FeaturesGood and EVO

HTC EVO 4G vs HTC EVO 3D revisited [Updated 6/19]

Evo-4g-vs-evo-3d

I put up an HTC EVO 4G vs HTC EVO 3D specs chart the day the new phone was announced and have been quietly updating it as needed, but since most people don't keep tabs on old G&E posts and the EVO 3D launch is just weeks away, I've decided to repost the most recent version.

I actually just updated it a few days ago with the most current information available for both devices, so it should give those of you still on the fence about the upcoming EVO an objective look at the specs and hopefully help you make a decision. Those who've already made up your minds can take a look too, even if only to refresh your memory and confirm that you've made the right decision.

Evo-vs-evo-3d-specs_wm

Last updated on June 19, 2011

80 thoughts on “HTC EVO 4G vs HTC EVO 3D revisited [Updated 6/19]

• How much of the 1GB RAM is for applications? I’m down to about 40MB free on my Evo4G, maybe the only reason I want to upgrade.

• Be interesting to see how much of the 4 GB internal storage is filled with unremovable bloatware. I personally could care less about the 3D aspects and probably be more inclined to move if those resources were instead directed to making a blazing 2D phone.

The 1GB RAM isn’t for apps, that’s what the 4GB of internal storage is for. I’m in the same boat you are, floating right at 40MB left and having to constantly work around the low disk notification.

• I am already re-ordered the Evo 3D and am looking forward to the launch date, but I was surprised that the quadrant scores were so low (as seen on the wirefly review video).I expected it to be a beast! It had good scores, but it wasn’t at the top of the food chain.
    Any thoughts?

• fwald you stated it perfectly. What everyone that I talked will that has the current EVO wanted better camera, jitter free camcorder, and better battery life. They had a winner why not just refine the few flaws that it had. I could care less about the 3D. The 3D that it is now is just a fad that will go away. Sprint and HTC you dropped the ball.

• It is dude. Pretend the 3D part is like a bonus. If you don’t prefer or like it turn it off. Its still the most complete phone to date if you never used one 3D thing on it. It’s got everything the sensation has and more. The only arguement would be samsung phone that will be called the within i believe but it won’t be out for a while. Personal opinion not as good a quality device does have a few perks. HTC holds edge on quality, but I will say I’d buy samsung over motorola now. If they haven’t passed they soon will cause they seem to make better decisions in management. Right now HTC is the king and this is the baddest phone they will most likely release until nexus if things pan out.

• i’m sure no eXceptional, eDucated and cApable people will find a way to remove the bloatware….

• I totally 100% disagree. Everything will be 3D or something unheard of in ten years. I’d bet dime on it if I knew someone in person to bet with that feels different. People said same thing about flat screens widescreens and cassette tapes etc. The 3D today will be different as time goes on, but it will happen count on it. Do you folks not realize with or without one 3d app or anything it is still the baddest phone known to man hands down? Forget the damn name and sales pitch. Look at the hardware. Show me a better device out right now that beats it.

• You do realize quadrant scores don’t really always tell story. I’ll show you an example. Overclock your evo to over 1.2. Check your score. Leave it at 998 and set it to performance. Your phone has lower score but runs better than the higher one wow. Put a crappy screen and asop and overclock the processor cause you realize htc is about to bankrupt you if you don’t and do every possible thing you can to get good press and you will be samsung’s twin. “decent screen i exaggerated lol” Motorola isn’t even attempting to compare the x2 and the bionic? geeez how many makeovers and improvements are they gonna make to compete? Hell by time they get the thing out HTC will be ready for nexus 3

Why doesn’t the Evo 3d come with a 32gb card?? The Htc Thunderbolt does.

• Evo 3D is going to blow all other phones away. The specs on this bad boy are awesome! I can’t wait to get my hands on one as soon as its released. I think 3D is going to take off as time goes on and I’m not buying it simply because of 3D, its just an added bonus to a all ready great phone.

• I’m not upgrading til I’m eligible for the full upgrade discount, so, this time next year.

