Good and EVO

More details have been Sprint-lte made clear about Sprint’s upcoming Strategy Update that is scheduled for October 7. This includes the launch of a brand new 4G LTE network in early 2012 that will be wholly owned by Sprint. This new network is being built out right now, although it still remains unclear exactly what this means for current HTC EVO users, whose devices run on Clearwire’s 4G WiMAX network.

Sprint is using a type of 4G technology in this new buildout called FD-LTE. This is the same type of LTE that Verizon Wireless is currently using, thus leaving open the possibility of future roaming agreements. In addition, Sprint is planning on using its G-block spectrum, which it got from its past merger with Nextel, as well as extra spectrum that will be freed as it slowly phases out Nextel’s older iDEN network. These lower 4G frequencies will ultimately make possible better indoor coverage and faster data speeds than what is currently available with WiMAX.

Clearwire’s role in Sprint’s 4G LTE network deployment remains unclear. Although Clearwire recently announced that it too plans on building out a nationwide LTE network, its flavor of LTE is called TD-LTE. This is not compatible with Sprint’s new network without a special chipset.

LightSquared’s role in this is also equally unclear, as is how Sprint will handle the many customers who currently own WiMAX devices like the HTC EVO. One possibility that we’ve mentioned is a deployment of EVDO Rev B across Sprint’s entire 3G footprint, bringing even faster 3G speeds of up to 9Mbps to devices like the HTC EVO 3D. This would hopefully satisfy data-hungry power users until LTE is fully deployed nationwide.

In any case, Sprint claims that building out its own LTE network will ultimately save it up to $11 billion over a seven year period. And any way you look at it, that will definitely make stock holders happy.

[CNET]

John F

47 thoughts on “HTC EVO-friendly WiMAX seems increasingly irrelevant as more details are learned about Sprint's 4G strategy

Hopefully there will HTC Evo 4G LTE next year too!

My primary line is out of contract in December so I’ll see if they release any lte coverage in my area and go from there. How can they expect people to continue to pay for 4g services that have incompatible devices. This evdo rev b better happen fast because my signal is is inconsistent that it’s a joke.

• I was about to try and wrangle an early renewal since my OG EVO has been increasing flaky about calls and has a terminal case of thinking that 42MB free space = 0 MB free space and thus can’t work anymore, but will now just lump it because any Sprint 4G phone will be obsolete loooooong before my next renewal. We never got 4G officially turned on in Detroit despite being billed $10/mo since June 2010 for it and now its 4G tech is orphaned.

It feels like when I paid $430 for the flagship Toshiba HD DVD player in August 2007 only to have Warner Bros. assassinate the format five months later on the eve of CES, but after Christmas when they sold lots of Harry Potter 1-5 box sets in full knowledge they’d be killing the format in two weeks.

If a Lte evo comes out they better grant early for us that have been with them since day 1 of the original evo. I know it won’t be likely but it will be a deal breaker and I’ll pay the extra $ monthly to Verzion just to have a reliable 3g network.

Won’t the original EVO be over 2 years old when this happens? Why should Sprint grant any of us anything special just because we bought an EVO? What you buy today will be obsolete tomorrow. Get used to it.

this was in reply to Dro3d

Why do people still think the $10 is for 4G????? If you buy any new smart phone on sprint you get charged $10 a month this is a premium data charge because chances are your going to use a lot more data then before and guess what its still cheeper service then both AT&T and Verizon!!!!

Sprint Basically said from the beginning that WiMax was a temporary thing and they would move to LTE, I think they should offer customers something who recently bought new WiMax phones.

Many customers have been, and are paying for 4G but not benefitting from it due to the dysfunctionality of it. Sprint made promises regarding the 4G Network which never came to fruition. Some customers have 4G services, while others have spotty service while others have no service. Now this LTE network us supposed to be rolled out? Sprint better make provisions for those who have 4G devices. Let Sprint use all the $10 Surcharges they’ve collected to pay for provisioning of services for those with 4G devices.
    What, after 2 years, our devices should be outdated? Why not put in a chip which outdates our devices after 1 year?
    Many of us have EVO’s, and while many will get new devices before 2 years are up, many more will not.

