Good and EVO

Mobile Hotspot feature on HTC EVO to be capped at 5GB beginning October 2

Playbook-hotspot-change

Could this be the beginning of the end? In light of the news contained in Sprint's most recently leaked Playbook, it certainly seems like it to many HTC EVO users. Indeed, as of October 2, Sprint's Mobile Hotspot plan will come with a 5GB 3G/4G cap.

Formerly, the 5GB cap only applied to data used over 3G; 4G data that was accessed through the Hotspot app on the EVO remained unlimited.

Now before you get too up in arms over this, keep in mind that data accessed through the phone will still be unlimited. The 300MB roaming cap will also remain unchanged. What is significant, however, is that the new hotspot plan will come with overages of $0.05 per MB, which is a practice of competing carriers that Sprint has previously mocked.

Granted, most of you probably use other methods when the need arises to tether. And if this is what it takes to keep phone data unlimited for the time being, then should we really complain? On the other hand, in light of all the other cuts Sprint announced last week, it doesn't really seem like much more can give at this point.

Will this plan change affect you? If you are a current Mobile Hotspot subscriber, do you plan on finally taking the leap and rooting your phone to get this feature for free? Feel free to sound off in the comments.

[Sprint Feed]

John F

41 thoughts on “Mobile Hotspot feature on HTC EVO to be capped at 5GB beginning October 2

• And the countdown begins to the end of unlimited on mobile phones. I give it about 1 year. I’m sorry but if unlimited goes away I would pay extra to switch to verizon and use my work discount. Its just not worth it if thats the case. As of now my 3g is at old phone line speeds. I used to connect on 3g at around 1mbps with highs at 2mbps. I just tried 4g in orlando and I hit 1.5mbps. This is just unacceptable when verizon lte is hit over 15mbps. Sprint better make some changes soon. Ive stuck by them for 10+ years and would like to stay with them. Cmon sprint, don’t let us down.

• I think this is Sprint shooting themselves in the foot. What’s the incentive to pay the extra $30, otherwise? FWIW, I am one of the people who do pay the premium, but if that’s going to be the way they treat me, bet that I’ll stop paying the extra, and just root my phone.

Dumb. All the other takebacks, I understood, and even defended Sprint. They lose money. They’re competing in a tough industry, and have to cut back on some things. No worries, AND I’ll still pay the extra, even though I know how to get out of it, because it’ll help the company that was doing what I wanted them to do, giving me unlimited date. It’s time for me to vote with my wallet…I won’t drop Sprint at this point, but I’m definitely not paying that $30 premium anymore.

as I’m typing this I’m watching a commercial for unlimited data on the Now network. If they drop unlimited data on smart phones plans I’m out. I can’t receive a call in my house or even in my driveway and the only times I can enjoy the speed of my 3d is when I’m on wi-fi. I know I’m grandfathered in to an unlimited family data plan but when they switch to lte I’ll want an Lte decvice. I have a feeling that they will probably somehow find a way to change my plan due to the I-bullshit that is coming to Sprints network. I’m all about the dev community but this kind of change was bound to happen when rooted users are accessing this feature for free.

Sprint is on a path to increase revenue – no matter what…

Lately, they have increased ETF to $350, cut the premier program out completely (including premier gold that gave annual phone upgrades) and now this… IMO, they are taking away their competitive edge..

• I’ll be sure to remember this when I’m using PDAnet at absolutely no cost :)

so if your rooted… your good?.. or do you have to watch your back?

• This majorly stinks. Not that I use the mobile hotspot myself, but it’s just another sign that truly unlimited will no longer be. But thanks to the premier changes (and then premier death), increased termination fee, & smartphone charges, it’ll be easier to let go and jump ship once Unlimited goes bye-bye.

Also, I don’t get why they put a limit on 4G too. Is their back end so overloaded that they need to put that restriction on too? Is this a measure anticipating the rush of incoming data-hungry iphone tetherers?

Is it Sprint or is it Google? I have notice of late that when I go to “Market” just about everything I want to download says too large for 3G, must download via WiFi. I use to be able to download Rom Manager with 3G now it won’t allow me unless I use WiFi. Anyone else having this problem.

Wow! What a surprise regarding this data cap.
    I mentioned that a data cap was going to come next >>
    Well, this is a hotspot data cap, but a device data cap is not too far behind, I’m sure.
    Sprint is achieving ‘parity’ as they have mentioned. They may even surpass parity eventually.
    I have no allegiance to Sprint, as i have been a customer for over 10 years, and pay them good money every month. My allegiance is to Myself.
    If I find a better plan at a competitive price, including a better device with another carrier, I will go there as warranted. As of now, I’m happy where I am.
    People that believe Sprint has an Allegiance to their Customers may want to rethink how the Corporate World operates. Corporation’s Main Concern is the Bottom-line. Customers ‘feelings’ and loyalty to customers are secondary.
    Funny how all these take backs from Sprint are happening so quickly, and all at once. What could be the catalyst for this?
    I wonder………….