But if I were, honestly, its the lack of kickstand that would give me the biggest pause. I love the kickstand so much, and while I don’t use it every single second, I do use it a time or two each day and it is so very useful.

I’m hoping kickstands don’t go “out of style”, and that there will be one on whatever awesome new EVO HTC & Sprint will (I hope) come out with next year.

I like this comment. :)

• but guys its going to come preloaded with the green lantern in 3d!!!!!!!!

(i think)

You remind me of a history teacher I had who told me, and I quote “Computer word processors will never replace type writers. There are too many people who will never be comofortable typing everything on a computer. Type writers will be around longer than you will be.”

T-bolt also debuted at $249.99.

• Another example on that benchmark score. You realize droid x has higher score than 4g. The original nexus did also. You ever go in an area where both devices have really good coverage and compare? Benchmark scores do matter yes, but don’t put much decision to it. My advice would be swap roms in month or so if you want that. The rom it’s using plus the new screen is reason for that. CM will have you a better score in no time. The fact that you have a dual core processor that each one runs at different speeds instead of if one is wide open as is the other is not fair test. Go to best buy in couple weeks early in morning where nobody is there hardly and test em out. Opening day will be alot of folks prolly. I’m right opposite you guys fuss at sprint and htc when they just gift wrapped you the most high tech solid spec phone 3d or if you never once use that still #1 and comes with unlimited data and no bitchy ass limits such as tether and so on. Also at same price as the evo your on. Not bad for carrier in distant third between two big dummies. If your in there 4g area I don’t see why you wouldn’t pick em in 99% of cases. They are in better with google and htc than the other carriers are also. If this don’t make you satisfied what exactly would? They don’t make a device yet with better components? I think HTC been better off calling this device EVO II 4G with title like so awesome it even has a 3D option to showoff. The name is throwing folks off. It has the same screen resolution as the sensation does that is only 2D. There will not be anything better than this till xmas time. Even then it isn’t guaranteed. You will hear about protype stuff better by then but you can’t buy it. Bionic by moto is it. HTC will most likely realize nexus as it’s next big android device. Samsung prolly have that 2ghz and iphone 5 will be out. Everything else will be keyboards or smaller cheaper stuff.

The day I get this phone, I hope they have the official HTC cases with the kickstand. I gotta have my kickstand. I dont know what we did before it, but now that I’ve had it, I can’t live w/o it. Not even the Droid Bionic will touch this phone.

• That is sprint not HTC. Fifty bucks buy you a 32gb card which you most likely don’t need. I’m using a 16gb now that has 300 songs and prolly forty roms and 50 kernels and tons of theme and tweaks and crap. 32gb cards don’t read as fast either usually. It takes two secs to take half that off and onto my computer. I prefer cheapest card they make stock and i’ll get the one i prefer with what i saved.

• I agree I hope the case and even an extra battery is able for purchase on opening day. Prolly only phone that will touch it is the next HTC lol. Rumor is tegra 3 in new nexus with htc as manufactor. Add pure android untouched and on all carriers? wow The bootloaders on the evo will be locked prolly at first. It may take couple weeks instead of the next day to root it all way. HTC been first class I think how they handled it. Asking them to do it immediately is to much. Alot of these devices were prolly already made. They will fix it i’m sure. Dang sure didn’t take em long to address issue decide then let everyone know. 24hrs tops.

Thanks for the chart; very helpful! Might you do the same with the Motorola Photon, or would that be heretical here?

• That is why I am upgrading. When you get the low disk notification stuff doesn’t sync. I am constantly clearing out cache and data of apps. I also had deleted a few awhile back. I also went under my apps2sdcard app and Google Earth even though it was on mine and my friends sd card we deleted it from phone and gained 30 mb of space back. I didn’t get it since it was on sd card and freed up phone memory. But the 3D will be faster and the new sense 3.0p looks so cool.

