Good and EVO

Reader ROM Picks: Gingerbread Evo Deck v1.2 for HTC EVO 4G

Reader ROM Picks is a regular series that showcases G&E readers’ favorite HTC EVO custom ROMs.

Evo-deck This ROM pick was sent in by Sam Sarsten.

Looking for a stable ROM for your HTC EVO 4G? Want Google Talk with voice and video? Then Evo Deck is the ROM for you!

I have been a fan of Cyanogen’s work for a while now. I used CyanogenMod on my Eris, on my Droid, and, initially, on my EVO. It is just so smooth and clean. Once I put all my LauncherPro extras on my AOSP ROM, then I am good to go. But up until about a month ago, there was no ROM (besides leaks or ROMs made for other phones) that gave you the nice features of Gingerbread (cool copy/paste, glowing overflow – you know, the subtle/cool things that make your phone “Gingerbread”). I was always frustrated that I needed to have several launchers on my phone since CM ships with ADW, which I do not use. There were also little things that were starting to bug me (CM extras here and there). I wanted a “clean” Gingerbread ROM.

Enter Evo Deck.

This ROM gives you all the goods of CM7: AOSP Gingerbread 2.3.4, 4G, working MMS, Netflix, Theme Chooser, HDMI mirroring, the AOSP email app, and so on. If you are an CM fan, the feature you liked from that ROM is there. Also, with the help of a flashable .zip, you can enable the new Google Talk with video on your EVO.

I’m not going to lie. I am never a faithful ROM user. I cheat on Deck all the time with all of these new fancy Sense ROMs popping up here and there. Unfortunately, due to stability and battery life (thanks to Tiamat’s SBC kernel) I always come back to Deck.

Oh yeah, can I say something about the developer? Kushdeck has put out 26 versions of this “Pre-Stable” release. Talk about dedication!

If you are looking for a stable Gingerbread ROM where everything works (especially 4G, the new Talk, and Netflix), then do yourself a favor and hit the link below.

Download & Discussion: http://forum.dev-host.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5

26 thoughts on “Reader ROM Picks: Gingerbread Evo Deck v1.2 for HTC EVO 4G

• Wish there were some screenshots. But I guess if it is just the same old Gingerbread then there might not be anything new to see?

• Wish this person could write…

• Apparently well enough for Jenn to decide to post it.
    Try doing better….or just shut up if u have nothing nice to say.

• To anyone who has tried this ROM, does GPS work?

• This ROM is amazing. I have flashed it on all three of our Evo’s and couldn’t have better things to say about ANY rom out there. Everything just works (including GPS). The only feature I miss is having dialer codes, but its not that big of a deal most of the time. There was talk that this was being worked on as well. Been using since about 1.2e (went up to 1.2z before stable was declared). I have the most amazing battery life I have ever had on any AOSP or Sense ROM since launch day. Its clean, just flash a theme.

• @Brian: No, it doesn’t… GPS and WiFis are weaksauce. Battery sucked! Wanted to love this ROM, but after flashing Synergy I can’t in good conscience say this ROM worked for me at all…

I was rockin’ barnacles10 Frost 4.0 for the longest and it just worked, no bugs, great battery life (probably partly due to net’s kernels as well), it was smooth as silk and was just rock solid! When GB hit, I was back to my old flashaholic ways and landed on deck’s ROM for the longest (b/c I have a life and didn’t have time to flash over it), but I wiped it as soon as I could. Mostly b/c GPS and WiFis were crappers, but also b/c battery was a black hole and also, I think I’ve come to the conclusion that I like some elements of Sense and what I don’t like LauncherPro will take care of for me, or Beautiful Widgets, or Extended Controls, or some other great piece of software. AOSP just isn’t clean enough for me and although deck’s was the best of those, it’s no Sense ROM.
    Just wait till you get a taste of Synergy… ees-dee-lishis!

• Ah Synergy! So sweet. Also try MikG2. Fully stable, everything works, silky smooth. Gives us E4G users a taste of Sense 3.0. Just awesome.