I’ll take this instead of a limited data plan on the phone. I am willing to bet that many people were using the tether option as their main internet service, and that a very small percentage of people were using most of the network’s bandwidth.

Now the question is, how do we trick the network into thinking that my tethered computer is my phone?

I just posted yesterday that I will be switching to verizon as soon as sammy 2gp phone is available. I took incredible from my friend and measured 3g speed around few towers. Sprint gave me 150kBps comparing to over 250kBps by Verizon at full signal. Ping is much lower at Verizon as well. I don’t think Verizon’s 4g being worst then sprints. I will pay more but get what I pay for. Good luck with Sprint.

Uh…Sprint? Buh-bye.

• although i think its ridiculous they cut this out, one possible explanation i see could be this:

sprint upgrades to LTE in the future, meaning those tethering over LTE consume a massive amount of data on a high speed connection. instead of capping later and having to say “we messed up/didn’t forsee this logjam, were going to cap your lte now”. they have given us the bad news first, and they good news will come next, lte.

at least i hope.

• i will also add that it would behove sprint to drop all their bad news at once, rather than continually hit us with bad news after bad news (im hoping that upcoming big event is good/network expansion/lte related and not bad news)

with their current “unlimited” ad campaign, its almost implausible for them to end unlimited mobile data in the near future. they would have to stop running those ads for a good amount of time (i would say 6 months+) before switching to capped or throttled data

Sprint chat 9/21/11 at 9:42pm
    Jessica: Thank you for visiting Sprint. What questions can I answer for you today?

You: Is there a data cap when using the hotspot feature if I get while in the Sprint Network…or are there plans for a data cap?

Jessica: I would be happy to assist you with Mobile HotSpot features.

Jessica: Let’s move this chat and make it a window of its own. It will be out of the way and I can stay with you in case you have any questions or any concerns. Just click on the “Yes” button below and we can continue.

Jessica: Thank you for moving the chat. Just to check, are you currently a Sprint customer?

You: Yes, and currently using the Evo 3D

Jessica: Thank you, No there is no data cap to the Mobile HotSpot feature.

You: I just read online there will be starting Oct. 2nd. Is that true

Jessica: There is no talk of this change.

I give Sprint 2 years before applying for Chapter 7

Ah, the old Sprint rears it’s ugly head with either ill informed csr’s and/or misinformation.

Wait you can do this for free if your rooted? Can someone please share a link? I will break down and root if it means free hotspot!

• If a data cap on the Hotspot sees the light of day, I will root. I use PDANet also, but the Hotspot is often both more convenient and extends itself to devices that PDANet can not.

U must b really new to this site, or ur great with sarcasm ;-). Go to categories above & click on ROOT. You’ll find what you want fairly easy.

That’s a bot. I talked to the same “Jessica.” Notice how long it took for “her” to reply to you each time?

T Mobile and the HTC Sensation are looking better and better. Good roms running at 1.5+ clocking better 4g coverage and bandwidth for me. And most importantly my 3g coverage for my View sucks and Sprint was rude to me about dropping contract on it even in lieu fee increases. I would rather take a $200 contract hit on my View and a $80 hit on my Evo than be be treated rudely and get poor service. The repeater Sprint gave me drops more calls than a one bar signal I get without it. I have been with Sprint/Nextel 13 years but being loyal to a company today is as comical and stupid as them only caring about next months profits. And the Sensation is one bad ass phone! The monthly bill is close even with legal WiFi hot spot for the data I use. My Evo will work as a great WiFi house phone along with my Hero. I will still visit G&E but not to brag about my Sensation:)

Is this why Sprint increased the ETF to $350.00, in anticipation of people leaving because of the hotspot data cap?

You know things are going to get much worse when LTE is implemented on their network.

Sprint is going downhill fast.

There is really no big mystery about all this. When any kind of business starts buying and or expanding guess who gets stuck with the bill? After all this is… “for your embetterment,” right?

Look at the link in the top of the story, where it says”other methods” :)

Sprint can’t get 4G right for years, even though they charge a $10 surcharge for it. LTE implementation will most likely be a disaster.

Only reason I’m with Sprint is because they jave true unlimited data usage if they cap it this means every major carrier as a cap thus meaning ill just go back to my lap top and a pre paid phone

After the 4G Fiasco, who can believe anything Sprint says or promises anymore?
    Oh, I can think of someone LOL!

Well put Rog, you are a good American consumer. I don’t want to hold Sprint over a barrel, but when they pull this kind of crap, you have to make some changes to the way you have respected them.