Lot of people are fine with there OG Evo and don’t feel the need to upgrade and like the kickstand. There will be a kickstand case for this but I wsas in the same boat thinking the Evo was the best phone I ever had and I still think it is and didn’t feel I had to upgrade but I just wanted to and since I sold back my Evo and Sprint gave me a one time courtesy credit my 3D is free so why not upgrade. I have to many apps too and hate getting the low disk space.

• I agree I don’t care about the 3D aspects of the phone just all the other great specs and Sense 3.0. More memory and Internal space and I do hope the battery is better. Don’t care about the 2 cameras on the back but I hope the one regular camera is good. I can’t wait for this phone.

• I bought a 16 gig card just for my music cause my home computer has like 13 gigs or more of music. Then I found the app Audio Galaxy and deleted all the music off my sd card realizing I didn’t need the 16 after all. But I’ll use it in my 3D. I use my eight in my Archos tablet and when I get this new 3D I’ll probably give my friend with a 2gb card in her transform my eight.

• Well if you were eligible last year for upgrade at this time there giving people back there upgrades one time. And HTC already has a Kickstand case and others are going to follow. I saw a casemate one advertised also. And yes I think this phone is going to be awesome. I raved about the EVO for so long and to this day still talk about how it’s the best phone ever and now I just know the 3D will be that much better spec wise. I don’t care about 3D neither but with all the other specs it’s going to be so great.

• I understand they are coming out with an EVO 3D accessory case that will have a kickstand built in it.

• If that is the only reason you are considering an upgrade, don’t. You can root your phone and install a ROM. I was at about 40mb free before I installed the Sprint Lovers ROM. After install, I was at 130mb. With about 35 apps installed, I am currently at 119mb.

• I just installed the sense 3.0 lockscreen on my evo and it is awesome. I can’t wait to try on the phone that it is meant to be on. I hope netflix works on gingerbread by the time this phone comes out. I hope wirefly makes a mistake and mails it to me before the 24th.

• the evo 3d seems like it only makes enough advancements to be a true competitor though, look at the screen and the battery. i still dont know how the 3d rendering will affect the battery life, even though its improved slightly…

• There are plenty of reasons for you to either get this phone or stick with the one you have, ( me I have the EVO 4G) however ultimatly it comes down to personal choices, I would love to grab one if Money permitted however it doesn’t so I won’t.

I posted something similar to this yesterday on another thread: One reason for my hesitancy is a design issue (I suffer from a disillusionment that someone from the HTC design team will read this thread and take note for the 3rd generation EVO). I’ve never liked how the OG EVO’s camera protruded from the back. It caused big headaches for case designers (which is why we saw so few EVO cases for so long) and it was easily scratched. I was/am never comfortable setting my OG EVO down (camera side down) unless I’m rocking a thick case.

I also was never a fan of the red bezel (a matter of personal taste, I realize)– it just doesn’t seem as business professional than, say, all black with chrome detail. In my opinion, if you want flare, you can get an Ed Hardy dragon case. I would prefer HTC to give me a smooth (no protruding cameras), black slab and let me pimp my own ride.

Now the 3D comes along and the “crystal” over the cameras is even larger (it’s HUGE) and protrudes the same, if not more than the OG EVO — presenting an even bigger problem for case designers and with scratching. Meanwhile, HTC tripled the amount of red on this thing.

I’ll be anxious to see how 3rd party case manufacturers respond and how quickly the crystal scratching becomes an issue. Until then it’s OG EVO for me.

• I believe that’s Green Hornet

• Clicked the like button for this comment…lol

• So I got my phone on launch date last year (06/04). You’re telling me they will give me my full upgrade again?

• you just made me wish there was some type of +1 system for comments here

• Has there been confirmation that the 3D will ship with the unlocked bootloader? I know HTC has said they are changing their policy, but that change may have come to late for models that were already coming out of the pipeline.

• you are correct, its green hornet. which i personally liked and will most likely, sadly, be better than the green lantern movie anyway

• They told me they would give me an upgrade only by telesales and I had till June 22nd to do it. Bs.

