HacksStreakSmart

DJ_Steve releases StreakDroid 2.4 beta for the Dell Streak 5

ImagesLast night DJ_Steve announced the release of GingerStreak 2.4 beta, a new custom ROM for the Dell Steak 5 running atop Android 2.3.3. This marks the return of the legendary custom software maker since GingerStreak 2.0 was released back in May. Fards is also back on board after a break from development on the most recent version 2.3.

GingerStreak 2.4 uses the same kernel fards has been using since beta 2, along with some memory and performance tweaks from Steve. Because it's running the same kernel, we still have the impeccable battery life that began with GingerStreak 2.3. Since I've flashed it, it's been nearly  23 hours and I still have 45% battery left! Obviously more time will be needed before I can do a full review, but we should have a full video rundown and some performance tests soon.

Once again the new build requires an all new AMSS and DSP to be flashed. This corrects a known issue regarding the baseband showing as "unknown." As always after flashing, a factory reset is recommended, especially if you are plagued with reboots or force closes.

Download: AMSS | DSP | GingerStreak 2.4 beta
Donate to DJ_Steve:  GBP | USD

[MoDaCo] Thanks, mike!

Jon Jones

Jon Jones is a former contributing editor at StreakSmart, which was merged into Pocketables in 2012.

28 thoughts on “DJ_Steve releases StreakDroid 2.4 beta for the Dell Streak 5

• Umm! I wish to have some details how to revert those memory tweaks… My phone is buggy after that. Love 2.3 beta2 except this.

You can’t just revert them. My suggestion would be to go back to beta 2 if you had more luck with that one.

• Is there anybody to hand over a detail description? I’m lost but very interested to check this out!
    Please help….

You may want to hold off. Steves ROMs are always unstable. I went 8+ months trying each and every revision of his ROMs and HATED the phone/tablet.

If you want to enjoy your phone/table, you may want to look into some of the “simple”r ROMs that work. Once I made the switch, I realized how fantastic the Dell Streak 5 can be.

• I mean I has this issues in beta 2. Didn’t tried 2.4 yet. Will check for any bugs. I only had stable version on Simple Streak 1.2 beta 4.

• As I’ve read – there may be problems and may be not. If you’ll face ’em – I also advice you to go to the Simple Streak.

To dam hard to do for novice like me!!!

• If I install this rom will I be able to get rid of it wen I have problems? I have geek squad black tie protection and I know they won’t fix it with a rom like this on it.

• I’ve been running 1.9.0 forever because I didn’t want to go through the hassle and I was playing a game that couldn’t be transferred. I finally had some free time at work and I’m over the game so I dumped 2.4 on my Streak yesterday. Aside from a very occassional hang (which comes back eventually) and a reboot or two, I’ve had super luck so far. It’s running fast, smooth, and bug free. Thanks Steve!

Great work no bugs so far, very happy with the rom. Thank you dj steve.

• does anyone know how to change the lcd density and keep it that way even after reboot? Thanks in advance!

• I just flashed it and i have to say very very impressive… i think this is one of steve’s best ROM. guys don’t forget to do a FACTORY RESET from Dell’s Recovery. i did the factory reset from clockwork and the first boot took very long and then lots of force closes. once i did a factory reset from dell recovery, it works like a charm.

Matt! I found your guide really helpful, but just enough to get me into trouble, having a really hard time figuring it out. i’m on win 7 x64, i did all the fancy certificate installs and whatnot, but fastboot just flashes a super quick command window and nothing happens….

in your guide you put:
    “Load into Fastboot Mode
    Flash AMS and DSP1 from the OP”

I can’t figure it out… i can get the phone into fastboot mode easy enough, but i’m missing a step… something to push the pkg to the phone… what is it? anyone?

• Are you supposed to flash the amss and the dsp1 first then the ROM or the ROM first? I’m on streakdroid 1.9.1 right now and i am not able to flash the amss or dsp1, the command prompt is stuck on “waiting for device” even though I have the correct drivers. Any help?

• hey all

the only bug i can see with the software is that the side buttons keep flashing

is ther a fix for this??

Can someone help me. And tell me.how to flashboot amss/dsp1 please. Is there a way to simply this?

• My gps app still not updating real time since gs2.3 upgrade. Anyone has this problem or solution? Pls help. Ths

Seriously? Follow the instructions. because you didnt.

Stop making this a soap box to promote simple streak

GPS is not working on that build. Go to the link provided and downloaded the latest version 2.4.3 and flash that WITH a factory reset

• Thanks Jon Jones. It worked great now..cheers

Hey guys my streak is rebooting itself several times when I installed gingerstreak 2.4.4.

Could there be a way around it. or there something I’m missing. I sure i followed the instructions properly.

And yes one more thing. MY phone is registered to Canadian towers. so HSPA is not an option on the MOD.. is there a way to fix this. Need the help

• Sivas, 2.4.4 seems to force reset quite a lot, (fast reboot) it does come back pretty quick, but it’s annoying.

It also force resets after installing most market apps, I think it’s a memory issue, rather than just flushing user apps from memory I suspect it’s flushing required system apps too which causes the force reboot when memory is low (just guessing here)

Maybe using a different kernel will help, I just switched to CM7 and it’s a lot more stable, but GS has a better battery life. just a shame about the constant force resets.

For anyone that wishes to argue about “not doing it right” I’ve been on CM7 for about 2 or 3 weeks and only had one force reset, GS I had for about 2 months and I lost count of the resets, several a day at times.

the above links are not working. Any body please upload it again