AppsGood and EVOTips & Deals

Get unlimited photo and video cloud storage on HTC EVO with Google+

GooglePlusInstantUpload The tech blogosphere has been abuzz for the past several days about a new social offering from Google called Google+. If you haven't been keeping up, there's an excellent write-up about it on our sister site, Pocketables.

And while most bloggers are debating how this might affect other social networks, as well as the sometimes uncanny resemblance to Facebook, I'd like to focus instead on what I think is, so far, an underappreciated aspect of the service: namely, the ability to automatically, instantly upload photos and videos directly from your HTC EVO 4G or EVO 3D to the cloud, right after you're done taking the picture or video, with no storage limits.

This even includes the ability to upload the highest quality HD video that your EVO can record, as long as the video is under 15 minutes in length.

Before I joined G&E, I wrote a guest post explaining how an app called Picasa Tool nicely bridged a gap that HTC had created on the original EVO 4G when they decided to take out native Picasa integration. And while HTC now includes the ability to view Picasa Web Albums in the native gallery app on the EVO 3D, uploading pictures and videos to Picasa is still a little clunky and cumbersome. Additionally, users are restricted by Picasa's paltry 1 GB storage limit (unless you resize your photos to a smaller size before uploading them).

Enter Google+!

While I'm still not sure whether Google+ will be able to draw the multitudes of users from Facebook and Twitter that some bloggers are predicting, I think it's extremely useful as a cloud-based backup tool for all the photos and videos I've been taking with my new EVO 3D.

I love that I can upload photos and videos in their original formats without having to worry about resizing them or hitting my storage limits (although Google will automatically resize anything over 2,048 pixels). I love that I can access them from the web or from my phone, and that all uploads are automatically private unless I specifically choose to share them with someone on Google+. And I love that Google+ is backwards compatible with Picasa Web Albums, so all those photos I spent hours uploading and tagging transfer over painlessly to the new service.

On the HTC EVO 4G, this eliminates the need for an app like Picasa Tool, and on the EVO 3D, it handles pictures in the cloud more smoothly than the stock gallery app. Just keep in mind that 3D pictures are not yet supported in Google+, and 3D videos will be uploaded as two side-by-side 2D frames.

If you are one of the lucky few who has already received an invitation to Google+, I encourage you to head over to the Android Market and download the mobile app. While this is still very much a beta service, and the app is in active development, it already shows a lot of promise and it seems that Google is very dedicated to making this newest offering the best that it can be.

If you haven't received an invite yet, head on over to the Google+ website and get on the waiting list. Alternately, you can try your luck on eBay (but at your own risk).

Qrc-googleplus

Links: Market (web) | Market (EVO)

John F

29 thoughts on “Get unlimited photo and video cloud storage on HTC EVO with Google+

• This makes using the google+ service more enticing… though i’m not to keen on using to facebooks =P

• This is very cool indeed and very automatic. I was worried at first about the privacy issue but can confirm the default is private. I’m not really a Facebook user but can already see that Google+ is much easier to manage.

No if only I could figure out how to invite my friends…

• How can I increase my chances of getting an invitation?

• I think they are metering invites. I just got mine today but when I try to invite I get a message about how Google+ is a limited Field Trial… On the forums some are still able to send invites while some can’t but I suspect the flood gates will open soon.

• Still waiting for invite here…

• I’ve been using google+ and its pretty awesome, and the system wide google changes like the main site, and the calendar are making a nice transition to the + system =D

• The real trick is to have a Google Profile.. if you do your 1/2 way in..

• Kudos to you John. Great write up on Google+ (I have it, but I only have two people in my network. Super slow rollout) and great writing in general. This is the first place I go to daily and you are a welcomed addition to the site. Keep up the good work.

• What good is a Social “network” if you can’t invite your friends? Sounds cool otherwise…

• Need invite as well. Can we somehow organize here to send few invites to each other? Thx

• My guess is that they want to generate buzz. Just like FB did when they rolled out with only ivy league students

• As a follow up to my comment, you can sync your photos when you want. You can sync them via mobile network or you can choose to sync only if you are connected via wifi and/or charging.

Set mine to wireless and charging. Boom. 300 pics and vids synched this morning when I woke up.

Now if they would only allow me to embed music from my google music beta account in my posts…

• This is more specifically, one-way syncing. My issue w/ this is the fact often times I’ll retake a photo because of one reason or another. So if I go back to delete the crap, it’s already uploaded. It doesn’t get deleted if I delete it off my phone.

Just an FYI for those looking at this. I’d just upload select ones manually, but right now posting through the Mobile Google+ app is buggy and auto-resizes/compresses between 640×480 and 1280×720 depending on aspect ratio

• This is a great thing for all of us Evo 4g owners and new Evo 3d owners. This google plus will be a great addition in the social networking world I look forward to using it on my evo 3d definately..

Is there any option to upload all the images % video in the phone? because google+ i.u. only upload the photos&video that are in the camera folder…

The only solution that i found is copy all to the camera folder :s

• I got an invite and never set it up yet? Not really sure what all it is and does. I do know you download the app from the marketplace and sign in. I need to google it and read more about it.

• My invite was to Google music beta the cloud music storage that’s not the same thing is it? Guess I don’t have a google plus invite.

• How do you get on the list?

Anybody else giving out invites!? I’d take one :) csindq90 @ Gmail.Com