• currently youre only eligible for the $75 off upgrade. however, and this is up to you to decide if its ethical or not, you would probably have a good chance at a full upgrade if you called and asked/complained

• You should mention that the Evo 3D’s display is a “3D Super-LCD”.

• nice comparison. the 3D is not a big enough jump for me to burn my upgrade on. i want a 4.5″+ display HTC superphone.

HTC Holiday for Sprint?

RAM is the memory that your applications use while they are running. The storage you are thinking of is the 1GB (minus operating system files) of ROM that the EVO 4G has. The EVO 3D has 4GB, so ~4 times the space.

The 1GB of RAM compared to 512MB (in addition to the dual-core processor) will allow you to multi-task more efficiently and increase your overall performance while apps are running.

One would assume it would have the same pre-installed applications as the EVO 4G, in addition to the HTC movie app and whatever else is baked in to Sense 3.

The EVO 3D IS a “blazing fast 2D phone”, especially if you’re only using it for the same things as you use your EVO 4G. There will be no resources being used for 3D unless you’re running a 3D game, film, or photo. I don’t get why people don’t understand this.

This reminds me of the complaints before the EVO 4G came out. “I don’t have 4G in my area… I want a phone with all these specs but without the 4G”. Well, people bought the phone, flipped the 4G switch off, and essentially had an EVO “3G”.

You can do the same thing with this phone. Turn off the 3D switch and your photos and videos will be taken in regular old “2D”. Also don’t buy or play 3D games or movies and you’ll essentially have an EVO “2D”.

I chatted online with Sprint and they said I could have my upgrade date moved to today (I got the phone 06/04/10) by calling Telesales. I specifically asked if I would be able to upgrade at Target (to get the sweet $150 trade in value) and the rep said YES. Then I called Telesales who said I can’t have the upgrade date changed until I am buying a phone, directly from them. Then I called two Target locations, and neither of them had heard of an EVO 3D phone. Is anyone else having this problem? I’m willing to upgrade for $50, but not for the $199 it would cost through Sprint. Anyone else having trouble?

Im having trouble too. when i go onto wirefly and amazon to preorder it says my upgrade isn’t till 5/2012. And samething when i went to Radioshack. But when i type a text message to sprint from my Evo it says I can upgrade and even on sprint.com. So I’m not sure whats going on 3 places are telling me I cant and from my sprint account it says I can.
    Going to call sprint soon. I shouldnt have this problem because I am one of those customers who can upgrade every year.

• Sprint will buy your Evo back for 150 too. I called and they confirmed that.

Thanks – I am only on the Silver Premiere level but hopefully they will let me update since I was one of the first ones that bought the EVO. I will call tonight and post an update in the morning. Thanks!

• i called a direct line today that was posted on a thread at xda and got the upgrade, it depends when you are supose to get your 150 discount, if its within the next couple months then you most likely won’t get it, but if you were a launch day EVO buyer as I was and are in good standing you should be eligible for the 150 off discount. 5 minute call if that and about 30 minutes later i got a text saying it was in place. it is one time only upgrade, I just told them I want to get the evo 3d but noticed that i only get 75 off, not the full upgrade and was wondering if i could get it, and that was it. easy as cake. i have my preorder in at my sprint store, same store that was absolutely loaded with EVO’s on launch day last year…when i went in about 9 am they still had about 75, started the day with 150, hope they are just as loaded, this year. unless I can get it via that premier web order on the 21st.

• call this line…1 877 775 4886 during regular sprint hours, i think and talk to them, should be no problem. it worked for me. it was the number posted at xda that works.

• my guess is that telesales put it in their notes which means you’ll have to buy it from telesales because nobody else has access to their notes.

