Good and EVOSoftware Updates

HTC EVO 4G getting new OTA software update (4.53.651.1)

Htc-evo-sprint-hero-sm[1]Although already available on some HTC EVO 4Gs since yesterday, a new OTA update (version 4.53.651.1) is scheduled for widespread deployment over the next two weeks. This is a maintenance release that fixes issues with Picasa, Voice Recognition, and contact transfers over Bluetooth, along with some contact sorting and texting issues.

It is not known at this time whether this patch will break Revolutionary's recently released Gingerbread root method; however, as with all the previous OTA updates, it's better to expect that it will break root. So if you currently have root and want to keep it that way, then you should wait for a rooted version of the update to become available from one of the devs.

Those who want the OTA update as soon as possible can check for it manually through the usual Menu > Settings > System updates > HTC software update routin.

The new build is being rolled out in waves so Sprint's servers don't get completely slammed, which means that if it's not available to you now, it will be it later.

Anyone get it yet?

[Android Central]

Paul E King

73 thoughts on “HTC EVO 4G getting new OTA software update (4.53.651.1)

• I upgraded my HTC EVO 4G for the new Motorola Photon 4G, but kept my EVO 4G I just couldn’t part ways with it. However, I still use it- sort of like my 4.3 inch tablet when I get home from work connecting with my home Wi-Fi. Anyhow, I was wondering, since it’s no longer my primary phone, will I be able to receive this update when I’m connected on my Wi-Fi or are my days of updating the software on my EVO 4G over and done with? Thank you.

• Just got it and hoping it helps with the comeback of battery draining issues…

• why can’t they release a fix for the voice recog on the evo 3d already? It has never worked unless I am in a quiet room.

Sigh, JUST rooted to the new Gingerbread. Lost everything, bricked it, then finally got it working. Now they update…. just my luck!

• I would think you can >>
    – deactivate your Proton
    – activate your Evo 4G
    – Update OTA
    – deactivate your Evo 4G
    – reactivate your Proton.

The above can be done on your Computer, under your Sprint acct.
    Just Make Sure your Proton has been Activated for the proper period of time, before deactivating it, or you may Break your Contract Commitment.

• My voice recog works fine on my 3d, even in a noisy car doing 80 mph or in my bedroom with music or the tv on pretty loud in the background. You can adjust the settings on it so I’d try that and if its still not working take it to a Sprint store.

• I was told that it should get the OTA update by using WIFI. Again, as is the case with all advise from the sprint techs, it may not be valid. But you could just try it and see if it works – Menu > Settings > System updates > HTC software update

• If your phone is really bricked, you can’t possibly get it working again. So maybe you screwed it up or wiped your ROM and recovery, but you didn’t brick it.

• Thank you for the tips, I’ll make sure to give it a try once I get home from work, and I’ll post whatever does or doesn’t happen…Thank you

• If it’s a backup phone why update just root it and if you don’t know how just read, and there’s only a small learning curve.

• Is this update also going to help with the dreaded “reboot loop” so many have been experiencing? I’ve tried all the things listed around various places on the net, but no luck yet. Sprint service also no help… anyone experiencing this problem rooted?

• Says who? There are many links on how to unbrick evos along with other devices.

• if I recall correctly, 4 releases ago it was 2 days prior to the OTA, 3 releases ago it was 2 hours before it hit the air, 2 releases ago 11 hours, last release 6.

I’m going to take a nap, my bet is it’s rooted, odexed and deodexed versions available by the time I get up

• I just rooted with the new Gingerbread root the other night. I’m running (and switching between) MikG’s 2.45 ROM and also Swags’ wonderful ROM effort.
    Although I definetly wish to fix the voice recognition on my EVO, I’m not about to run this new OTA update until someone else who’s rooted becomes the ginny pig first. Ot until a root update comes out

• That only works for the mostly bogus term ‘soft bricked’ which means that it is actually recoverable. Bricking refers to irreversible or unrepairable damage to the firmware or hardware.

• Yep, I’ll wait for MikG to include these changes (at least the useful ones). Good news on the Voice recognition fix though. I’ve been seeing that problem lately.

• Thanks for the heads-up. I will try it out.

Ok Im still new to roms and how to update rooted phones. I have the evo 4G and it rooted and I know i have the clockwork orange app on the phone. i am still on rooted 2.2 froyo but I do see the new update I have tried to install OTA but it wont go on rooted phone it downloads then restarts I get the android guy and triangle with ! in it. I would like to know if there are any step by step guides to get my rooted evo up to date with HTC and most recent gingerbread? I want to keep the htc sense look as close as I can to stock. I have very little know how on this. I know I have the sd card I need, I installed free titanium back up but I have no idea how to backup my phone so i can return it to how it is right now if I screw up. I need a complete tutorial for a first timer. I think it was rooted with unrevoked but not sure had help remotely online and its on Boost Mobile. Anyone have time or link to a step by step tutorial how to get this all up to date??

