Good and EVO

Poll: Are you getting the HTC EVO 3D?

Evo-3d-preorder-poll-results

In last month’s informal poll about HTC EVO 3D preorders, a surprising 47% of respondents said they simply weren’t getting the dual-core Gingerbread phone.

There were a lot of unanswered questions about the device back then, but now that the most important details have been confirmed—June 24th release, $199.99 with new contract or eligible upgrade, unlocked bootloader—and excitement is reaching a fever pitch, perhaps some of those who originally turned their noses up at a “gimmicky 3D phone” are having a change of heart.

So by a show of hands (and by “hands” I mean clicks), who’s definitely getting an EVO 3D, who’s absolutely not getting one, and who still hasn’t made up their mind?

53 thoughts on “Poll: Are you getting the HTC EVO 3D?

How is anybody with an evo getting the Evo 3d, I’m only 1 year into my 2 year contract and I’m not willing to pay full price.

• Depending on your rate plan you qualify after 1 year. It is some rwards program Sprint has that allows you to upgrade after a year. I am eliglble but don’t know if there is enough difference to justify another $199 to upgrade

Off the topic, but I called sprint they refused my full upgrade and told me I was only eligible for $75 off retail price because I was only silver member and not a gold member, so I threatened to cancel because I thought it was stupid, next thing you know, I’m eligible for a full upgrade. Anyone having the same problem should follow what I did. But I am going to get the 3d for sure

Go to target,trade your evo in and it will cost you $40 only for the evo 3d

I have never have been a fan of extorting companies, I don’t want to start a debate about ethics, or anything like that, but I think if you don’t legitimately qualify, then I don’t believe you should use threats or be abusive to try to change what you knew was their policy all along.

If you can find a creative way to get the full upgrade, great, just my two cents, not meant to offend.

Because you can get the Full upgrade price if you email Sprint and ask for it.

They’ll set you at a temporary gold status until you get a new device. It has worked for 100% of the people I’ve suggested it to, and that’s a lot of suggestions.

Try it.

[email protected] or call customer support.

• Calling Sprint Customer Retention at 877-775-4886 should help with getting your status a one time upgrade to Gold. They were very helpful with me.

I am 90% sure I am getting this, but there are still 2 things I can’t seem to find a solid answer on.

1. Will the USB/MHL port come with an accessory for connecting the phone via HDMI, or will it be like the 4G was, where microHDMI cables were scarce for the first few months?

2. Does anyone know if it will support bluetooh HID profiles? The Evo 4G only supports SPP, even though stock android supports HID?

• My wife is moving from tmobile and taking my Evo 4G so I can add a line and have the Evo 3D.

• I’m gonna use my old Pre as a trade in at RS (says $75 for other smartphones) and either have my 4G as a back up or sell to a friend (I had to replace the screen and I modified the casing by shaving the edges to show the red).

I was told by a sprint rep when I bought my evo 4g last year that I would have a full upgrade in one year,whether that’s the reps fault or not,that’s what he told me and that’s what I believed since then,so when I called and I found out I wasn’t eligible I was pissed off. Someone’s mistake lead to me complaining . In the end they resolved my problem so I’m happy

• Can you explain this, please? How is Target offering this? I am eligible for a full upgrade, figuring with Radio Shack I can sell my 4g to them for $100, therefore buy the 3D for $100. I thought that was the best deal. What is Targets deal?

• Target and Sprint are both offering $150 for EVO trade-ins. TargetRED card holders get an additional $10 off.

• I will likely wait a while, because:
    1) I’ll need it to work on Cricket
    2) I’ll need the market for used EVO 3Ds to drop to a reasonable price

I’m still pretty happy with my EVO 4G, the 3D stuff is neat and all, as is the stronger hardware, but eh, we’re living on a single income here :)

• You support the extorting companies though? Those text messages they charge how much for? Or the tethering charge for data you already pay for? Locking us down into 2 year contracts and not budging from it isn’t very cool imo..,.

• My dad has been begging me for months to put him on my plan so I’m adding a second line and doing an esn swap.

The thing is it was policy to get annual upgrades for most of us until they decided to pull it in April. Is that ethical of Sprint?

I will take a free one if I win it!

• Even if I could get this phone (and watch, it’s probably possible), I can’t see 3D images like that. If it uses the same 3D tech as the Nintendo 3DS then forget it. That thing gave me headaches everytime I tried to use it. The only thing it has going for it that I like is the dual-core processor, but that’s not enough to sell me.