Because it is imo.

‘We at Sprint thank you for being a valued customer. We now have the LTE network up and running. The monthly fee for this service is $15 moving forward. We know you will be very satisfied with this new data service which you will be able to take full advantage of with a newly purchased LTE device.
    Thank you again for bring a loyal customer.’

Why is everyone dropping wimax like its hot???

1. Wimax is more expensive to expand.
    2. It has a higher frequency wave and thus does not penetrate buildings as well as LTE.
    3. Not available in as many areas.
    4. Not many suppliers of the network, which leads to blank spots and no roaming options.
    5. Download speed is dependant on full signal. Meaning that the speed drop of one bar is significant.

There are the biggest issues with Wimax

A smart phone gives me the ability to do things faster, easier. My “chances” of increasing usage of network actually increase with a faster network speed(4G), if I never get that I’m paying 10 extra usd just for having a bigger screen. Because “chances” are than on 3G no matter what phone I use my dat usage will me almost identical to that of a stupid phone.

Well, considering I live in the 4th largest city in the nation and I can actually get a 4G signal about 1% of the time, I would say 4G is a miserable failure.

8th largest. Typo, my apologies.

That’s incorrect.

The $10 is a *data* fee. If you Web-browse at all, or have MMS messages, or use almost *any* Web-connected app (e.g. Facebook, Google Maps, email, Google Voice, etc., etc.), you’re using more *data* than a “dumbphone” would use.

That’s what Sprint has been (and is still) charging extra for. It has nothing to do with 4G.

Biker1, Sprint could give 2 sh!ts about valued customers.

• I had a lot of space issues, but ever since I started using Darktremor’s A2SD (included in MikG), I haven’t had any issues. I used to be limited to around 80 apps on my phone, now I’ve got almost 400 without any space issues. I need to move my dalvik to sd-ext from /cache after flashing a new version of the ROM, but other than that it has solved all of my phone space issues.

WiMAX has always been irreverent, at least for me. I got the EVO 4G when it first came out. However Sprint never installed WiMAX in Albuquerque. I heard that they had setup a test tower in town, but I’ve never been able to find reception from it. So, as far as I’m concerned they should have called it the EVO 3G, as well as my more recent EVO 3G* 3D.

• Yep, why should we trust that Sprint is really going to roll out a new LTE network to most all of its users in 2012? Didn’t we already fall for this once?

They were talking so big about their expansion plans in 2010, but then 2011 hit and it was like they just halted all expansion.

Why won’t they just repeat this again with LTE? Why would it be different this time?

Having EVDO rev B would be nice and might tide me over until real 4G comes here. But if it isn’t part of the plan, then I will be looking for Verizon to be the first 4G provider in my area so that I can make the switch.

I know and I’ve already upgraded to the 3d. I was just making a point. I’m getting tired of the attitude of people on this site. And by the way early 2012 would maybe make it a year and a half since the original evo. Don’t take everything so literal. I was just stating a nice scenario that would take care of the g&e crowd as a lot of us feel screwed. As far as your fucking attitude and rudeness I won’t get used to it.

• I didn’t hear any announcements about Sprint moving to LTE in 2010 when I bought my Wimax phone. Do you have a link to an article with quotes?

• #2 is due to Sprint’s spectrum and not an issue with Wimax. It will improve for some users once they move 4G over to the iDEN spectrum.

That’s what it is now and has been for a while but the origin of that fee was only for 4g devices. I know that because that’s what the policy was when 4g first launched for sprint. I should know I was a store manager at that time.

Speak 4 yourself when spending your money

Sounds like you have been with Sprint since 2001 when they offered air plane tickets for singing up for 6 months !

Very classy and mature. One day, when you’re older, you’ll understand life a little better. Until then, be blessed.

Learn how to spend yours and you won’t feel taken advantage of when technology changes.

