FeaturesGood and EVO

HTC EVO 4G vs HTC EVO 3D vs iPhone 4S

Iphone-showdown

Unless you've been living under a rock lately, you know that the iPhone 4S is coming soon to Sprint, with preorders starting tomorrow (Friday). But how does this device stack up with our two favorite phones, the HTC EVO 4G and the EVO 3D?

Take a look and find out.

This chart is current as of 10/06/2011.

Iphonechart

In this chart (which you can enlarge by clicking on it), I've taken the liberty of highlighting which device wins in specific categories. So, for example, you can see that the EVO 4G clearly wins in terms of pricing, which is understandable since it is over a year old. On the other hand, the iPhone 4S wins in terms of on-board included storage space (up to 64GB), size (it's a bit more "pocketable" than either EVO), weight, and included accessories (earphones).

The EVO 3D wins in terms of processing speed, RAM, and color selection. Apple hasn't announced the battery capacity of the iPhone 4S yet, but we expect it will most likely be the same as the iPhone 4, 1420 mAH. However, even if Apple ups the ante and provides a battery capacity on par with the EVO 3D, the EVO will still come out ahead due to the ability to remove the battery and upgrade to a higher capacity.

Both the EVO 4G and EVO 3D also win in terms of storage expansion (the iPhone doesn't have this), 4G capabilities, included FM radios, Flash support, and a wider range of compatibility due to their micro USB ports.

Some categories come down to personal preference, and so winners couldn't be determined. For example, while I obviously lean towards Android as my operating system of choice, others prefer iOS. Some people care more about 3D-capable cameras than megapixels. The same goes for video recording (720p 3D vs 1080p 2D). Additionally, even though both EVO screens are bigger, and the EVO 3D supports 3D playback, the iPhone's resolution is higher.

When it comes down to it, the HTC EVO 4G and EVO 3D both won a combined total of eleven categories (the EVO 3D itself won nine), while the iPhone 4S only won six.

But that shouldn't really come as any surprise, right?

John F

78 thoughts on “HTC EVO 4G vs HTC EVO 3D vs iPhone 4S

The iphone 4s does have a Front camera with VGA resolution lol.

• The iphone could be red on “in the box” with the inclusion of earbuds, as the microsd really does fall under expansion.

As for the battery, mAH is not the only factor. The specs on the 4s has a longer talk time, so might that be another line?

Also missing: 3D enabled display and NFC.

Perhaps a green/white/red scheme for obviously better/no clear winner/obviously inferior to have a better at-a-glance comparison?

• Nice article!
    How about the ability to Root, and all the Development available for the rooted and unrooted versions of each device?
    Not only is it an advantage to install a higher capacity battery, but it is the right of every owner to be able to carry and install spare batteries, especially when you are not around any ‘holes, ‘ which would include needing to carry around a charger with you.

• iPhone does not support Flash player lol

• Yes, I know that. My chart got messed up in the resizing/editing process (it was there correctly the first time, trust me!). Working on getting it fixed and uploaded now…

• Good point on the earbuds. I didn’t think of it that way, but you’re right – the iPhone should win that category. I updated the post with this.

Ok .ok , do we really have to compare our phones , my phone is almost 1year and 4 months old , and goes far beyond my wildest dreams Sprint finally has a winner , now just a stupid question .SPRINT AND COMPANY ARE YOU GUYS GOING TO MESS THIS IS UP , I’VE BEEN WITH YOU GUYS 12 YRS I KNOW IT’S BURNING YOU GUYS ON THE INSIDE OUT , THIS EVO IS THE BEST PHONE WE GOT, THE IPHONE PEOPLE NEVER EVER WANTED TO COME TO SPRINT, AND WE DIDN’T WANT THE IPHONE , OR APPLE STUFF , AND I BET YOU GUYS PLAN ON SCREWING EVERY ONE BC OF THIS STUPID APPLE DEAL !

• Back camera: “8MP with autofocus, autofocus, LED flash, …”

Is the 2nd one supposed to be “continuous autofocus” ?

Also, with the 3D being a major selling point of the Evo 3D, lumping it into the Backcamera might be a bit unfair. (I know, it’s just a damn chart, but the concept of fairness in a comparison can be as subjective — and spin-able — as in statistics.) Nevertheless, lumping too many features together and not labeling which is better is kind of self-defeating.

