Good and EVO

HTC EVO 3D records HD video at 720p, not 1080p

Evo-3d-specs-change

Ever since the HTC EVO 3D was announced at CTIA back in March, it was said to be capable of shooting HD video at up to 720p in 3D and 1080p in 2D. Great!

But then all those EVO 3D reviews popped up last week, each one alleging that 720p was the highest setting. Since it's highly unlikely that all the reviewers were blind or clueless, would-be customers looking forward to this Friday's release of the newest EVO smartphone were understandably confused. Does the device record video at 1080p or not?

In a word, no. No, it does not.

Sprint quickly sent out statements and changed its spec sheet to correct what suddenly turned out to be an error. Gone is the distinction between 2D and 3D video capture quality; the EVO 3D's camera now simply records at up to 720p and supports playback at up to 1080p in both dimensions.

Evo-3d-specs-change-engadget

Is the loss of 1080p 2D video capture a deal breaker for anyone?

FYI: I've updated the EVO 4G vs EVO 3D comparison chart with the new information.

[Sprint | Engadget]

30 thoughts on “HTC EVO 3D records HD video at 720p, not 1080p

• The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

• Not so much a deal-breaker for me personally, but certainly cause to raise an eyebrow. I find it EXTREMELY curious that this “error” has persisted for 3 months, and then roughly one week prior to release, corrected specs are released. I own one 720p and one 1080i TV, so this isn’t a major problem for me, but I wonder what the truth is. Did HTC get in over their head with the specs and then need to dial back, or did they and Sprint willfully say 1080p was possible to build hype? I’m betting that with the SD card read speed issue on the OG EVO that led to the horrendous stuttering when recording at 720p is rearing it’s head on the 3D, and HTC wasn’t able to pull off 1080p. I’d also bet that we won’t see it in an update.

• Its not that big of a deal. I’m glad my phone can take good pictures already. 720p is more than enough on a phone especially since technology right now still has to improve so that the 1080p recording on a phone isn’t jittery. I’ll stick to my sony hd camera to film my 1080p home videos and will use the evo3d as a good backup. If you don’t like that its only 720p then I guess just weigh the pros and cons and decide from there. As for me, I can’t wait till the 24th. Could have been the 21st but sprint doesn’t match anyone elses price so I had to order it online.

• who careeeeeeees. I mean, it’s news worthy.. but who really cares.. its a phone.. lol

• How can EVO 3D playback in 1080p if it only records up to 720????

• I do. I’ll wait for one of the many phones that are coming out that do record in 1080p.

Well, it does seem odd that a phone with these impressive specs:

1) Can’t record in 1080p.
    2) Makes lousy phone calls.
    3) Has horrific battery life.
    4) Gives severe migraines after 5 minutes of 3D.

This sounds almost as much of an unmitigated disaster as the early reviews on the EVO 4G said THAT dog was.

P.S., My guess on the 1080p thing is that it has been disabled at the last minute for some reason. Just makes no sense to get this wrong all this time. So, it “was” correct and now it isn’t – i.e., we did it on purpose. So the question is – why? (My guess here is that 1080p was a drag on other parts of the phone and focus groups couldn’t tell the difference between 1080 and 720 when looking at it on the phone so they dumped in the firmware.) – Honestly, on a screen that size I don’t see how anyone could tell the difference between 1080 and 720.

The good news is that if TPTB turned 1080p “off”, the boys are xda can turn it “on”.

This really backs up the theory that “promise small, deliver big” is better that “promise big, deliver small”. Just ask our current president how that marketing technique is working out for him.

P.S., In my experience, you can take any future event, divide the anticipated benefits by 2 and multiple the anticipated negatives by 2 and you are likely to come out with a result that is close to reality.

For example, any given project with take twice as long to complete and be half as beneficial as anticipated.

RULE OF 2.

– This is because it is human nature to fanboy upcoming products and then experience cognitive dissonance on anything which doesn’t support our overinflated position. In other words, we predict the best and resist any evidence to the contrary because we want are ego-involved in being proven “right”.

I call this the “American Idol” effect as so few Idols actually sell that many records despite generating huge buzz while on the show. This is because people vote as much or more to be proven right in their prognostications as because they actually love the contestants music and intend to buy it.

