StreakSmart

Dell Streak supposedly being updated, to return in August

Streak-5-update

The Dell Streak became "no longer available for purchase online" last week, and while most interpreted its unavailability as a sign of the device being discontinued, at least one customer service rep has told at least one person that the pocket tablet will return in early August with some sort of update that is apparently not related to Android.

That's the story, anyway.

As most of you have no doubt learned from the Streak launch debacle and Froyo update flub, customer service reps are hardly the most reliable sources of information. How many times in the past have people pasted their transcripts in forums and comment sections to "prove" when the Streak was going to be released or updated to Froyo? Too many. And how many times were they correct? Just about never.

While it's certainly possible that the Streak will return to Dell.com with some kind of minor update, it could also just come back with no modifications whatsoever. Maybe supply is just low right now and a new batch is being made. Either way, don't go holding your breath for the release of the Opus One just yet.

[Engadget] Thanks to everyone who sent this in!

17 thoughts on “Dell Streak supposedly being updated, to return in August

• Im getting an exchange due to some problems I was having on my streak,the rep did tell me they were out of stock and that it would take up to 3 weeks to receive my exchange.I cheked my order details online and its not to be shipped off till AUG 30! why soo long? mybe ill get one with this “new mod” :)

• My streak stopped booting last week, so I called to get an exchange. This is the 3rd broken unit I have had in less than a year, but everytime I got the replacement in a couple of days. Not so this time, so I called and they informed me it would be at least several weeks before they sent me a new one. The rep said that all Streak 5 shipments were put on hold pending some “update” but they did not provide any other details.

Unfortunately I was using my Streak as my primary phone so now I need to find a replacement while I wait for what will likely be a very long time.

• i lost my streak last night, so what should i do now, wait for the second-gen Streak or go for the attrix

• and im not saying i want to change my streak,, im the number one fan of the STREAK

• when Dell says August, it actually means December, but, Oh wait, which year???

• I hope your wrong Gaurav lol I didnt get the whole Update thing from the rep like chad did,I did how ever get the whole wait 3 weeks,that kinda sucks,my streak being my primary phone and all…I hope the update is for the best…

• A coworker told me be saw a display for the streak 5 at best buy in the mobile department, perimeter mall store in Georgia two days ago. I asked him if it was the 7″ he saw and he says no, it was the one that’s a phone. Weird….

• Dell themselves said it’s getting Honrycomb when they first announced it, so Staples doesn’t have any inside info. They’re just highlighting it so people buy the tablet.

• I dropped my Dell Streak two days ago and although the glass did not break, whatever is under the glass did and it made the screen unusable. With no Streak 5’s available anywhere I ended up getting a different phone.

I was so sad, but honestly after everything that Dell has put us through with that device in less than a year I guess it’s probably for the best.

I don’t think I will buy anything from Dell again. Who knows if they will stop supporting it minutes after it’s released or not?

It’s really a shame. I loved that phone. ~sigh~

• I hadn’t paid attention to that bit in the past. :-(
    Thanks HC4U.

• Looks like it is just wait and see……..

• Looks like the delay might be due to ATT announcement that their phones are getting Gingerbread.

I just got off the phone, they are replacing my streak 5 due to reboots at 97 deg f and he told me 5 – 10 business days for the replacement. We will see how it goes. Crossing my fingers.

Well my 5 – 10 business days turned out to be the next day and I got a brand new streak 5 just like my old one.

• What makes it look like that? The rep said it wasn’t a software update.