• You can cheat quandrant very easily to make you HTC Hero appear to be faster than say an HTC Evo. This is done by temporarily disabling features then imediately running quadrant. The paid version of quadrant shows you the individual scores, so you can tell someone did this. If you see a large green portion in their score, this means they disabled something. Sense 3.0 is so big, it can’t even be put on a stock Evo. With all those resources being used, I think the score is fine for the 3D. Androidcentral has a how to on the quadrant score cheat. Here is the link: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-cheat-android-benchmarks

• Hi dumb question but will the EVO 3D be able to play Tegra games or not… I too have the EVO 4G, and just want to know if this new EVO will be able to play some of those awesome looking games for Tegra’s…thanks

• So you got a better camera(I’m not talking MP’s, I’m talking sensor quality)that records 1080P 2D (which is all you are concerned about apparently) and a bigger battery. And on top of that you are given the opportunity to try out an emerging technology which you most definitely haven’t tried on this particular phone to be able to call it a ‘fad’. And NO, Sprint and HTC have not dropped anything but an awesome device.

Thanks Jeff B – I called that number and the woman said that my phone should be ready for upgrade by tomorrow. I will double check online. I called 2 Targets in NYC and apparently none of them sell Sprint phones – I may wind up going to Radio Shack to get the $100 off. Hopefully the upgrade reset worked because I have had such a terrible time trying to get it to work. If anyone knows a Target in NYC that is doing the trade in please let me know. I have been searching and searching for anything official from Target with details but I haven’t been able to find anything.

• Since Gbread update (rooted)…my 4G runs fast like hell. most of my apps are on my 32gig card … So I have plenty of room to work ..plus I have a car kit for it .

Take your USELESS Thunderdud and go play on a LONELY HIGHWAY cause that’s exactly how you feel LONELY…Evo 3d PISSES ALL OVER THE THUNDERDUD and Sprint PISSES ON VERIZON ALL NIGHT LONE…I forgot to ask how’s your 3hr battery life on that BATTERY DRAINING LTE NETWORK??????????????????????

Without question my friend you are EXACTLY ON POINT. HTC has OUTDONE THEMSELVES ON THIS EVO MODEL and we all should be proud to be on a true carrier that pushes the envelope yearly when it comes to INNOVATION. They are not trying to pass off OUTDATED SPECED DEVICE that fit 2010 then charging you 250.00 or 300.00 dollars for SINGLECORE DEVICES…Sprint was the first to 4g carrier wise and was also first with an 4g Android device our current granddaddy the Evo 4g. And yes the best DID GET BETTER with the Evo 3d now sprint is first with that too. They focus on affordability for there customers and provide TRY UNLIMITED SERVICE. This Evo 3d hands down will be the best device on the market for 2011 no doubt on that specs NONE WILL BEAT IT, STYLE NONE WILL BEAT IT, TECHNOLOGY WISE NONE WILL BEAT IT, CONTENT WISE NONE WILL BEAT IT. This is a great new member to the Evo family on sprint something we can be proud of that will be future proof as time moves forward. I’ll tell you now so everyone will know HTC is already working on the QUADCORE EVO FOR 2012 the only way I ever leave the Evo family of devices is if HTC makes the NEXUS 3 if they do it will be ON SPRINT FIRST SPRINT HAS BECOME WHAT TMOBILE USE TO BE SINCE THEY ARE ABOUT TO BE ASS T&T. If HTC does not make the NEXUS 3 then I will be looking for my QUADCORE EVO IN JULY 2012. Pay close attention to the fact that the business relationships established meaning GOOGLE/SPRINT/HTC/QUALCOMM always means that the EVO FAMILY OF DEVICES WILL ALWAYS BE THE BEST SPEC WISE. Ctia will be in May 2012 instead of our usual march so we won’t get a release of that QUADCORE EVO TILL JULY 2012 So our new Evo 3d will have to hold the fort down till that time. We will get a quick update to gingerbread 2.3.4 for googletalk just like the Nexus S4g then look forward to the Ice Cream OS update probably in January 2012.

• So what are you paying total?

• For those who want to upgrade I wouldn’t use radioshack and trade for only $100. If I were you I would just order it on amazon for $179.99. NO sales tax and possibly no $18 upgrade fee. Then I would take evo to sprint and they will give you $150 for it. Unless radio shack lowers their price to match amazon and wirefly it is not worth it to give them your evo for $100.

