Good and EVOHacksTips & Deals

Rooted HTC EVO 3D? Time to install a ROM!

WINNING Welcome to the root family, HTC EVO 3D users! We're glad to see that unrevoked and Alpharev have given the community a developer preview of permanent root for the EVO 3D. In the coming hours, days, and weeks, we should expect to see many ROMs begin floating around (along with a more stable version of Revolutionary).

But I know a lot of you out there want more from your newly rooted EVO 3D. So let's discuss the TeamWin recovery project (aka twrp) and one of the first custom ROMs available for the EVO 3D.

After using Revolutionary to root your EVO 3D, you're going to want to install a custom recovery. TeamWin's twrp is a new entry to the recovery family, but should work just fine on your EVO 3D (although, for the faint of heart, this has not been extensively tested yet – be wary of the choices you make with your phone).

You can pick up the recovery image here and will need to install it via fastboot.

If you aren't sure what fastboot means, don't worry. I'll try to help. First, you need ADB and Fastboot USB drivers, which allow you to use "fastboot" on your EVO 3D; it's essentially just a tool used to transfer special files from your computer to your phone. You need to boot into fastboot by turning on your EVO 3D while holding the volume down key and selecting the FASTBOOT option from the menu.

In ADB, you will have to enter the following command in Command Prompt/Terminal:

fastboot flash recovery [insert path to twrp.img]

Obviously replace the text in brackets (and throw out the brackets themselves) once you have downloaded the recovery image.

Your EVO 3D will install the recovery image and you are now ready to install your first ROM. Of course, the first thing to do in recovery is create a Nandroid backup. I do not own an EVO 3D, but this should be pretty easy to figure out.

Then, of course, you need a ROM. There are very few available, but the Ti-X E3D ROM (v1) seems to be a good place to start. This ROM is very stock, only adding minor tweaks to help your EVO 3D run better (optimized apps, odexed ROM, added cache). Pick up the ROM from here and follow these instructions loosely (considering you will be using a different recovery image) to install your first EVO 3D ROM.

Congratulations, your EVO 3D is running a custom ROM!

Sure, it may not be the best ROM or the most stable recovery image – hell, the root method is a developer preview. But it doesn't really matter. Today is a glorious day in EVO land: the EVO 3D has been rooted!

[PPCGeeks | xda-developers]

Sam Sarsten

Sam Sarsten is a former contributing editor at Good and EVO, which was merged with Pocketables in 2012.

33 thoughts on “Rooted HTC EVO 3D? Time to install a ROM!

• Fastboot driver isn’t installing…

NICE! Question though, will there be an S-ON tool in case something happens and we need to unroot? Or does running an RUU undo it?

• I got it..I had some drivers interfering.. but now i got the fastboot rebooting like 3 times then failed…

• an RUU will undo it..

• I just got it…S-OFF!! and its says revolutionary on the top. But the computer said i failed tho. But it says S-Off….

Glad to hear it worked. After a nandroid you should try out that ROM and I might post some screenshots.

• Ok. Now i tried to run the root again and now it says my phone is not supported. But my phone says S-Off now. What step am i missing?

• Had no issues unlocking the boot loader. Nor did I have any issues loading clockworkd mod and gaining root. I am currently doing titanium backup. All this was done after a nandroid backup after loading clockwork mod ofcourse.

• My device says S-Off now. but i cant seem to flash the recovery…

• Got ROot! whoo hoo. about to try install ti-x rom. let you guys know ow it goes in a sec

• Hey jamar! Clockworkmod?

• Well got root and recovery to work but when I try the ti-x rom i get a

error in tmp sideload package.zip

Anyone got this? more importanly anyone have a fix for this?

Um, flashed it. adb no longer sees phone so can’t do fastboot.

*UPDATE: Went to bed with 50% charge. Woke up at 3am with dead phone (weird). Tried charging phone. Even when plugged in after 30 minutes, PHONE WILL NOT TURN ON. Pulled battery, blah, blah, blah – nuthin.

May have bricked phone. Swell.

However, this may be battery related and have nothing to do with the root. Battery has been draining like mad when in sleep mode ever since I got it. May be bad battery.

Problem solved. Just had to pull the battery and leave it pulled for about 10 minutes.

Ok, got everything working.

One problem people may be running into with fastboot is that you need to copy the fastboot.exe over to your sdk/platform-tools folder. The supporting .dll is there but they left fastboot.exe over in the sdk/tools folder.

Then just put the new recovery in your sdk/platform-tools folder and you can easily flash it.

Seems like an oversight.

So are we to assume that downloading any updates from EVO or Sprint might break root?

My guess would be yes.

Maybe i wanted them to be tired! LOL.

• If anyone runs into an Error Code 16 while trying to make/receive calls/texts try to update your PRL and Profile if that doesn’t work you will have to call Sprint and have them reset it. I recommend after you do a few boots try to update the PRL and Profile before you get the Error code. That is all.

Also, if you want a good how to root for your 3D check it out! http://therootofallevo.com/2011/07/s-off-recovery-su-access-step-step-guide/

• does anyone if you can root evo 4g with gingerbread update,?

• Not yet. I’m sure someone will have it sooner or later. I think a lot of people are focusing on the newer phones like the evo3d. But there are alot of people still on evo4g and its messed up no one has done anything with it. Hopefully when they start unlocking bootloaders evo 4g is one of them. We’ll see.

retard question. what does RUU stand for?

Try a different cable. I have a mini-USB cable with an adapter on it and I started having issues with charging about a week ago. Changed the cable and everything is back to normal. It’s worth a shot.

• You guys rule the easy root and s off I ever done love it overclocked to 1.738 runs stable qudrent score 3670. Eat that Samsung thank you all that made this work.

• I had this problem and had to call sprint. Took about 15 minutes for the guy to do something and have me pull the battery and boot again. After that, it was all good. Love the root action.

For anyone using wireless tether, I had to select the EVO4G profile to get my 3D to work.

• Which app are you using to overclock? Are you on a stock sense 3.0 ROM?

• thanks, and yes i regret unrooting my phone..

• They spent a good hour going over the house; they took some measurements, checking out the walls, to determine if we had enough
    space in the walls to install the equipment. – Shut down
    your computer, unplug the keyboard, plug
    it back in, and start up again. Get rid of unnecessary
    things, broken cups, vases and tights cruelly.