AppsGood and EVO

Android Market update unofficially brings PIN locking and +1ing to HTC EVO

Snap20110824_000106 The Android Market saw a pretty substantial update last month. Yesterday, another one (of decidely less epic proportions) was pushed to select Android devices. Much like the last update, this one isn't officially available for our HTC EVOs, but that doesn't mean we can't have the latest and greatest.

Android Market 3.1.3 has added two main features:

1. Pin Locking. If you choose this option, you will have to enter a PIN every time you make a purchase in the Market. This is a great feature for when you are letting someone else use your phone and you don't want them to buy anything.
  2. +1ing. This funny combination of symbols, numbers, and letters is Google's new way of telling people what you like. Another way to spread the word about great applicaitons for HTC EVOs.

Both rooted and unrooted EVOs can update to the new Market. Rooted users should backup their current Market setups using Titanium Backup (one of G&E's 10 must-have root apps) or MyBackup Root just in case anything bad happens.

You can download the update here and then just install it like you would any other .apk file. After that, enjoy the latest Market and get to +1ing!

[AddictiveTips]

Sam Sarsten

Sam Sarsten is a former contributing editor at Good and EVO, which was merged with Pocketables in 2012.

15 thoughts on “Android Market update unofficially brings PIN locking and +1ing to HTC EVO

• Rooted downloaded apk file no +1 all other goodies there but no + 1

• I never even officially got the first update, wtf! :(

• Got the new update. Now in my apps it only list 2 of them. And I have about 50 apps. Hopefully it gets sorted.

In the first paragraph it says “Much like the last update, this one isn’t officially available for our HTC EVOs”.

• That’s funny, I have friends with EVOs that received the OFFICIAL update! -1 on your failed correction!

That sentence should probably say “this one isn’t officially available … YET”. The article linked by “substantial update last month” announced that the market update 3.0.27 was going out for EVOs. And there are several comments on that post (as recent as today) that people still haven’t received that update.

Oops. That was supposed to be a reply to benodiktine.

• I just installed it and my new app updates are still coming through and all of my 86 apps are shown.

• I haven’t received the original market update referred in this article either! EVO 3D in MN

Sorry if i came off rude, not my intention. I re-read that paragraph and it still sounds like he’s saying the original update isn’t officially out but i clicked on the “much like the last update” link and read that it’d be coming out in the next few weeks. it’s been well over a month since then and i haven’t received it either. really, really lame. :(

thanks for the info.

I still dont have the original update either.. I am still waiting..and waiting… Evo3d

• Yeah, I have not received the update on my EVO 4G. Thinkin about downloading the apk but if it doesn’t list all your apps, I might just stick with what I have.

I downloaded version 3.1.3 and really don’t like it.
    When before the old version when I opened it and click on menu and than My apps I was able to see all the apps that I had installed plus the system would tell me which apps needed to be updated.

With this version 3.1.3 I open my apps and I noticed if I scroll all the way down I see in grey Not Installed.

They should of added it to the top.
    Have you guys figured out how to view the updates better than this?

Thanks