• did u try vaelpak 3.2 it has the best of sense the best of aosp hyper customizable, battery life is awesome and everything works

• I’ll have to check both out when I get another chance to come up for air. Work so gets in the way of life… ;-)

P.S. E4G or can we say OG EVO now? :-P

• Synergy is based almost entirely off of Mik’s ROM, so if you like Synergy you’ll love Mik

• I’m on v1.0 and yes, the GPS works quite nicely. I did flash the newer GPS drivers that I found on XDA and they make my phone lock down a signal in about a second. Not a big fan of CM, but this ROM is definitely my favorite AOSP choice and would highly recommend it to others to try. I use the Savaged Zen kernel and my stock battery lasts quite a bit with browsing, Twitter, Friendcaster, etc. use.

• Any big differences between v1.0 and v1.2 anyone? Honestly in the boat of, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” I’m on v1.0 and everything is working 100% and my battery life is the best it’s ever been since I’ve owned this phone. Will I see any noticeable differences by upgrading?

• I’d love to check it out but I keep getting a 404 error? Anyone else?

Likewise. Hopefully it gets fixed.

For the record, I did write this review very quickly. But thanks for the (erm) constructive criticism. I know I can write better than this and if Jenn allows me to post more articles I will definitely put more effort into it.

+1 There are many fixes for GPS (some that don’t require flashing another ROM). I have to use GPS all the time and this ROM has never let me down. Wifi has been fine for me to regarding @dboftlp’s post.

Honestly….. I would say no. Sometimes I wish I would have just stuck with CM7 stable. But now that Kushdeck has released a final version of 1.2 I think I’m going to flash that and stick with that for awhile. But I’m a flashaholic.. so who knows :)

• The file hosting is broken.

• This is a great AOSP ROM with everything working and amazing battery life!

• I think that was referring to the developer’s writing, not yours. The thread you linked to does have some rather broken English in it.

So,please help a noob. I’ve been reading LOTS here and a little on the xda site (that makes my head hurt with more info than I can understand). I’m ready to flash a ROM and kernel- I rooted to get the android tether, and that’s as far as I’ve gotten. I sure need to do something about battery life, that’s for sure.

I’ve got Titanium Backup and saved two nandroids, just to be safe.

Here’s my question. Do I need to do a rooted Gingerbread, THEN flash the custom ROM and kernel? To be clear, I’m at 2.2, rooted right now. I want to keep the Sense look, so this article has me ready to go the AOSP route.

MANY thanks for any guidance. I’m really digging this site- lots of great info for this Evo lover.

Nope, this is a ROM just like any other. Put the .zip on your SD card, reboot into recovery, wipe everything (might want to Nandroid first), then flash the .zip and reboot. As long as you’re rooted, you can flash this or any ROM.

Might also want to try/watch VaelPak AOSP. It’s beta right now, but very stable and my daily driver right now for the last two weeks or so.

Also, most/all ROMs have a working kernel built-in, so you don’t *have* to flash a different kernel. Usually the thread announcing a release will have details on that. You can always flash a new kernel separately, exactly the same process as flashing a ROM except you don’t wipe data (though you may want to wipe cache and Dalvik).

And, of course, NEVER flash a ROM that isn’t rooted. But you knew that already.

• I just want to add my noob voice to the Deck praise. I was about to give up hope because I just wanted a working phone and then I saw this post. I’m loving it! I wanted to experience raw AOSP, and I have no complaints. Even though I haven’t updated the GPS or radio, everything is working great. BT, GPS, front/back camera, Wifi, all of it.

Any problems encountered have been the result of my doing. Such as the Message App and MMS framework crashing. I tested MMSs before restoring and they worked. The errors occurred after I did the restore. Once I deleted the MMSSMS.db file and removed the battery at the home screen it worked again. I lose some MMS, but not a big deal to me.

I’ve added google apps, and google voice search from the market, and with that, it’s as functional as stock Sprint Evo ROM, but way more responsive. I realize I got so conditioned to the UI lag, that it’s pleasantly disorienting when it doesn’t happen with Deck.