Back camera 2d
    evo 4G: 8MP
    evo 3D: 5MP
    iP 4s: 8MP

Video recording
    evo 4G: 720p @ 24fps (with the right conditions :( )
    evo 3D: 720p @ 30fps
    iP 4s: 1080p @ 30fps (??)

Back camera 3d
    evo 4G: no
    evo 3D: 5MP, 720p@30fps
    iP 4s: no

NOTED SOME TYPOS …

FONT | SIZE:

Sprint says it will sell not just Apple’s new iPhone 4S, but also the older iPhone 4. It plans to keep unlimited data plans for both models.

It’s the first time Sprint Nextel Corp. gets to sell any iPhones. Apple Inc. said Tuesday that Sprint would sell the 4S model when it launches Oct. 14, but it was unclear if the carrier would also get the older model.

Sprint started taking preorders for the iPhone 4 on Thursday for $100. Today it will take orders for the $200 iPhone 4S, which has a faster processor and more memory.

Sprint is applying its standard smart-phone plans to the iPhone. They include unlimited data use. That’s something Verizon and AT&T, the other U.S. iPhone carriers, no longer offer to new subscribers.

The unlimited data/call/text-messaging plan may help the company, which has lost money for 15 consecutive quarters, draw customers from its bigger competitors, which don’t have those offers.

“Our customers can take advantage of the innovative features of the iPhone without worrying about overage charges or surprises on their bill,” said Chief Executive Officer Dan Hesse.

Adding the iPhone to its product line might slash Sprint’s quarterly operating margins almost in half as the company subsidizes the phone prices for its customers, analysts have said. Bill White, a Sprint spokesman, has said the company will discuss iPhone’s financial effect today, when the company plans to update investors on plans to roll out a 4G network.

• Not many devices on the market compare well to the Htc Evo 3D specs wise it is one of the best devices on the market today. The evo 4g is the granddaddy of all android 4g devices and the granddaddy of the Evo family of devices. It’s no surprise the iPhone 4S doesn’t compare spec wise the iPhone 4 doesn’t compare as well. So basically the evo 4g pimp slapped the iPhone 4 in June of 2010 and the Evo 3d pimp slaps the iPhone 4S here in October of 2012..

• Kickstand = winning

EVO 4G

my original evo4g is so good… I don’t even want another phone. LOL
    It’s swagged out rooted, and it does everything I need a phone to do… I have not even felt compelled to get the evo3d.

• Still rockin’ an EVO 4G since June 2010 and no desire to change phones, perhaps next fall.. we’ll see (quad-cores!) but it’s gonna have some big shoes to fill.

Anytime I get the urge to ‘upgrade’ I just flash a different ROM for a bit, but I’m mostly on AOSP ROMs for daily use – Deck or OMFGB, great battery (1900mAh) and smooth as butter.

• I personally have an EVO 3D but come on… did anyone expect the Iphone to win on an EVO website?? This type of comparison were you pick the categories will always be weighted toward the EVO(on this site).

I just pre ordered the iPhone 4S, and put my Evo 4G up on ebay.
    This will be my first iPhone! I can’t wait to get this Bad Boy!
    Thank Mr. Hesse.

Yeah, right!
    My Evo ain’t going nowhere for awhile, especially with the uncertainty regarding what Network Sprint will be using in the future!

• same here RMC…still got my OG EVO 4G..i actually accidentally damage mine a month ago and was asked if I wanted the EVO 3D for replacement and without hesitation I said hell no! (LOL) I want another EVO 4G!…

look, it’s candy for the kids ok? Leave us alone! We love to eat iphones for desert. =)

• I m going to get the iPhone 4S and I will keep my EVO just in case. A lot of us just want to see what all of the fuss is about. I am a network admin and I can honestly say without a doubt that the ipad has been one of the very best devices I have ever owned. It just works 100% of the time. My EVO 4G will randomly reboot and just in general do whacky things, but I love it. However, if the iPhone 4S is anything like the iPad, I will enjoy the new iPhone. All I need is email and internet so I am easy to please I guess.

