AppsGood and EVO

Will you leave Amazon Cloud Player for Google Music Beta on your HTC EVO?

Music-beta

Google officially announced Music Beta, its long-rumored cloud-based music service, at Google I/O today and since those of us not at the conference can only request an invitation and wait until it's "ready" to use, we'll just continue to stream our music collections from the service's main archrival, Amazon Cloud Player, and carry on with our day.

Depending on how long it takes to be accepted into the beta or what Amazon does (if anything) in response to Google's one-upmanship in certain aspects (more storage, cloud-synced playlists, intelligent mix), I bet a bunch of us will stick with Cloud Player for good.

I'm already thinking that I will. Because I don't know about you, but the longer Google takes to "let me in" to their hallowed grounds, the less interested I'll become. I'm already not too keen on having to re-upload all of my music to another cloud—not to mention one that's under the ever-watchful eye of Google, and Amazon's service has been great for me over the past 5 or 6 weeks. Its 20GB free Cloud Drive upgrade is still going on, there's an integrated MP3 store, and it's been working flawlessly for me.

So while I'll obviously give Music Beta a whirl whenever the gods at Google say I'm allowed to, I'm not chomping at the bit waiting for my golden ticket. None of the service's "better" features are ones that are important to me anyway, as I actually don't use playlists (seriously) and I don't need more space, so I don't feel the need to draft my breakup letter to Amazon any time soon.

What about you?

25 thoughts on “Will you leave Amazon Cloud Player for Google Music Beta on your HTC EVO?

• No plans to yet. The auto playlist feature is the only thing I see Amazon having over Google and that I’m sure will soon find it’s way into Cloud Player.

• I do not like the sound of this.

I would rather just stick with AudioGalaxy. No uploading, great Android application and website. I have music that was obtained from blogs, but most of it is unreleased stuff that I wouldn’t be able to buy anywhere or music I can’t buy because I live in the US.

Bleh. I do love the Music App though. Very polished and I wish more Android apps looked as clean.

• Yes, I will give it go. I use DoubleTwist AirSync to sync wirelessly to my PC. Love it. But you can always have 2 backups.

• I’ll give Google’s music service a try but probably won’t stick with it for many of the same reasons listed above. I’ve stick with Amazon since they had the b@lls to roll out their service first!!

• I personally prefer AudioGalaxy. I already have all of my song stored locally. I may give it a try though. If it has lock screen controls it would be good.

I’m waiting for my invite, and will try it out. But where Amazon really trumps Google as far as I’m concerned is in having the music store. Amazon is the only place I buy digital music now, and I love how any music you buy from now on goes on your Cloud but doesn’t count against your storage! So I think Google Music will be a redundant backup location for my stuff in case Amazon’s servers ever have issues. Never put all your eggs in one basket.

• I am sorry, but – SIGH – I am kinda disappointed. I was hoping for a ZunePass type setup whereby Google would allow you to purchase songs from the major album labels (I understand this is out of their control as the former would not come to an agreement w/Google).

Well, this is indeed a start. I’m glad the cat’s out of the bag, as it were. Looking forward to giving it a whirl however. Just wish I could try it NOW.

• I will stick with subsonic, I not only can stream my music computer without uploading it all, it supports playlists, I love the podcast feature, I tell it to download and keep the last 10 episodes of Mark Levine Radio show podcast, I could make it 5 or 20. I can do that with many podcasts. They have a free android app, iphone app, etc. I can access it from any computer. I have accounts for others were they can save the files or upload others. you can throttle the bandwidth. I have total control… and a one time donation. You only have to buy the server copy, and for a donation….I not sure what the minimum is, but I think i gave $20. You get 30 days to try for free….

• I’ve got a big card on mine and my gf is mp3 crazy from time to time so i’ve got a decent collection of stuff that is large enough it doesn’t get old so much. Besides ive yet to find anything that comes close to the sound of power amp! The video streaming they announced does strike some intrest with me however. Especially since this should be rolling out to the public about the time my 3d is here. Feel like a kid at xmas time lol.

• I’d try Google Music, but I’m also using Subsonic and loving it. Music is on my home server and nobody can “remove the music if they consider it pirated”…
    Plus, my GF and few of my friends are able to stream the music to their phones as well, all from the same location. As far as I understand, I won’t be able to “share” my Google Music music collection with anyone. So I have to upload all of my music and then my girlfriend has to upload the same music to her account separately??? Hmm…
    Google Music would have to REALLY impress me in order for me to switch.

• I’m thinking I might try this because who knows what they determine as copyright infringement? I just like having my music backed up somewhere that I can access for free. I’m currently using amazon because it’s basically free to just buy one song and get 20 gbs.

• The only problem I have is Google’s own apps are great, but the constant updates make it a mess.

Like, I’ve heard from Google 3 times now about using Talk for video chat. My phone can do video chat—-it’s been able to do that since day one, a year ago.

Only it still can’t do that with Talk? And there’s so many versions of Maps out there, nothing seems to work together.

And now they’ll do that with my music app too? It’s cool that it will save some recent albums locally, but you still need service AND the updates will have to correlate—–otherwise there’s potential to lose absolutely everything.

I’m all for more storage. But something tells me I won’t be deleting any part of my music collection once I upload it to Google Music.

• AudioGalaxy for me too……until my hard drive crashes…

• I would say, dropbox was before Amazon, but of course the Record Companies are too stupid to realize this.

• Oops now I look stupid, I meant and Rhapsody here.

• Mark me down for another Audiogalaxy user. No flaws I can see in that app. I also use MOG to play virtually any song someone at work wants to hear come out of my amazing phone.

• I’d like to see Zune come to Android honestly. My wife has been using the Zune Pass for awhile and loves it.

Until then I’ll stick with Amazon, thank you.

• Since courts have held that the Fourth Amendment doesn’t protect the cloud, no, I wouldn’t be uploading my music collection into it.

The Fifth Amendment protects me from having to say why. :-)

• I would love to have play counts and ratings that follow me around. So as soon as my invite comes in I’m saying goodbye to Amazon

• I signed up for the beta and I also have read about Amazon Cloud. I have about 16 gigs of music on my PC and I put about 12 gigs or more on my SD card on my EVO. So with Audio Galaxy I can delete my music from my sd card and stream it from my phone pc to my phone where ever I’m at? Sounds Cool!

• Never used Amazon Cloud Player, no intentions to. After several Kindle debacles, I just don’t trust em.

• I would love to use any cloud player, but sprint hates us and data doesn’t work well in most places…

• I have been a big AudioGalaxy fan, but I must admit I think the new Google Music is superior in every way. The interface and options are better and it is more stable than AudioGalaxy.