Good and EVO

Unboxing the HTC EVO 3D and EVO View 4G

Evo-3d-view-unbox (1)

Many of you have already seen an unboxing of the HTC EVO 3D or EVO View 4G—whether in person or online—but since G&E hasn't done one yet (thanks, time zone) and Hawaii is a scenic place to call home, here's how my new EVOs came out of their boxes and into my life today.

Unfortunately, all the outdoors photos I took ended up being overexposed so I had to do a quick reshoot inside. The background is nowhere near as lovely as it would've been, but hey, the EVOs are the real stars here anyway.

Evo-3d-view-unbox (2)

Evo-3d-view-unbox (3)

Evo-3d-view-unbox (4)

Evo-3d-view-unbox (5)

Evo-3d-view-unbox (6)

Evo-3d-view-unbox (7)

Nothing out of the ordinary here and I didn't get the EVO View digital pen that was supposed to be included with the device (presumably because I got the tablet off contract), but I'm still a very happy EVO fan today.

27 thoughts on “Unboxing the HTC EVO 3D and EVO View 4G

• Nice let us know how that View tablet works out for ya . I cant wait for HTC to unveil the Puccini I believe its called .

• Also is this the forum or blog for the HTC EVO3D now or is it just HTC EVO4G and from time to time we get 3D love??? or is this just everything EVO forum???

• I had the HTC Flyer for three weeks, so I already know that I adore the View (Sprint’s version of the Flyer). Best 7″ Android tablet on the market for me. It’s a sad day for my Dell Streak 7.

• So Jenn, what are your first impressions of the Evo3d. I’m due for an upgrade and I’m really on the fence about it. My Evo 4g is running MikG so it feels refreshed. Was it worth the upgrade in your opinion?

• Got to play with the flyer today @ Best Buy and also the new Samsung Galaxy 10 inch tablet. The rep told me that 4 out of 4 of the new galaxy tablets that were sold were already returned. I really liked the feel of the the flyer and being a fan of sense I would def pick one up if I had the need and I could do without the $80 scribe stylus. Another hit for htc and another miss by samsung inmy books. I def will grab a tablet in due time but I’m waiting on a honeycomb htc tablet(maybe the puccini or the flyer when it gets an update to 3.0.

• Got the 3D today and I love it worth the upgrade from the 4G. Sense 3.0 is so cool! It’s got these cool skins and I am using this purple passion so everything is purple even the circle where I have mail is purple and not green and all my buttons at the bottom to open apps and the one that says phone those are purple all the bars on my windows are too. It’s just really cool! I love it!

• The EVO 3D is way better then what some of these bogus reviews have lead us on to believe. The 3D camera is actualy pretty jaw dropping. And it is fast as hell. Cant wait to root it and flash some custom roms on it!

• Totally worth the upgrade! Absolutely loving the 3D and View so far. :-)

I hear that. I love my evo now with mikG 2.01 so I want to know for sure that the battery life isnt killer on the 3d. plus since I have 2 extended batteries for my evo will either work with the 3d or will I need a new back cover?

• I’m quite skeptical about that EVO 3D’s cameras. To take 3D photos you generally have to take pictures with two cameras spaced as far apart as human eyes. That’s nowhere near the case with those cameras. Not sure what image format it stores them in but can you post (or send me) a few test shots in 3D format so I can see how they look compared to the ones I take myself?

Got my EVO 3D yesterday. This phone is amazing. There is absolutely no lag at all when doing anything with this phone. I mainly got it for the specs, the 3d camera in my opinion is a sweet bonus. It does make you feel like you are going cross eyed though.

I have to say I totally agree with everything you said above ^

• Got my Evo 3D yesterday and love the little differences from the 4G. Is anyone else having issues with the lock icons disappearing when trying to open?

• I just got my EVO3D, and I have to say, pretty Impressive!!!
    just having sense 3.0 made it worth it… I’ve been running several apps, and NO lag… Dual cores FTW!!!

• I was really hoping for an MHL adapter in box…

Jenny, does the View have the rubberized back HTC is known for? I played with the Flyer at Best Buy and didn’t care for the slick back, it felt like it would be to easy to drop.
    I have to say that was blown away by the 3d. The snappy interface and the 3d camera are incredible! I have a tip regarding the micro usb charger, replace them with Belkin cords. The base is wide and doesn’t allow it to wiggle when it’s plugged into the phones port. Something that really bothered me with my 4g. It is the best replacements option out in my opinion.
    Enjoy your new toys and thanks for this great site!

• They can be saved in mpo or jps format. They actually look really good on the phones screen. Ill send you some of the HTC sample shots as well as some I took myself.

