Apple

OmniVision to get 90% of 8MP camera orders for iPhone 5

Screen shot 2011-06-07 at 6.25.44 PM

Apple switches its iPhone suppliers an awful lot. And with a report from today, it seems like that is still the case with the next iteration of the popular smartphone.

You've probably never heard of OmniVision; I know I haven't. But apparently, they are a very big company, and one that Apple obviously had heard of before. OmniVision must be pretty trustworthy, as well, because Apple allegedly placed a whopping 90% of its camera orders for the next iPhone with OmniVision. The other 10% is probably Sony. 

Around the time that the iPhone 4 came out with its 5MP camera, other leading manufacturers such as HTC and Motorola were pushing 8MP camera-equipped devices out of their factories. Apple defended themselves with the "it's an advanced 5MP camera" argument, but really, it's still just a 5MP camera.

On a side note, look at the image above. If I'm not mistaken, that doesn't look like any other device that's out today. It's got an edge-to-edge screen, and it's white on the front. I know this sounds ridiculous, but could that be a mockup of a next-gen iPhone? If you actually do know what that device is, please let me know in the comments and I will adjust the post accordingly.

[Electronista]
Pocketables does not accept targeted advertising, phony guest posts, paid reviews, etc. Help us keep this way with support on Patreon!
Become a patron at Patreon!

Calob Horton

Calob Horton is an associate editor at Pocketables. He loves all technology, no matter which company it comes from. This unbiased view of the tech world allows him to choose the products that best fit his personal needs and tastes: a Microsoft Surface Pro, a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and a third-gen iPad.Google+ | Twitter | More posts by Calob | Subscribe to Calob's posts

Avatar of Calob Horton

One thought on “OmniVision to get 90% of 8MP camera orders for iPhone 5

  • I believe Omnivision is the primary camera chip manufacturer for the iPhone 4, 3GS, and 3… The only reason this is news is that its been rumored that Apple was thinking of switching to Sony for the next iPhone.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *