AppleFeatures

What's gonna happen to Apple?

Steve-jobs1 If you don't like Apple, then you might as well say you don't like every other tech company in the universe. The Cupertino-based tech giant has innovated so much in the last 30-some years. And behind all that innovation was Steve Jobs.

For the past 10 of those 30 years, though, he has encountered numerous run-ins with cancer. It has come and gone, just like Jobs from his daily duties at the company. Now, however, Steve Jobs has officially resigned as CEO of Apple.

Before I get into my thoughts about the future of the company, I want to make something very clear: this is not, in any way, a "victory" for other tech companies. No matter how much you hate Apple as a company, you can't argue with the incredible innovation that has come from this man. Please, be respectful in the comments and keep your bad thoughts to yourself.

With that, let's look into my non-existent crystal ball, shall we?

In 1984, Apple released the original Macintosh computer. Easy-to-use graphics were its main feature, along with some fantastic apps to get some serious work done. As time progressed, the Mac only got better. Until, that is, when Steve Jobs was fired from the company. He left to found NeXT, Inc., in 1985, only one year later.

However, Jobs reappeared on the Apple campus in 1996, when NeXT was sold to Apple for $429 million and 1.5 million shares of Apple stock. Steve returned as a consultant at first, then an interim CEO, and finally coming back to the position he once had. During those first years back, Steve paved the way for Apple to bounce back on its feet, as the company, without him, wouldn't be here today.

2001 brought the original iPod, and today, Apple has the greatest MP3 player lineup of any company, and continues to dominate that market. 2007 rolled around and with it came the iPhone, which really needs no explanation. 2010 had the iPad, which, again, needs no explanation.

Apple's former COO Tim Cook will head the company as the new CEO from tomorrow onwards, but I'm not so certain things will be the same. If all of Steve's keynote stories are to be believed, he did most of the innovation and thinking behind the products; his employees did the designing of hardware and coding of software.

Now that Steve is gone, there has to be some amount of products that he overlooked while he was still the CEO, but that stash will certainly come to an end at some point in the future, and when they do, I think we'll know it. Things might not look as polished and keynotes are almost certainly going to be boring.

I also think innovation will continue to decline as Apple takes its new direction. I'm not trying to be a "Debby-downer," but I'm almost 100% sure that it will happen.

I'm not saying that Apple has no talent outside of Jobs, but I am saying that he definitely had the most. I think I speak for the rest of the Pocketables crew when I wish Steve Jobs the best and thank him for the spectacular products.

Calob Horton

Calob Horton is an associate editor at Pocketables. He loves all technology, no matter which company it comes from. This unbiased view of the tech world allows him to choose the products that best fit his personal needs and tastes: a Microsoft Surface Pro, a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and a third-gen iPad.Google+ | Twitter | More posts by Calob | Subscribe to Calob's posts

9 thoughts on “What's gonna happen to Apple?

• For one thing, directly related to this site, he made the fools believe 7″ is too small. This leads the mobile business to the wrong direction so badly, defeating all his innovations if any.

Typed this on my Galaxy Tab 7 that he’s banning.

• Saddened about Jobs’ health problems but upset again about all the BS re: innovation. If apple fanboys weren’t so retarded (which includes this article) you wouldn’t be seeing the backlash daily.

I agree, Johm.

Regardless of how we feel about Steve Jobs, a human being succumbing to cancer is a terrible, terrible thing.

• Exactly my words. It was Apple who made people believe that only a cell phone OS might be put on a device with touch screen. They also made stupid people believe that 10″ device is mobile. Apple is not innovating, they are only suing all other companies for doing innovations, because Apple holds thousands of absolutely stupid patents, just like Microsoft. In fact this is US government’s fault, that they allowed absolutely stupid patents and the reason why USA will bankrupt soon, while China grows rapidly.

It was also Apple who made Microsoft think that a completely locked OS is the right way to go (WM 6.5 -> WP7).

If this is Apple’s innovation, sorry, I won’t applaud them.

The job of any good salesman it to make you WANT what you are selling, which may or may not be what you NEED. Steve Jobs supplied the “vision” and the “hype” for Apple. Before the “return’, Apple was in the process of becoming a software company, similar to Microsoft. Multiple companies were manufacturing Macs, and the future appeared dim. With the introduction of the iMac, and the elimination of licensing Apple OS, Jobs drove the company to control both its hardware and software, and ultimately its destiny.

Superior engineering alone does not make a product marketable ( as has been proven in the VHS and DVD format wars). Steve Jobs became the voice and vision of Apple, and regardless of your feelings toward his megalomania, his passion will be missed.

• Going back to the “he resigns”, looks like he’ll still be on the board and has appointed the person he actually chose too. In that sense, he’s really not going very far from the CEO position.

• “Steve-jobs1 If you don’t like Apple, then you might as well say you don’t like every other tech company in the universe.” this is the most absurd sentence ever said! congrats!!!

• I guess I’ll join in with the majority and say that Jobs should be recognized for his marketing psychology, salesmanship and ability to create a larger-than-life image for himself and manipulate people’s perceptions and desires in ways that would make British mentalist Derren Brown envious, but it is unfair to credit Jobs himself with technical innovation. Jobs is a businessman first and foremost, not an engineer. Apple’s success has been due to both business people and engineers – otherwise, NeXT computers would have been a huge success under Jobs’ command and Apple would have been hugely successful during the period without Jobs. Obviously it took both to make Apple’s current success a reality.

Oh man, this really bites. I really liked the way this man thought. I thank him for my Ipod touch as well as every other touchscreen product ive ever had. I hope things will go they way he wanted without him :(