LOL… THE GOOD AND MAD AS TO THE (GOOD AND EVO) HAHA HA .. THIS IS THE GOOD AND MAD LOL , NOW DRINK SPRINT PEE AND LOL AND TELL ABOUT HOW YOURS TASTES. LOL I’VE BEEN WITH SPRINT SINCE 2001 I SHOULD GET AN AWARD MOST PISSED ON , MOST PISSED OFF , MOST PISSY OFFERS , THANKS SPRINT FOR THE AWSOME EVO NOW YOUR GONNA PISS EVERY ONE ELSE OFF WHEN U TAKE THAT AWAY GEE WIZ THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES…P.S DOES THE L T E INCLUDE A FREE CUP OF PISS JUST ASKING .

So maturity is responding with a smart ass comment? I apologize for my profanity but I’m just tired of the attitude that certain people post. One love!!!

Close, actually since 2000 ;-)
    Don’t remember the tickets though. Can I still get a pair lol!?

You got that right.
    It’s called ‘PARITY,’ the New Sprint Mantra!
    Sprint, the Parity Network!

That was a very Unrinteresting comment lol!

Typo.
    Meant to say:
    That was a very URINTERESTING comment lol!

Blah blah blah lol send me my air plane tickets like Sprint promised in 2001 , they promised round trip tickets for any one that sighed up for 6 months any were in the continental united states thru air train airline

After waiting for 4G all this time I decided to dump Sprint along with my EVO and went with Verizon. Got two HTC Thunderbolt’s (Almost identical to the EVO) on Amazon for $0.02 and now enjoy 4G LTE from my living room (13.25mbps download & 3.75mbps upload). Phones are rooted and sporting Synergy. Thank you G&E for all of the good info passed along. I hope you all get 4G LTE soon, it kicks ass!

• Out of curiosity, what is the data plan costs on Verizon.?
    Never wanted to go to them cause of their ala carte pricing, but maybe they have bundled their plans more.

• Not a VZW subscriber (although I have rooted 422 of their devices) but here’s what I found:

What do the new data plans cost?
    Data was previously $30 per month for unlimited use. The new plans are $30 for 2GB per month, $50 for 5GB, and $80 for 10GB. Feature phone users with Internet-compatible phones can choose to pay $10 for 75MB per month.

Don’t know if that’s still right, but that was Jul 6th

Thanks for that. Data prices are steep.
    Btw, I saw the C-Span with the CEO of Lightsquared the other day. The date is pushed back to 2014 for LTE to get online.
    But it appears there are Important issues to resolve with the FCC, Congress, etc. with the current GPS systems. The CEO is painting a very optimistic and rosey scenario, in very calm tones, but I believe this will be a very lengthy uphill battle to get all this up and running regarding getting all the approvals, GPS
    systems compatibility, etc.
    In addition, I believe that Verizon and
    AT&T will delay getting this system up and running for as long as they can, as they are exerting alot of pressure right now.
    I think the LightSquared/Sprint network will be a longtime coming, to get everything up and running, even though the Satellite is already up in the Sky and ready for testing.

though LightSquared already has their Satellite Up in the Sky already.
    The CEO has installed many systems throughout the World as he has said, But I believe the Burac

I believe the Bureucracy sic of the United States may delay this project for awhile.
    Excuse the partial incomplete comment above, as SwiftKey X is playing games once again, as I am unable to scroll down past a certain point.

• Because LTE is easy to spell and will save millions in printing in the next Seven years by having to only print Three letters instead of Five.

Not to mention if you happen to call tech support in another country where english is a second language at best…LTE is easier to pronounce.

I doubt that “4G LTE” stands for “For Guarantees Lie To Everyone”. Or does it?

• Thanks for the updates Biker1.

What scoot do ya ride?

I just cruise now in my older dayz…I have an 08 FXSTC.
    Cruising helps clear my head and slows life down enough to catch up some days! lol

Here in florida you really have to watch for cages…lots of retired people here on the Gukf side…they do not see you.

• Anytime ;-)
    91 FXRS Customized all da way, including a worked 113ci El Bruto engine with 130 horse and 135 torque.
    Hear ya about those who pay no mind to the road, much less Bikers. Make up, eating, radio playing, yelling at kids in back seat, on the phone, etc.
    I’m the one looking at their rear view mirrors.
    And forget about those left turners., stop sign runners, seeders, etc.
    Be safe out there.