared to the last one; however, I still hate the new scan and find methods of 4G connectivity. When it goes to idle/manual scan, it annoys users who live in 4G regions who ride the train. On the upside, power draw is reduced on 4G, which helps because Gingerbread by itself is better on the battery.

As is to be expected, there is bloatware in this stock ROM like Blockbuster, Nascar, Nova, and Football. There are also some annoying bugs like a constant voicemail icon (which you can clear), glitchy 720p video recording with audio slightly out of sync, and and an issue that causes the screen to stay at maximum brightness.

Fortunately, none of these bugs are substantial enough for me to not use this leaked Gingerbread ROM, rooted and deodexed by TMartin03, as my daily driver. All in all, it’s a solid ROM and surprisingly stable for a test build. I highly recommend checking it out.

Download: http://www.multiupload.com/VIOMPVJC5Z
Discussion: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1035438

—————————

Reader ROM Picks is a regular series that showcases G&E readers’ favorite HTC EVO custom ROMs.

25 thoughts on “Reader ROM Picks: Leaked Android 2.3.3 test ROM (version 4.12.651.1) for HTC EVO, rooted and deodexed

• This is my daily driver. I’ll never go back to anything else as this is the most stable ROM I’ve ever used.

• Use “Root Uninstaller” from Android Market to get rid of the bloatware.

• (this may be a duplicate post) This ROM failed to install on my EVO! Used ROM manager to install from SD card. When install was complete, the phone stopped loading at white HTC screen (over 60 min waiting). Was able to recover to recent b/u. Any ideas??

• Had the same problem using rom manager and the Virus release of this rom. Had to flash the rom from recovery (clockwork) and it worked first try. There is also a stock kernel for gingerbread floating around on XDA and that wouldn’t hurt to install either.

It’s a great rom, enjoy!

Joe

• I’ve read complaints about the stock Sense browser similar to this posting:

“This ROM does include some Sense 2.0 additions, though, the most obvious addition being in the web browser. The browser seems to perform a hell of a lot better now, and there are also a few minor options added, most of which appear to enhance the performance.”

What specifically is wrong with the stock browser that I’m not seeing? What–other than pull up web pages and process flash–does everyone want the stock browser to do?

• With this new stock browser, nothing. It works very well. With the old Stock browser, you had things like cache lockups, auto closings & force closings.

• Thanks, I wasn’t having any luck with Titanium’s Removal option.

• @NickEvo…
    Did you make sure to wipe your cache and dalvik before flashing the rom? If you are using Clockwork v2.5.0.7 or before you should make sure to run calk’s format all pack as well.

@ Everybody….
    This ROM is pretty good and at least instills confidence in me that there will be a strong offering when HTC decides to drop the full Gingerbread for us. I switched back after a few hours using this, I’m very picky about what roms I run as regulars and they need to have everything working. This one has reported brightness problems( I did not experience them) as well as some glitchy 720p recording. Everything else seemed ok, but if you are happy with your Froyo ROM this one might not be for you yet. It is however a very stable taste of what gingerbread will be like when we get it for real.

Strange, I never had any of those issues. I tried many third party browsers and usually returned to Sense stock. I’m running 2.3.3 now. I’ll see if I see any differences.

• I doubt the EVO is going to get Sense 2.0, if heft is going to be an issue. I know the EVO will definitely not get Sense 3.0 for that reason.

• Thanks for the advice. The ROM did load properly I hope to enjoy some of the new features. I do have Kernal Manager Pro and will look for that ginerbread kernal

• I had this ROM for a couple of days and everything seemed to work great, but the deal breaker for me was the screen brightness stays at max all the time. Aside from that, I realy liked this rom. Has anyone found a fix to that?

I’m quite picky also. So, out of curiosity, which Sense ROMe are on the top of your list?

• I am trying to go back to my old rom…How do I get into recovery mode??? I am new with this rooting thing.

• Scratch that…I got there!

• Anyone else have any issues with the camera on this one? Other than that, it’s all good.

• I tired this ROM for like 2 hours, but I can never go back to a ROM without a notification power bar. That should be standard.

• Well it depends on how adventurous you are. For the faint of heart I suggest Sprint Lovers (its basically stock so you can be rooted but still wearing training wheels) a half step away from base would be Fresh 3.5(Fresh is a very stable rom with an almost stock look and some clean optimizations like bloatware pre uninstalled I started with fresh and I really like it but until recently hes been taking a break to spend time with his new wife so there werent any updates…didnt really need any…but some people want constant updates) Myn’s is a nice Rom, very stable and lots of customization but not really my thing(the guy is an awesome developer with an attention to his fan base like no other this rom is personally not my favorite but you should give it a shot as the guy is really good) I’m currently using MikFroyo 4.61 with Mik’s blue theme and the netarchy toastmod nohavs nosbs. This ROM has become my daily driver over the last month or so and I really like it. His rom is Odexed (Deodexed ROMS are fully unlocked so you can opent hem up and edit them without a problem but they take up more internal memory) Mik’s lets you have your cake and eat it too, it takes up less internal space than most roms and is really fast plus he has a good team working with him and the have their own forum so there are lots of mods and themes and they take requests. I would definitely check it out.

• reflashed and it the cameras work now. But now my keyboard is bit buggy. On Swypw, stock and shapewriter. The bug comes and goes.

• Get Widgetsoid, free in the Market, and you cam put notification power controls, deeply customized to your hearts content, in any Rom you run.

Been running it for months, I love it.

• Do you know how to reinstall some apps back again?… When i tried it tells me that it wasnt installed

• how do you add this ROM?