That’s not sound logic to me. Rooted users access this for free either way, so why would Sprint punish the people paying for it legitimately? It doesn’t affect the rooters, and they certainly don’t care. So take the remaining people who support the feature with their wallet, and slam down a new restriction on them? All Sprint will accomplish is a mass exodus of the people who paid for the hotspot to root and get it for free, simply because they need it to be unlimited.

So does wifi-tether with a rooted phone look like the phone is using the data or a hotspot? I feel like my $10 surcharge covers my tethering since I have NO enhanced data to use. Sheesh Sprint, you are killing yourself! Quick, have Google buy you!

My point was just that Sprint knows users are accessing this feature for free and while it’s unfair to punish the people who pay for the service its a way to recoup fees that are lost from others that don’t pay. I agree that there just isn’t much logic involved with the change except more money in their pocket.

What is this PDAnet, and why has this not been covered on G&E???

ok, so I looked up (and downloaded unfortunately) Pdanet for tablets and uhhhh… I see why you haven’t mentioned it. That bad boy is about as stable as a mobile meth lab.

well intentioned, but horribly impractical. Hope they get it working before Sprint sticks their “mandatory charity” cup in our faces yet again.

Lol I love the mobile meth lab comparison. I’m in Philly for a doctors app and I’m on 4g but it used to work better indoors. I live in Atlantic City and there is no 4g with any company unless you count hspa+ but i usually use 4g when I’m in Philly and the service has gotten worse. I love the evo line and don’t want to go to verizon but I’m tired of having unlimited data I can’t really use. I might be making a switch to verizon in a few months of they roll out 4g to my area. Does anyone know what the corp 4g widget does?

I’m on wifi nearly 95% of the time. I rooted my phone about 4 weeks ago to get the free hotspot feature. It was the only reason I rooted. I’ve looked at my phone bills since June 2010 and I don’t think I have ever used over a gig if that. So I don’t think it will affect me much personally. As soon as there were rumors of “iphone” coming to Sprint, I knew the “jig” was up. They are almost certainly doing this in advance of the iphone coming to sprint so they can dismay any att/verizon heavy data users from coming to sprint. Hope it works. All you ever heard about was how bad att sucked after they got the iphone. All I know is the carrot better be better than the stick when they finally give it to us. As for phone rates, I still think sprint has the best prices.

So by the iPhone 5 coming to Sprint, the existing customers have to be subjugated to the restrictions and negative changes this brings?
    Well, if it Benefits Sprint, and makes them Stronger, I’m all for these changes. We have to stand behind the company that has stood, and stands behind us.
    Come on People, let us Praise these changes, and let us embrace the iPhone, as it will only make Sprint Stronger, and Benefit us all!
    Yeah, right! If anyone believes what I just said, I think I know who that would be LOL!

iPhoney’s coming to Sprint means you should probably bend over Now to comfortable with the idea.

One reason for this probably happening is the FCC’s Net Neutrality rules go into effect in November. Sprint denies ever throttling data, but I’ve tracked my phone as modem (motorola razr) and hotspot (evo) data speeds/uses and it sure looks like they do.

with all the changes going on in sprint, mainly this and the removal of the annual upgrade, I’m starting to regret my decision to have moved to sprint. Its not far off that we will get tiered data structure and when that happens sprint will officially be the worst network to be in. They are matching the competition in policy and eliminating all the things that made their crappy network stand out. Their 3g sucks so bad its only good for syncing 4g is wimax which is fine until the go LTE then your 4g wimax phone is pointless. After my contract is up I think I’m moving my family plan to Verizon.

• I have been asking on the Sprint community bulletin boards, the question I asked them was : (http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/341740#341740)
    Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?
    And the answer I got from a sprint employee was:
    ——
    The Mobile Hotspot changes to the 5GB limit are effective 10/2/11.

Beginning 11/1/11 Mobile Broadband data allowances across the board are going to pull from the same “bucket” of data, regardless if it is 3G or 4G usage. This includes the Mobile Broadband card/routers like the USB cards and the MiFi/Overdrive devices. Existing customers will be notified via bill messages or postcards being sent in October and November to provide a 30 day notice and the change will take effect on the first day of their next billing cycle after the notice is sent.

So in the end ALL mobile broadband services will be pulling from a bucket of data allowance monthly, no matter what type of device is connecting (USB broadband card, MiFi, Overdrive, embedded chip like in a Netbook). The only exception is on-phone usage, like within the web browser on the phone, Facebook, etc. type applications.
    ——
    I am still waiting to hear back exactly how big this “bucket” of data is AND if it i get the same 5gb of data cap on my $59.99 Connection Card Data Plan as i pay for the $29.99 Mobile Hotspot on my Evo, why the heck should I keep my $59.99 Connection Card Data Plan…