• not knocking you either way, but iphones have same issues. i have gone through several iphone versions and eventually they “randomly” started to reboot after a year or so into the contract with them and coincidentally the apple warranty on it had just expired each time.

sorry to hear you have issues with the evo tho, i have not had any with my OG nor when i upgraded to the 3d. it is a nice phone and with the same price on sprint as other’s my wife as well wants to jump ship from her evo 4g. i myself am not interested just yet in jumping back into the cult :)

IMHO the EVO 3D is best in the camera department.

With its 10 mega pixel camera. Yup, Do the math, two 5MP cameras = 10MP in my book. ;)

• Having personally owned a iphone 3g, 3GS and Ipad prior to coming to sprint for the Evo and now Evo 3D I can say that Apple will stay ahead of the game. A phone can have the best hardware EVER but if it doesnt have great apps it won’t be as fun or successful period. I played Angry Birds a whole year before it even came to Android and sad to say Android is just behind in terms of software. You can edit video on the iphone, make music, plays and categorizes music library better, EA makes more games for it as well as gameloft. Until Android Market gets comparative apps and fine tunes its software Apple will always win….who cares if a android phone is super fast…what are you going to do load up sms faster? If I didn’t already renew my contract with Sprint for this 3D I would have opted for the Iphone.

There are a whole bunch of solutions for this. I actually think they’re more ingenious; ever seen the battery pack that the iphone fits into like a shell? Wish they had these for evos.

Except it isn’t. Where did you get this idea?

• Owning an android is like having a Bugatti with only 1/2 a mile of road to drive on. Specs aren’t everything. Apps make the phone and even if you don’t like iphone they have alot more apps. They have new games every freakin week and I’m sitting here playing Nova on my Evo when Nova 2 and infinity blade 1 & 2, GTA, and a crap ton of cool stuff go to iphone. I’ll trade this phone in any day for better apps

• You can’t compare battery capacity. It really comes down to battery life… and unfortunately iPhones win that category hands down. Not even close.

• Yeah except the EVO 3D sucks. I know, I had one for a month.

• I am wondering what I will do, I had the EVO 4G, loved it, I now have the EVO 3D and really like it, I really don’t care about the 3D, and I don’t think it should be in the comparison, as it is just a gimmick. I am a Mac guy all around, but have said for the longest time, that when it came to the phone, I like to customize it my way. I get bored easy, and am often changing the looks and set up. And for that reason, and Sprints more affordable plans I wouldn’t switch to get an iPhone. HOWEVER, being a Mac guy, owning 3 Mac computers and an iPad, having the sync between everything being Mac would be a nice bonus! So, I am a little torn. But, also being a Mac guy, I know, not to jump at the 1st version of anything, sooooo I will wait until my June upgrade, by then, hopefully, most of the kinks will be worked out on the Sprint iPhone. Because I am sure there will be!

• iPhone is going to screw us Evo users. I wonder how much longer Sprint will let us keep our unlimited data plans now that its coming on board. The Evo line rocks and unlimited data rocks too!

• I tend to agree on Evo 3d. It may be a little faster than my original EVO 4g but I still like my Evo 4g. Camera seemed to work better, but as I am typing I thinking about that battery even with the extended battery Evo 4g it seemed to drain pretty quick.

OK NOW EVO3D EXTENDED BATTERY CALLED THE BEAST! I GOT 18 HOURS ON IT THE OTHER DAY. 14 HRS YESTERDAY WHEN I PUT IT ON CHARGER IT STILL HAD 43%!!!!!!! I actually tried to drain the other day, had my son play games for about hour it lost about 20% but it still had 17% when I went to bed! Its crazy how long it last. I use my phone all day answering emails phone calls. I have everything turned on also. So as far as battery goes my EVO 3d hands down the WINNER.

I love apple I have had a Macbook pro for about 4 years and I am really leaning at going and getting the Iphone. Dont hate me.. :0) I just think Apple has better products. For those of you who love the rooted Evo if you comfortable with that I can see it being better. But I am not so Apple is for me.

• Boy I hope they dont change it ? That would really suck! I love my unlimited data. you cant tell me Iphone people use more data than us EVoer’s?