• Does anyone know how to do the Sprint thing on the 21st for Gold Premiere customers? They will buy back the EVO 4G for $150 (at this point), but how does that work when going to buy the 3D on the 21st online with Sprint? How do you do the trade online? Will they process your trade, then wait for you to send in your phone before sending the new one? Will they still offer $150 for the EVO when the 3D is on the market?

• which about 50% of sense 3.0 is. duh. or it mimics is with 3d like animations.

• 2.3 does truely utilize the dual core system yet. manufactures they keep packing in big specs to future proof it. when ice cream android comes we should see ‘true’ performace upgrades. (hardware accelleration, etc) similar to honeycomb.

just check the reviews of other dual core phones. they all suffer from stuff like slight stuttering or lag. (atrix/optimus 2x/ G2X / sensation/ etc)

granted they peform better than single core phones but the software hasnt been optimized yet andit shows.

plus the evo 3d needed beefing up due to all the sense stuff the 3d and its qHD rez.

• Correct me if i am wrong….Sprint gives you a $75 dollar discount for 1 year completed from your 2 year contract and $150 for your completed 2 year contract and the phone costs $199.00…so you’ll pay 199.00 minus the 75 for the 1 year and 199.00 minus the 150 for the 2 years. and on top of that you can sell your evo 4G back to sprint for $150 dollars. I don’t think is a bad deal…what do you think?

Like Jeff B said above (and I tried it and it worked), if you call 1 877 775 4886, if you’ve had the EVO since it came out (and maybe other circumstances) you can get an early full upgrade for the EVO 3D. You can then get the phone from wherever you want and be eligible for the $199 pricing.

Update: I just pre-ordered the EVO 3D at a Sprint store, who said that they would buy back the EVO 4G for $150. End price = $50.

If something weird happens or if they reneg their offer, I can always use the $50 gift card towards my bill. Hope this helps other people!

That isn’t correct – the $199 is AFTER the $150 upgrade discount. Unless you have your upgrade date reset, you can’t get that $199 price.

• Easiest way to do that would be to buy the Sprint Motorola Photon 4G which is coming this summer and was just announced today. It will have a dual-core Tegra 2. :)

• Ditto. Doesn’t help that the Facebook app has swelled to 30mb, Maps and Flash are both at 12mb, and none of those can be moved to the SD card. sigh.

• 3D graphics is not the same as 3D display.

Although Sense 3.0 has 3D graphics, the parallax barrier used to produce the 3D depth effect will not be in use.

• Actually, it should turn out to be more than 4 times the space for App storage on the Evo 3D. It’s all depending how it’s partitioned.

On the Evo 4g, less than 450 MB of space is partitioned for app storage, as the rest is partitioned for the rom and cache. Actually, you don’t even get the full 450MB, as a good part of that is taken up with other system stuff, and you need at least 40MB free to avoid the low storage space warnings. You only effectively get about 1/3 of the 1 GB to use for Apps.

Even with a very wasteful partition of 2 GB to App storage, that’s about 6 times the usable App storage space. Make it 3 GB for Apps, and that’s nearly 9 times the usable space.

• But it’s not that much different from the Evo 3D. The processors are debatable, so I’ll just list the things that are quantifiable.

Photon pros:
    16GB internal storage vs 4GB
    8M back camera vs 5M
    kickstand
    world phone

Evo 3d pros:
    3D camera, screen
    slightly better battery (1730mah vs 1700mah)
    1.3M front camera vs VGA (640k)
    hardware camera button

Everything else that we have info on is the same.

• oh well,

I called and they said I can get a full upgrade next month thanks for posting the number to call.

it gives me more time to think about it.

Trust me Qualcomm has that covered and then some. Not only will the Evo 3d have industry leading content on there device for movies and games but online live is a great source for the evo 3d. Dont wory about that tegra 2 stuff qualcomm will have all evo 3d users back…Htc hub and Htc.com will take care of all our needs on the new Evo 3d.

• I will wait for the fourth dimension.

3D is so yesterday.