• love my 3d evo 4g was best [phone i ever owned until now, i would love either case specially the one that hides the camera

I pre ordered my EVO3d weeks ago and anxiously awaited its arrival. Then the seemingly lackluster reviews began to surface and my enthusiasm was sadly curbed. I even contemplated canceling my order and waiting on the latest from Samsung, but I decided to hold strong and wait it out. So here I am day three with my EVO 3d and I can wholeheartedly proclaim my love for this phone! It’s fast, the camera takes great pics and the 3d camera is way my enjoyable than I expected! I’m looking forward to the coming weeks, days, months exploring the power of this beast that I’m holding in my hands! I’d type more but I just drank half a gallon of water and I’ve been axiously awaiting taking 3d video of my urinary evacuation (you know you want to do it too – if you haven’t already). ;-)

• Honestly, People won’t realize what they missed out on. The Evo 3d as of today is the best android device on the market. The biggest feature that matters most is exactly where the evo 3d hurts most smartphones that’s the battery. In real world testing how we all use our devices is what determines exactly what kind of battery life you will recieve so based on that it will always depend on the user him/herself. But if your a current evo 4g user then you know exactly how to tweak and extend your overall battery life and if you know those things and apply some of the techniques then trust me you will go VERY FAR WITH THE EVO 3D. I brought my evo 3d on friday from bestbuy the battery was at half when purchased I allowed the battery to drain down to 3% then placed it on charge for the first time for 9.5 hrs from 8pm to 5:30am saturday morning. My evo 3d was still going strong at 7pm saturday night without any tweaking of the devices at 7pm I was at 27% at which time I used the power saver mode and was able to go another 2hrs till 9pm which at that time I was at 17% I turned my device off and started my second phase of charging. The point here is pretty clear the Evo 3d straight out of the box without any tweaking of the settings gave me 14hrs of battery life till 7pm then an extra 2hrs till 9pm which was a grandtotal of 16plus hrs and was still at 17% when I turned it off. Bottomline here THIS IS DEFINATELY NO EVO 4G THIS DEVICE BLOWS THE EVO 4G OUT OF THE WATER IN THE MOST IMPORTANT CATAGORY AND THAT IS BATTERY LIFE. I was never able to go anywhere when I had my evo 4g without my 2batteries and charger now I dont have to carry my charger WHICH IS VERY BIG…As a Evo 3d owner If I tweaked my setting on my device even further ie..weather animations to some, screen brightness to halfway, email syncing to 4hrs, then this device will go FOR A VERY LONG TIME. Htc SCORES A MAJOR HOMERUN just based on the native battery management application/power saver mode as well as the native task manager application these native services on the device helps evo owners in so many ways because these are applications that would have been download from the android market that the manufracturer has included in the device which means it is optimized to work FAR BETTER THAN ANY APPLICATION DOWNLOADED TO YOUR DEVICE FROM THE ANDROID MARKET. That will help any EVO 3D OWNER WHO HAS THIS DEVICE plus with the opportunity to uninstall any carrier related applications that you might not want on your device that was installed which wasn’t to many will not only gain more memory for your device which speeds up the device in general but being able to do this also allows you to place actual application you want on your device instead of having application that you don’t use taking up space and cpu on your device that is truly big what sprint has done no other carrier is rolling like this. Another big point on this device is that every application can be sent to your micro sd card using the NATIVE APPLICATION where in setting you go to sdcard/phone and you will see a catagory that say make more space and there you will find a native apps to sd application WHICH IS ANOTHER APPLICATION ANDROID USERS WOULD’VE DOWNLOADED FROM THE ANDROID MARKET THAT IS OPTIMIZED FOR OUR DEVICE no need for apps2sd card now. And I’m not even going to discuss the speed, fluidity of the device, as well as the fast that this thing just BLOWS AWAY ANY DEVICE ON THE MARKET..Yeah if people didn’t pick up one of these they just are lost….

• Forget about the 3D aspect, have you compared the std 2D pictures between the EVO and the 3D?

Opinions?

• I have compared the two. I can say without a doubt, that even if this phone only shot 2d pictures, i would still recommend it for the camera. The camera quality is AMAZING! Dont let the 3 less megapixels fool you. all that means is that you cant enlarge them as much. This phone takes amazing pictures, and performs quite well in low light situations.

• Two questions:
    1. Jenn (or anyone else using Flyer & View), other than the obvious 3G/4G radio on board, what are the advantages to the View? I’m about to chunk down the money for the Flyer because it looks like the specs are about the same & I don’t want the contract.

2. Has anyone been able to get official word from Sprint that service for the View can be had on a month-to-month basis? All I get from them is that I HAVE to go on contract. Lame. Even VZW allows customers to go m2m on the tablets they offer.

• I bought my View off contract so it definitely doesn’t require a two-year contract. Other than the connectivity, the main differences are the color and perhaps the frequency and type of updates. The View is already on 2.3.4, while I think the Flyer is still on 2.3.3. There may also be some software differences beyond the Sprint stuff, but I don’t have the Flyer to do an app-by-app comparison.

• Thanks Jenn. I was referring more to being able to sign up for Sprint coverage on a m2m basis (instead of a contract) vs. the purchase itself.

After taking another look into specs, it looks as though the internal memory is doubled in the View as well, at 32GB up from the 16GB on the Flyer.