This is correct. I have the evo 3d, have not activated it, and have received prompts for available system updates. It should be the same for the evo 4g. It just needs a data connection.

• I’m hoping this gives me the new Market, fixes the pop-up that I’ve got, and maybe HTC root? No?

• You may also want to add a SIP line to your 4G. I did and its my house phone now.

I have an unrooted 4g and recieved the OTA update on Monday morning. I did the install and it ended up soft bricking my phone. After it booted back up it just sat for over an hour with the circle load dash’s icon in the middle of the screen and would pop up htc launcher failure. I ended up having to have the handset booted back to factory settings and lost everything. Has this happened to anyone else?

• second that, the word “brick” has lost its old meaning somehow. it used to mean you did something to your something and it went wrong so your something is as useful as a brick with no chance of fixing it.

• I can’t wait for this to come out. I missed the voice recognition so much I restored a Froyo backup on my phone.

• * correction I can’t wait for the rooted version.

• Question please? I rooted my phone within 5 mins from the date this link was posted

Question is, I hear Sprint is releasing another update to fix a few things. I only rooted my phone using XDA method no other ROMS installed. I also downloaded titanium backup and backup and then removed some apps like Blockbuster.

Can I still get the Sprint update HTC EVO 4G getting new OTA software update (4.53.651.1)

NRHTX

• You definitely can. I have two evo’s (one with no service) and I get updates on it all the time

• I JUST UNROOTED REVOLUTIONARY FOR THIS UPDATE! anyways cant wait for the update! i unrooted bc im trading in my phone for another evo bc i scratched mine badly!

• If it is flashed for Boost Mobile and you want to use Boost… stop! You can’t update (I believe), that’s the life of somebody using another carrier the phone doesn’t belong on.

If you want to use it on Sprint/Wi-Fi only, wait for a rooted stock ROM of this update to release and then update PRL once you have the new ROM. Should be good to go?

Just curious why do you have two?

Ive been contemplating buying a second one myself as a back up but am looking for it at a good price like under 100. I will have an evo 4g for a long time regardless of all the countless new gadgets that come out. Thing thing does everything i need

What do you recommend. Thanks

• I am getting a trade-in as well. I wonder if the new phone I receive from them on Friday does not have this update. I hate having a stock phone.

Maby I just keep getting lucky, but when turning in my EVO(s) for repair/replacements sprint didn’t care that they were rooted. In fact when I traded one of my EVOs for the 3d the sprint store rep. noticed I had i different interface from the stock sense. (was running synergy) They took it with no questions. I even explained how to root with the guy and where to get the ROM.

Even the insurance through sprint doesn’t care if you are rooted. I have traded in 3 rooted phones with cracked screens. (2 from the wife, 1 from my mother) and again no issues or questions. If fact they will replace a bricked phone without having to pay the deductable. ;)

• Edgar thanks for replying. I should of been more clear. I rooted my phn using http://revolutionary.io/ I did not install any ROMS. If I unroot to just get the update that fixes a couple of things. Will I be able to root again in other words I am wondering if S-OFF will be triggered back to S-ON.

Thanks

• OK folks. My phone is showing the update should I update with the phone rooted with revolutionary? I am curious if this update fixes a couple of things

• The team who made Revolutionary have stated at this time there is no way to change the custom bootloader that was set up on your phone when you got root for your phone. Basically root is the superuser access, whereas the custom hboot that is on your phone will be a dead giveaway that you’re not stock anymore (you’ll be s-off with 6.16.1002 instead of the stock 2.16). The custom hboot is how they exploited GB to give you s-off to flash a custom recovery so you could get root to flash whatever ROMS you want. Anyway, no way to get back to a stock hboot right now and unroot revolutionary, give them some more time to figure out a more permanent solution.

• Sadly, this does not fix the camera-reboot issue…

• Mike its true Sprint reps don’t care I used to work in Technical Support for Sprint at the call center and all of us there talk about our phones and how to root them. I’ve even referred many callers to this website for information “not affiliated with sprint, hint hint customer”.

I just updated and I’m not rooted so we will see how it performs.

I’m having this issue also Allen and was hoping that it corrected that. Darn it!

• I have a 3d on my account and a 4g on my dads and i use his phone and make sure its updated and has full functionality and the 2.3.3 update in June fixed the bugs I had and didn’t disable anything. My dad is on vacation right now but I’m going to update it for him when he gets back just to be up to date.

• Repeated checks for this update yesterday got me nowhere. But I did get the update this morning. (I had to hit “check now” about a half-a-dozen times in a row before Sprint/HTC coughed it up.)

Voice recognition now works while driving down the road. Before this I would have to be stopped with the AC turned off in order for it to work. I hadn’t really noticed the other issues this update is supposed to fix.

• I just updated my phone. but now when i press the home button twice to see all my windows, it’s all off centered. anyone else having this problem?