I think I’ll stick with my EVO 4G for now. It serves me well :3

• i would LOVE to get the Evo 3D, but im only a year in to my contract, and the way i see it, if theyve come this far since the Evo last year, i cant wait to see where they are next year when im up for a full upgrade

• Just ordered mine for 179.99 from wirefly. In the end it will only cost me $129.99 since I have the add it up program from bank of america. Can’t wait till its shipped on the 24th. Hey, maybe they’ll make a mistake and send it early. Only reason I ordered it now is because the gingerbread update has slowed my evo down and I will probably have to go back to froyo to make my phone smooth again. Oh well. Cant wait to go evo again.

• thats what I did and then preordered the same day

• same here. It’s about the only way I’ll be getting one. I know there are tricks here to switch early, but it honestly doesn’t offer me enough to make it worth it.

• Purchased with Wirefly for $179.99 via Ebates for a $12.50 rebate. Will recycle my 4G for $162 via internet. Plus Sprint adds 300 landline minuets to monthly plan. At gold level a two year contract only extends present contract by one year. Looks like a deal to me!

• Im waiting till august when im eligable for the full upgrade, so hopefully all rooting issues will be settled.

• i definately feel that the htc evo 3d is primarily focusing on the 3d aspect of itself as a phone, so until i experience the evo 3d in my hand at a sprint store or borrow my friends, i really cant decide if i will buy it.

i definately feel that it wont be any good unless i try it.

I completely agree, but Sprint changed their Premier eligibility program of being able to upgrade after 1 year, after about 8 months after the Evo came out. They still owe on a promise made of 1 new phone upgrade after 1 year. Also, thats good customer service, which Sprint has been steadily improving on. Keep up the good work.

Does anyone know if Myn is going to finish developing Warm Gingerbread before he switches over to developing for the 3D? If he does, and if it’s as sweet as RLS 5, I will joyfully take another year with my OG EVO. If he ditches further development/support for OG EVO I might be tempted to hop up to the 3D.

Yes, his ROMs are that splendid.

I hope all of our great developers don’t ditch the OG EVO for the 3D for that matter. I’ll wait and see, but I imagine they will be the ones who ultimately lure me away prematurely.

One other reason for my hesitancy is a design issue. I’ve never liked how the OG EVO’s camera protruded from the back. It caused big headaches for case designers (which is why we saw so few EVO cases for so long) and it was easily scratched.

Now the 3D comes along and the “crystal” over the cameras is even larger (it’s HUGE) — presenting an even bigger problem for case designers and with scratching.

I’ll be anxious to see how 3rd party case manufacturers respond and how quickly the crystal scratching becomes an issue.

• Yes, but I will wait till April if I have to for my upgrade.

• I just don’t see the benefit to me over my beloved EVO. Besides the 3D, which I don’t see any real benefit for having, I’m not compelled to switch.

• I am fully on board with trying to get what was promised. I have spoken with MULTIPLE Sprint reps, trying to get a $75 credit applied to my account since the difference between the 1 year upgrade to the 2 year upgrade was $75. NO ONE WOULD HELP ME, I TALKED TO LIKE 3 DIFFERENT REPS. My next step is writing Hesse a letter.

Of course, I never tried asking for a temp upgrade to gold premier status, but by the same token, no one ever offered it to me. Good to know that that has worked for people.

• Any news on whether or not this applies to the HTC hero? I have an old one, and although I MIGHT be able to get more than $75, a no-hassle trade-in would be nice.

• I guess as a caveat to my poll answer, and I think others might be in this boat, I will not get the EVO 3D now. However, I’d consider it later on as the specs of the EVO 4G really start to lag behind the software requirements and the price on the 3D comes down.

• Honestly I feel the changes are eye candy at best. The OG Evo is still a brilliant and relative device. What use is 3D when you can’t share the experience with others? Seems gimmicky to me…

So no for me…staying loyal to a near perfect smartphone.

• Bottomline I love my evo 4g since day one June 4th 2010 but it is not no Evo 3d by any stretch of the imagination. The technology alone in the Evo 3d makes the Evo 4g simply very old time changes always. The Evo 4g is a reflection of time it was great for 2010 but not for 2011. We have 2 new members to our family that we should be proud of. Evo 3d on launch day june 24th 2011 HERE I COME FAITHFULLY just like I did June 4th 2010 on that Friday for My belove Evo 4g the Granddaddy of all 4g android devices.

