Good and EVO

HTC EVO 3D to receive permanent root access later today?

Unrevoked-alpharev-announcement

Well, well … what do we have here? It looks like a new website has popped up, announcing that developers unrevoked and AlphaRev have something "truly revolutionary" that they will announce later today. We know that they have been working together for a little while to produce a simple, one-click permanent root solution for the HTC EVO 3D and its cousin, the HTC Sensation 4G for T-Mobile. Could this mean that their root-tool is about to go public, finally bringing permanent root and S-OFF capabilities to the masses?

It's all pure speculation at this point, but we do know that developers have been on the verge of rooting the EVO 3D for weeks now. Still, before we allow ourselves to get too excited, we should also keep in mind that this page is only saying that they are announcing something, not releasing anything. So perhaps they will just formally announce the merging of the two teams, or let us know exactly what they are currently working on in the pipeline.

Another possibility could be the announcement of a root exploit for original HTC EVO 4G handsets that have accepted the latest OTA Gingerbread updates.

All of this comes right as HTC just released the kernel source code for the EVO 3D and the Gingerbread update on the original EVO 4G earlier today. This means that, if unrevoked and AlphaRev really are releasing their new root tool today, the developer floodgates are about to open wide, and the coming weeks and months are about to get very exciting.

[Phandroid]

John F

40 thoughts on “HTC EVO 3D to receive permanent root access later today?

• Please say it is root access for the HTC EVO 4G Gingerbread update. I really want to root this thing.

This sound gooood… I cant wait

Who cares? I am getting DirectTV with NFL Network free for a year tomorrow! :)

Seriously though, that’s great. Knew it would happen eventually.

• Woohoo! (unofficially excited)

• This is the one time I am glad to have gotten a reman Evo 4g. Thankfully mine came with 2.2 and I had it rooted minutes after I brought it back from sprint.

• I can’t wait! Maybe I’ll have my 3d rooted before I go on vacation.

• trust me on this, make no major changes to your phone right before you travel.

• lol that’s what I was thinking

• Oh no!

RT @agrabren Way to go #htc with your releasing the wrong source code. Please comply with #gpl

• that really is a teaser. I wouldn’t think that just finally rooting the 3D would be “revolutionary” – maybe it’s something even more exciting.

but that said – Can’t wait to get perm root for my 3D!

• My EVO is getting all hot and bothered by the thought of getting rooted again :)

• I hope its perm root news! Since I upgraded to my 3D, Ive been having serious flashing withdrawls! I need to flash a ROM NOW!

• Trust him on this – do not root, flash a new rom, or anything prior or during travel. Over Christmas vacation I tried flashing a bad copy of Sprint Lovers (bad download) 13 hours later I had a phone working again.

I had failed nandroids and zips on the sd card due to cross-linked clusters (which I’m pretty sure were indicative of the card going bad) and then had to download a 200 meg pc36img on a 512k dsl.

It was not a fun day

• oh geez, when i read the title…i jumped out of my chair. I seriously hope they announce the S-OFF has been successfully been completed.

MAN WHEN I READ THE TITLE, MY SHORTS TURNED BROWN. I THOUGHT I WOULD NEVER ROOT MY EVO 3D BUT I AM KIND OF GETTING TIRED OF THE HOME SCREEN. I CAN’T WAIT TO GET THE FULL ROOT.

oh by the way i know why my shorts turned brown.

i wasn’t the excitement, it was the runny s….

• YEAAAAAAAAAUUHHHHHHHH!!!

• +1 to that. I won’t ever ever ever do that again lol

• Aw bro you should have just flashed the rooted Gingerbread update, not accepted the OTA one. That’s like rule #1 of rooting your phone

• I hope so, i cant wait to get rid of HTC’s bloatware although admittedly it’s not hurting me as much as it did on the EVO 4G since the 3D has so much more memory. but still, I don’t even want to look at it anymore. and I miss my free wifi tethering

• I think maybe they just needed another strong word that had “evo” in it lol

• I agree with you but the new Evo 4G phones come with S-ON just like the 3D, not like they had a choice…

Well it’s later and it’s today…

• I know. I have had mine since day 1 but never rooted it. By the time I decided I wanted to, I had already done the OTA update. Now I have been anxiously waiting…

• Looks like a release here:

“this software is a developer preview” as per the above link, so it may not be for everyone.

• As per the above link, here are the supported devices for reference:

Supported Devices

Revolutionary currently supports the following Android phones and HBOOT versions:

HTC Desire (bravo) 0.93.0001 HTC Desire CDMA (bravoc) 1.06.0000 HTC Wildfire (buzz) 1.01.0001 HTC Aria (liberty) 1.02.0000 HTC Incredible S (vivo) 1.09.0000 and 1.13.0000 HTC Droid Incredible 2 (vivow) 0.97.0000 HTC Desire S (saga) 0.98.0000 and 0.98.0002 HTC View (express) 1.09.0000 and 1.13.0000 HTC Flyer (flyer) 1.10.0000 HTC Sensation (pyramid) 1.17.0006, .0008, .0011 and .0012 HTC Evo 3D (shooter) 1.30.0000 and 1.40.0000

Revolutionary will permanently unlock NAND write protection by default on the following phones:

HTC Sensation (pyramid) HTC Evo 3D (shooter)

sucks not having EVO 4G on that list

• Please post how difficult it was afterward. If it’s doable in a step by step way that could be posted here on the 3d, I’ll probably go “upgrade” to that while the trade in is good on the 4G OG.

• I have an Evo 4G which I already Rooted previously using Unrevoked3.
    It was a relatively simple process.
    You can check the link out
    and give it a try, or wait for others feedback.

Anyone can download this version, but as the site says, it is a developer preview, and will have its bugs etc. as is expected on the first go around.
    You may just want to give it a little time before you install it, for updates, etc. or you can go ahead and give it a try.
    May be best to wait for the power users and developers to iron out the issues which may present themselves.
    I believe there is a beta key involved which is specific to each device, which will report bugs to the Developers.

• exactly, i waited till my trip from across the country was over before i went in to pick up my crappy refurb with 2.33

• damn it, do you guys think there will be a one clicker root for evo 4g?

• Forget that, more like I hope there’s a one click root for the evo 3d!

• There’s many Evo 4G users out there with Gingerbread that deserve to have Root. Maybe more than han 3D users. They should get their fare shake, no?

• Email Unrevoked and see what the status is…..

Biker1 – I have been rooted for a while. The new revolutionary isn’t a 1 click root which is why I wanted YOU to be the guinea pig with a 3D. On the other topic it looks like people are bricking their phones for now. :(