AndroidGood and EVOTips & Deals

End calls quickly using the power button on your rooted HTC EVO [Updated]

PowerEnds One pet peeve I have with smartphones is that lag can greatly affect their behavior. Responsiveness of the screen when finishing a phone call, which can sometimes seem to take forever on my rooted HTC EVO, is an example of this. Fortunately, it turns out that in the settings for CyanogenMod 7 (and possibly other AOSP ROMs), there is the ability to end phone calls by pressing the power button rather than the end button on the screen.

Just go to Settings -> Accessibility and tap the option you see in the screenshot to let you press the power button to end calls.

I think this is a great little tip that should hopefully help out many people who might have tried to quickly end a call but instead ended up cursing out their phone while the person on the other end listened in on them.

[Lifehacker

Update: There seems to be confusion as to exactly who can use this feature. I am, as some commenters pointed out, on CM7 on my HTC EVO 4G. In seeing this story on Lifehacker, there was no mention of this being on a custom ROM or AOSP only. Usually when a tip like this applies to Android phones, it applies to almost everyone but me. In a great cosmic twist of karma to make me look foolish, it turns out this most likely applies only to me and people who have flashed their phone.

I've edited the post and apologize for the confusion, angst, turmoil, and upset stomach this might have caused.

Bruce Eaton

Bruce Eaton is a former contributing editor at Good and EVO, which was merged into Pocketables in 2012.

28 thoughts on “End calls quickly using the power button on your rooted HTC EVO [Updated]

• What happens when the display turns off during the call?
    So, if I had to pull up some contact info on my EVO while I’m on a call and the display goes off, I can’t turn the display back on without disconnecting the call?

• … your proximity sensor should turn the screen on the moment you move the phone away from your face. If it’s already away from your face, cover the proximity sensor and then uncover it.

• I don’t have this option on my EVO 3D. I get a pop up wanting me to install Google Talkback app from the market. Am I doing something wrong?

I am running SprintLovers and I don’t see that Power Button section. When I went to accessibility I was greeted with a screen telling me to download TalkBack. Was the power feature removed from SprintLovers?

• That’s true. Thanks!
    (though I’m sure that with my luck, I will run into instances when the proximity sensor doesn’t do that! lol!)

I click on Accessibility on my Rooted Evo 4G running a Sense ROM, but I get a pop up saying “No accessibility related applications found…….”
    The Accessibility word is shaded, with a check box to the right, which cannot be checked.

I did a few Google searches, and couldn’t come up with anything regarding the Power Button ending calls on the Evo 4G, except this article. I wanted to see how to enable the Accessibility feature to access the End Call via Power Button feature.
    I don’t have any lag regarding ending calls, but I just wanted to check this out.

I did some more searching. I see others are not seeing any Accessibility options. Maybe it is not available on Gingerbread, and only on Froyo?
    I’m running GB 2.3.3

yea i dont have that option on my 3d either

I sent an email inquiry to Whitson @ Lifehacker

• What I need is an option to both answer AND end a call while wearing gloves. The power button would work nicely for that, but if I can’t answer wearing gloves, ending the call with the power button is somewhat unnecessary.

Neither do i!

• +1 for missing that option on a rooted 3D with stock sense rom…

I wish people that don’t know of what they speak would cease posting here. Life is tough enough without having to deal with the know-nothings.

Followed the instructions in the article and no such option appeared on my EVO 4G.

Umm..i get the same pop up, dnt feel bad hopefully they come out with a fix for this soon.

Ok people, look at the screenshot of the phone’s screen image. The background should give you some indication that the option isnt on the stock rom. The icons suggest that he is running cyanogen mod 7 or so. If that is the case, then within the options of cyanogenmod there are uber user setting options for you do be able to customize every aspect of your settings. Im just saying… Regardless the article did not specify whether or not it was a stock or custom rom option, so they should have specified…… Bad goodandevo, bad!! ;)

If you are talking about winter gloves, I have seen some with tiny metal pads on the fingers that allow you to do that. Also there are the gloves in mittens (the mitten part flips up to re4veal fingerless gloves)

• Too bad this doesn’t work on the stock EVO ROM…the submitter failed to mention that they are using CM7, or some other ROM besides stock.

Editors, please update this post to reflect this information.

Thanks,

This post is weak sauce!!

• Same as many others posted above, this doesn’t work on my rooted Evo running FreshRom.

Conceptually useful, but if I have to spend >5 minutes enabling this then it’s a waste of time. I can also hit the bright red “END” button just as effectively.

• But the need for this ‘fix’ in the first place is because the screen doesn’t always turn on right away when you move it away from your face! If it did, well, the end button is right there on the screen…

Don’t the editors review this junk?? What is their function if not to review content?

I flashed CyanogenMod 7.0.3.1 and I finally saw the Power Button option in Accessibility.

• Well at least you all have tried. Because I don’t have that option on my 4G Evo…..guess its just my luck.