Root works and to get s on again flash 6.17 hboot image then reflash ruu check xda for details.

• Correct: *by definition*, “bricking” means that there is no way to recover the device (with the general caveats of “except by sending it back to the manufacturer” and occasionally “if you’re willing to open it up and apply heat and solder” in some cases — soldering a JTAG interface into a LinkSys WRT54G router, for example).

But in general, if *you* can fix it (without opening it up), it’s not a brick.

Yes, I’m a prescriptivist; yes most of the people at Language Log hate me. But what the hell *good* is language, if you can’t define what words mean?

• Do you mean “If I try to use my camera with less than half a charge, the phone hard-boots on me?”

Do you have an aftermarket extended battery?

I got the cheap Amazon Affil one for $10 and have that issue; I’ve diagnosed it to the battery’s charge controller cutting out due to the drain. Works ok, above 50%.

• Has anyone turned up actual release-notes quality documentation on this release?

• hey like i said i manage to unroot and have stock everything even hboot back to 2.16…

I updated it ut I canceled it and how can I resume it plz plz plz help

• I just received this update. The entire process (4G download & install) took 11 minutes. No errors and no obvious initial problems.

just received update still have s-off hboot still 6.16.1002

• Same thing happened to me DeMonte! It says no update available. Im gonna be patient n wait before I factory reset

• No update for me yet. I’m in Phoenix, Az. How does Sprint roll out the
    Updates. I even tried under HTC software updates. I still don’t have new
    Android market either.

• Wolverinex, OK you were already rooted correct? Then you applied the update 4.53.651.1 and it still shows s-off?

I want to apply this update to fix the voice to text issue. But I want to make sure my rooted EVO will not go back to s-on.

NRHTX

• Update not yet available in Flint, Michigan

• The weird thing is last week when this update came out I managed to click check for updates 4 times and I saw it. I did not update because I was afraid to lose root. Now I have been checking and no luck. I wonder if something happen that you cannot see the update.

Is there anyone here that was rooted and updated to this new version?
    Did you lose root?

NRHTX

• just updated and seems fine…

• wolverinex,
    sorry to bother again,

Some of us that rooted using revolutionary are wondering if you rooted 1st and then applied the updated version 4.53.651.1 ?
    Did the s-on stay or went off?

We would like to update with our rooted phones to see if the voice to text is working.

NRHTX

SF East Bay – just did a manual check for the HTC software update – took about ten minutes to complete it’s download & install cycles. Then did a manual check for upgrades to Firmware, Profile & PRL. So far, no bugs or slugs.

BTW, just played with a friend’s AT&T Samsung Infuse and that 4.5 screen makes the EVO look fat but puny.

The new market is not for HTC EVO 4G. You to download it online to your phone. Its not made it to the HTC EVO 4G yet.

No mind works fine.

Anyone have a link “proving” you can update with Revolutionary root and not have problems or lose root?
    THANKS

• Trying to install the update, rooted with revolutionary but all I get is a white triangle and a blue droid. When it reboots, nothing has changed.

• I used “All ClockworkMod Recoveries” in Rom Manager then used “Flash Alternate Recovery” and the update installed. I still have S-Off but lost SU, figuring that out now as the SU zip I used before errors out.

• For those that were looking and asking, I finally had the guts to try it and unroot my EVO.

I managed to unroot my HTC EVO 4G back to factory ROM and then update to 4.53.651.1 and the FIX voice to text works in loud places.
    The S-on was the same and the hboot the same.

I managed to do it with help from XDA webpage
    Forum user xcpefrmreality dated 27th August 2011, 0256 Am

FYI, I went back to use MIKG 2.5 and noticed that my software version was push back to 4.24.651.1

Now I am going back to 4.53.651.1 and I will wait until someone else has a new ROM with this version.

NRHTX

• I just ran revolutionary again, it skipped the s-off part, booted me back into recovery and the SU zip I used the first time worked again, so now its updated to 4.53.651.1, with s-off and SU. Done and Done..

• This update fixed the speech to text issue caused by the Gingerbread release….. (Finally)
    It’s now working Perfectly.
    I was extremely close to getting rid of my EVO and dropping Sprint after 12 years, because of that exact problem.
    Thank you Good and Evo for sharing the news about this update and always keeping us informed.
    Prayers & Blessigs

If you rooted before the 4.53.651.1 update, and want to apply the update, follow this guide. I didn’t have to install Amon Ra, just used ClockworkMod, and everything went as planned, and gained root back.

Also, if you are not rooted, apply update for 4.53.651.1 and the use the Revolutionary tool to root and that still works. Fixed issues as stated.

• Hey just wanted to give an update, and last night I was able to update my EVO 4G. Granted it did take awhile for the software to be pushed thru and it also feels good keeping my EVO 4G update even though its not my primary phone anymore.

Actually the new sprint lovers is buggy, especially the dialer and the wirelessN is broken. (but it is still called beta). And the new guy who took it over is a new chef.