• Then your going to be waiting for a while or at least till end of year and if the photon or sgs2 don’t do it either then your going to be waiting even longer. There is no point in using the 1080p issue as a reason not to get a phone. If you really need 1080p recording then by an hd camcorder. Thats like saying I’m going to wait for a 14megapixel phone. Its not going to be happening anytime soon.

• 1. the boys are xda can turn it “on”, like you said.
    2. a few reviewers were in a “sprint hole” with limited service. if it does have bad service then you can get a signal booster for your house for free from sprint. my friend did he gets 5 bars now.
    3. Anyone that owns a smart phone should know that this is something to take with a grain of salt. they said the same thing about the evo 4g but i regularly get 20+ hours out of the stock battery.
    4. Same complaints as the 3ds. also it takes getting used so a limited reviewer’s occurrence means nothing to me i want to see results from a years worth of use.

• I think they mean it will upconvert to 1080p. Either way I’m sure 1080p recording will be activated with an update and if not who cares. Unless your a pro requiring 1080p this should not be a dealbraker. Maybe the bad battery life or bad call quality may stop you, but then again I just read another review on the evo 3d and they said the battery life on it was decent and better than the evo4g and call quaility was great. So again, if you want to decide on the phone then just buy it and use it for couple days, if it doesn’t suit your needs then take it back. Its that easy.

The “playback” that they are refering to is not video recording. The wording is a little confusing (and a little misleading), but what they mean is that if you already have a video like a movie on your phone that was recorded in 1080p then you can watch it in full 1080p because the screen can handle it. However, because of the 5mp camera and recording software, 720p is the highest quality that can be captured by the phone when recording. So if you record a video using the EVO 3D at 720p then you can only play it back at 720p. Again, if you have a video downloaded to your phone that was shot in 1080p then you can watch it in 1080p.

• Obama and American Idol to reference a cell phone.

Yea, WOW

• I wouldn’t bet 1080p is capable since it’s got dual 5MP camera’s, unlike the 8MP of the Sensation(which does have 1080p). Even if it were capable, I don’t think XDA guys can turn it “on” just like that. CM7 has been out for awhile and it still can’t shoot at 720p.

I bet you were holding on to that rant forever just itching to deliver it to the public at the first moment you saw fit.

• I think the HTC movie market may release 1080p movies for playback.

• Liars! Deal breaker for me! I’m waiting for a true EVO 2!

• I don’t care about 1080p recording. I want to see how the camera records and shoots in low light.

• I don’t care about 1080P neither. Still getting this phone!

• Then go ahead and wait. Have fun waiting!

• 1080p: 1080 lines in the image progressively (every scan line, every frame). Typically is 1920×1080.

1920×1080 = 2,073,600

That’s 2.1 megapixels; a 5 megapixel camera should be able to do around 2800 x 1800.

The megapixel count shouldn’t be the problem.

• I know 5MP can shot 1080p. My pocketcorder has a 5MP still and shoots 1080p too. I’m referencing that the Sensation(which does 1080p) has a different camera than the Evo 3D since a lot of people infer that they’re both similar phones. Thanks for breaking out out the nerd math though.

• Not a deal breaker. The 3d function is cool but I’m grabbing the phone for the dual core and the qhd display. It’s funny to see all the geeks who jump ship from day to day on this phone. If I had believed all the negative press that the original evo got last summer I would have deprived myself of a truly amazing phone. Even with its glitches I’ve encountered over the last year it is still far more superior then the epic.

• I will, thanks! Have fun with the crappy camera and headaches! :-)

• how did he get the extender for free?

• If you don’t do video editing, it is fine to say 720p is good enough or laughing about high quality video through little lens…

But for the people who actually do video editing, that’s a extra step of transcoding to tie together with all other 1080p content. Further, I usually have my phone, but I don’t usually have my video camera with me unless I know that I am shooting. Hence, the phone able to shoot 1080p is a convenience and Sprint/HTC made video editing inconvenient for all of us by de-content the phone. Whether you feel the inconvenience or not depends on your usage.

• Thats not true, I have the T-mobile LG g2x which captures in 1080p. There are alot of phones coming out in the next 1 or 2 months with the full HD capture.

complain about having bad service at your home. mine was offered for free. full service in and around my house. if you don’t get it free, it’s worth buying. Buy it outright to avoid the $5/month charge.

i agree 100%.