I had an IPhone, and switched to Sprint and the HTC Evo, because I live in an area where Sprint has the best Signal period. I live in Lake Havasu City, and commute between Lake Havasu and Kingman regularly. AT&T has huge dead spots and Verizon plain sucks out here.

I will most likely end up back on an IPhone, because Droids have a HUGE flaw that is very annoying. Internal and external (SD card) memory. It should just be memory….period. My phone is rooted and with the swagged out stock swag=on rom. I am CONSTANTLY running up against maxing out my internal memory. I have EVERYTHING that I can push to the SD card. Pictures, contacts and every app that will “allow” me to push it to the SD card. However, many apps cannot be moved to the SD card. Those apps cache data and eventually you run below 50MB of internal memory left and you start getting the warnings.

Then you if you get too low you stop receiving text messages. This leaves you having to ration your apps. I’ve had to uninstall apps just to free up space. Others I have to clear the data amongst a bunch of them, which clears your login info and you, have to re-login the next time. This is a very annoying process to have to continue to do.

Never had to do this on iPhone, because it’s just memory, period. Many droid users may not like the inflexibility of this, but this 8GB of internal memory is lame.

• I’m all for the Iphone coming to Sprint. It’ll bring more users to Sprint, which in turn will make Sprint more competitive in the cell phone provider business, which hopefully in turn, will allow them to give us some perks back (yearly upgrades, 30 risk free returns, etc…)

• 3d or not, I don’t think it matters. If Apple managed to improve upon the camera from the Iphone 4 in the 4s, it will completely blow the Evo3d camera out of the water. Its not even close. And I love android, I own a 3d and really really wish the camera was good, but its not.

• That’s why I suggested that the camera category really should be split up into 2d/3d categories. That way people not interested in 3d camera would see the iphone’s in red, and those interested in 3d will see that it’s highlighted for the evo3d. Would be much better than white across the board.

• If you’re rooted why not just use darktremor’s a2sd to make the phone use the sd card for its internal memory? Lots better than having to move things to sd partition all the time. BTW, while you’re at it, get a 16GB or larger microSD. The extra space is so liberating :)

• I wonder if Sprint is going to load all the same bloatware on the iPhone as they do on the EVOs. After I rooted, all that crap got deleted, along with CIQ and HTCLoggers.

i have had all iphones that came out switch to htc evo 4 g and the evo 3d taught the grass was greener on the other side but it aint lol the android phones are ok but the specs on it is overrated will buy the new iphone 4 s when it comes out.

• Same here. Original iPhone, 3GS, switched to Sprint for reception at work. Happy with OG EVO, upgraded to and then returned 3D, have had Nexus S since then. But with all the freedom and Android, I spend too much time trying to make the phone(s) work just right. I miss the polish of iOS and will be going back. The only things I’ll really miss from the old phones are 4G (rarely used due to battery) and NFC (just because it’s cool to use Google Wallet, although I rarely find a vendor that can take it).

I really feel u…. I wish I never upgraded to the 3d, i really miss my evo 4g. By the way, the iphone doesn’t even have flash????? That alone is a deal breaker to me. After 11/2 yrs. the evo 4g is still the greatest phone to me? Can anyone disagree???????????? ;-)

• I’m confident not for long. Maybe 6 more months.
    Don’t be surprised if you hear something similar to this in the near future:

“In order for Sprint to continue to offer our customers cutting edge services at the lowest prices on the industry, and to continue to be competitive in an ever competitive atmosphere, we will be changing the way we offer Data. There will be a 5GB monthly limit moving forward beginning May 1. For those customers who need to use more data, Sprint will be offering tiered data plans at competitive pricing, which will be released shortly. We continue to have parity with others in the industry, and these changes will help Sprint continue to bring you the best services in the industry, and to be able to offer competitive pricing on the new LTE network.
    Thank you for choosing Sprint as your service provider.”

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH! Don’t be surprised if Sprint comes out with this load of crap in the foreseeable future…….

• Never heard of it, but as long as my carrier and manufacturer doesn’t restrict me from carrying and installing a spare battery in my device, which is everyone except Apple, which enables me not to have to carry around a charger with me, and always have to be near an electrical outlet, I’m content. That one iPhone restriction is enough for me to tell Apple to take a flying leap. Especially when they want to charge me for installing a replacement battery. Apple gotta be crapping people. This is a cellular device, not a rechargeable razor.

• It’s pretty funny I have owned the EVO 4G and it was great I will always love the granddaddy of all android 4g devices. Definitely much better than any iPhone 4 or silly iphone 4S no doubt but the best that goes to the EVO 3D hands down. Top devices on the market today reside on sprint EVO 3D, EPIC TOUCH 4G, PHOTON 4G. Spec sheet goes to the evo 3d especially with the new htc devices on the way in the htc amaze 4g and htc Vigor people better start watching what htc is coming with next in their upcoming 4.7 to 5.0 inch screen devices. Bottomline here HTC and SPRINT rule

Well you might as well make this your last post on the site….YOUR NO LONGER WELCOME ROUND THESE PARTS !…….(as my shoutgun cocks backs)

• IAM THINKING OF GOTING THE HTC EVO’TM 4G FROM SPRINT IF SOME ONE HAS THIS PHONE IS IT A GOOD PHONE TO GOT

Excellent phone, the Evo 4G is!
    With the constant Development, I never get bored of it.
    I have 2 Evo 4G ‘a, one for a back up.
    I also have a third Evo 4G up for auction on ebay, Brand new in box, never used, in original sealed packaging. Having 2 Evos is enough for me.
    I also canceled my TEP, which I’ve had for over 11 years, in all it’s different forms.
    A heads up would be not to purchase a new device from Sprint and renew a contract. This is because the
    current devices don’t have an LTE radio. If you want to take advantage of the supposed new LTE network,
    you’ll have to buy an LTE capable device which will be available in 2012 sometime.

If you are an existing customer, and renew your contract for 2 years, you won’t be eligible for a subsidized new device for 20 months. You’re better off purchasing a used or new device privately.
    If you are a new customer, one has to make the best choice for themselves.

Excellent phone, the Evo 4G is!
    With the constant Development, I never get bored of it.
    I have 2 Evo 4G ‘a, one for a back up.

If you are a new customer, one has to make the best choice for themselves.

Please remove one of the accidental double posts.
    Thanks.

Please remove one of the accidental double posts.
    Thanks.

Some kinda glitch with 4G network. On 3G now.
    Sorry about the dupes. Please remove.
    Thanks.

• I like my Evo a lot, but the iPhone is clearly going to have a superior battery, no matter how many mAh. A lot of us Evo users have to buy extra capacity batteries to make it through the day with a good bit of use. iOS devices really do not have this problem. They last forever.

• Did you ever think that their batter last forever because it doesn’t have to do as much work as a phone with more capabilities? If the iphone could do as much it’s batter would die just as fast. it’s a battery. Apple isn’t doing anything special to the battery. They said they won’t add anything to the phone that would impede the battery’s performance.

why we cant send vidoe messages with our evo 4g

Two rear cameras – 5mp each – do the math I said.

Yes!!! I wouldn’t trade my friggin kickstand for anything and I won’t do a case because a half an inch is all my pocket is willing to accept. I literally have my screen set to NEVER TURN OFF because I love having a 4 inch portable picture frame wherever I go. Gingerbread made the battery last basically forever if the screen is off but it doesn’t even matter because I haven’t plugged my phone into a charger for 4 YEARS! (previous Samsung instinct came with 2 batteries plus charger) People that plug their phone to charge it are hilarious to me. I bought a separate charger and battery for $30 shipped to my mailbox! If you gave me $100 to trade my old school EVO 4G for a 4S I would gladly pass. Small screen, no flash, no kickstand, no sense (which I love), no 4G? Please Apple. I would rather buy American but you continue to insult me with your garbage. I can only hope my next phone, an LTEVO, will have a kickstand. KICKSTAND = WINNING

If you root and get a kernel that manages your battery more efficiently, won’t the Evo outlast the iPhone every time?

• Except again, two 5 mp cameras does not equal a 10 mp camera.
    Megapixels do not work that way. First of all the sensors cannot work together in some magical way to capture two images, and if they did it would only be two 5mp images from slightly different angles.

Simply put you are wrong.

• