AppsGood and EVOTips & Deals

How to keep those pictures and videos on your HTC EVO private

No picture We all have our reasons. Sometimes you don't want your buddies to see that picture a certain lady friend just sent to your HTC EVO. Maybe you have photos from your past you don't want your children to see, but would show an old friend in an instant. As I'm sure we were all told at one point or another, "If you wouldn’t show it to your grandma, should really it be on your HTC EVO?"

But let's be honest. We put it on our EVOs anyway. Usually, we bank on luck and hope that our friends don't stumble upon that picture, album, video. You know they probably won't see it, but oh my god, what if they do!? This could mean public humiliation, a scolding from your parents, incarceration! (Just kidding about the last option.)

But now, thanks to a few apps, you never have to worry about these files being seen by prying eyes again Keep reading to see the apps that will save your ass!

PhotoVault ($1.00): Market (EVO) | Market (web)

Photovault

Most of you probably have a license to this app via Amazon's Free App of the Day promotion. This is a nifty little app for the beginner, but necessary for the advanced file hider too. This app is nice because it requires a password to see certain pictures on your phone. Not only that, but it hides the pictures from the default Gallery app. This is a clutch win/win.

Before

You enter your password and…

Voila

Smart App Protector Free (free): Market (EVO) | Market (web)

Smart app prot

This is a great app (and it's free). It has many features but the one I will focus on is the ability to "lock" apps. Once again: clutch. You get to block ten apps in the free version. If you simply blocked Market, Gallery, and all file managers, you would probably be safe.

But it can be tedious having to unlock Market and it will probably be left unlocked. This leaves a loophole in the blocking system for video files. There is no good video "hiding" app like PhotoVault. So, what do we do if we have videos to hide?

QQPlayer (free): Market (EVO) | Market (web)

Qqplayer qr

This is a free video player replacement. There are others out there, but I chose this app because it supports .AVI file formats (most of the time). If you import your videos in a format that the EVO can't play by default, you can use QQPlayer to play the file.

Simply use Smart App Protector to block this app. You can still view online videos, Netflix, and recorded videos just as perfectly as before. But you have to use a separate, protected app to view your secret videos. This is especially great if the videos are in a format that the EVO does not support by default. Now, if somebody uses a file manager to click on the video, they will have no way to play it.

Password

All right, maybe I went into too many details and I may seem a tad paranoid at this point. But, if you are like me and want to protect vital files on your EVO from being viewed from unwanted people (or anyone besides you), you now have a solution!

Let us know what steps you take to hide pictures and videos on your EVO.

Sam Sarsten

Sam Sarsten is a former contributing editor at Good and EVO, which was merged with Pocketables in 2012.

32 thoughts on “How to keep those pictures and videos on your HTC EVO private

• Note to everyone (as my baby girl plays next to me): Please look at the byline of this post. It wasn’t me! :)

Dont forget Hide N Seek and Fox Private messaging

Put all the blame on me for this one, Jenn! :D

• oooor you can just use Astro (or any other file manager) and put all of those pictures in a folder and add a period to the beginning of the folder name. for example “.Nasty Nakie Photographs” lol and it will hide them from all apps that’s not a file manager – you might wanna use a more inconspicuous folder name tho ;)

• I purchased this app and used it for a while but because it doesn’t store video and a few other issues with the earlier versions I stopped using it. Now I just use a hidden folder I manually created with astro file manager (you can use any file manager I’m sure). Create a folder and name it something inconspicuous just be sure to start the folder name with a “.” (ie. “.secretpics” (obviously this would be a poor choice for a folder name lol)) This will hide the files in the folder from the gallery and other apps. Then I just cut and paste any pics or vids you want to hide. It moves the folder to the top of the list with other system files so no one even notices it. Plus 99% of people don’t know enough to ever find it lol

I use Pandora. I also use ShadySMS…. which is a GOD send.. it filters out SMS and MMS according to your settings. I also use Application protection… basically, i don’t have to lock my phone. Anyone can use it, but they can’t see the text messages from certain people.

• LOL! That’s what my friend does he adds the . to stuff he wants to hide in Astro and it hides the folder.

• Search for RedList in the Market. Also many of these apps can be used to filter SMS from 9016 whenever you get a new voicemail (on ROMs that don’t handle this well by default).

I wonder how these play with the auto photo uploading on Google+? (Seriously, I wonder. I dont have Google+!”)

• haha, hope u don’t want to hide any PDF’s from Adobe reader with your .secret naming scheme cause all pdf’s still show up in the reader app…

• aren’t there any apps that will set up a locked vault-like folder similar to truecrypt for any and all files you choose to stuff in there?

Try Vaulty free I use it to hide pix ,video,and documents. It.s free on the market and vaulty pro has a few ffeatures the free one doesn.t . It.s password locked and I.ve been able to tranfer it to 2 evo’s and my 3D when I reinstalled it and put in my password all my (ahem) PICS were there. Sorta like a cloud I.m guessing

• Use quickpic. It is a free app on the market that lets you hide and exclude directories as well as password protect the hidden folders. It automatically adds the .nomedia file to you folders and will block them from default gallery app. Also lets you move, copy aand delete multiple files with ease. Awesome app. Will automatically lock hidden apps when you exit using the back button.

There is a good fee one called pandora (as in pandora’s box) not the music playyer. It will separate (and totally hide) pics or movies you want to keep private, and its free.

• I use the ‘hide’ feature in the Miui gallery

Vaulty has been a relationship saver, you dont even know, lol.

There is a major flaw with a lot of these protection apps tho…. all you have to do is insert the memory card into a computer or another phone and ….. all the pictures and videos … are there.

I use Vaulty. Paid for the “stock” version so it looks like a stock app. If you put in a company’s name, it will take you to the yahoo financial page of that company. I prefer something password protected. The whole “.” before a folder name, someone can easily choose to show hidden folders and whaalaa. I recommend Vaulty free or paid. And even if you wipe your phone, they aren’t on your sd card as files you can view on the computer – so if you factory reset and just redownload vaulty, all is there like it never left!!

The level of creep would be pretty extreme if somebody went to those measures to see your pics/videos.

Given the number of positive votes here for Vaulty I googled it and came across this thread…
    While it begins in 2010 at earlier versions of Vaulty, the last entries are just last month. So caution is advised. As usual, it’s impossible to know how much of the postings are user error, nevertheless, JHenry’s post in June in that thread is probably good advice.

• Actually with Vaulty, you’re hidden pics/videos aren’t viewable on the computer.

• Having *those* pics on my EVO 4G actually helped me recover my phone when it was stolen. My Lookout software wasn’t finding the phone, so I used sprint’s family locator to track down the phone to a nearby huge elementary school. Apparently, some kid had swiped it from me. So i rushed over and told the school office that it was stolen from me and told them it contained many adult photos. (I failed to mention it was password protected). I have never had such fast response from the Houston police in my life! 15 mins later, I had the phone in my hand!!

I have quickpic but how do you password protect the directories?

Is there a good way to make the camera app use something like quickpic instead of the stock android picture viewer?

• Just make Quickpic your default image viewer & it will take over all functions from the stock gallery app.

Or you can just go under gallery hit the default albums and uncheck all if you have it in the downloads or all pics section