• I am getting the View but sticking with Evo. My Evo works great at 1.2 clocking and I like adw ex launcher. After using the View for awhile could be I will get one if I really like new sense and 2.3 but first I will upgrade to EViO 3 on my Evo to test. I do promotions for various manufacturers so I work with all the latest Tablets and phones so when I start working with Evo 3D I may change my mind and relegate the Evo to a wi-fi phone.

• im just not so sure that the Galaxy s2 will not be a better phone… they look similar on paper but i really thing htc dropped the ball on the whole NFC thing. yeah the 3d is great but i dont see myself using it a whole lot, plus it will just drain battery faster… the galaxy is supposed to be lighter and thinner…

• i’ve not read anything that explicitly states the evo 3d will be unlocked. it’ll come out just like the sensation, locked until who knows when. please correct me if i’m wrong and show me a reference that says otherwise.

• I love that ever since this blog was bought out it’s become nothing more than an advertising platform for the evo 3d.

• Sorry Chris i have to disagree with your comment

This is, and always has been an EVO Blog

Hence the name?

The 3D is the next evolution of the iconic phone that many of us already own

So i don’t see anything wrong with her posting articles about a Phone, that many EVO owners are going to purchase anyway

As for me I’m a Premier Customer (11years)

And I’m not sure if im going to buy the 3D

A portion of me still think that the 3D is still a gimmick

And that means i would be buying a Phone just for a faster Processor and Sense 3.0

Which i can get variants of right now on xda

So as of now im clearly on the fence

And will have to play around with the device before i commit

• I would like to get this from Best Buy, but I still haven’t seen a definitive price from them anywhere. I’ve seen people write in articles and blog posts that it will be $199.99 new or upgrade eligible contract, but haven’t seen it from Best Buy yet. Anyone have a specific link to the Best Buy price. Also, I read Target will be selling it for $179.99; if that is the case, couldn’t we just get Best Buy to price match Target?

• ive been on GnE since the 3D was announced, but never posted cuz I was a tmobile user (angry one after 6 loyal years) with no contract I had the mytouchslide, I was here getting the lay of the land before I got my 3D , I went to preorder sunday at the shack, the manager knowing I was dying to get away from tmobile sold me on 2 evo4Gs , thats why I’m finally posting from my evo :-) , but wait theirs more in 3 weeks I get to trade my evo4g for the 3D , and post the difference thanks to sprints 30 day exchange thing , I’m starting to like it here

• But there being nice and giving people there upgrades back this one time only. Then you have to wait 2 years.

• Just can’t justify upgrading for 3D. The evo is great and does all I need. Plus 2012 phones will be quad-core and more than likely have nfc. Depending on how the specs for the next nexus 3 phone looks I can very well see myself going for that one.

• I love my Evo, but the fact is this.

1. 3D is a gimic which slightly annoys me.
    2. I don’t own a 3D television so whats the point of pictures in 3D?
    3. The Samsung Galaxy S II beats the Evo 3D on almost every spec and its also coming out for sprint soon.

I love my Evo but the fact is the Samsung is a more powerful phone minus the 3D.

If I were a betting man I would say Next Year HTC will have to up its game up allot more as I don’t think the Evo will do as well as the current model did. They are placing their bets on pulling new customers with its 3D appeal but judging from the lack luster sale of 3D TV’s looks to be weak.

I have faith that HTC will push the envelope as they did with the Evo. I just think they missed the mark with the Evo 3D. Its a great phone. But I want the best my money can buy. :)

1. Check
    2. Check
    3. MotherFlipping check all over that!

Couldn’t agree more!

• Just made up my mind regarding the EVO 3D

I’m officially off of the fence

I will be waiting for the Sprint Launch of the SGS 2

That phone looks amazing and yet so thin

I will be ditching my EVO for some Sammy goodness

• Its not extortion. Some companies will give you better deals if you ask. You can get your interest rate lowered on credit cards…ask. You can get your cable/internet bill lowered…come out and ask them. You can get an upgrade sooner from Sprint…ask for it. Or you can take what they they offer you upfront. Those of you who don’t ask are paying for those of us who do. Ethically, the companies should give everyone better prices and faster upgrades but they make money off of those who just go along with them.

• Derek(myn)said he will develop for both, the synergy base makes it easier to devolop for multiple phones. I think he said warm 2.3 will be based off the synergy base but with his warm touches and extras.

• Just pre-ordered one yesterday @Sprint (premium status). They are giving me $150 for the 4G so I will get the 3D for $50. Can’t beat that!!!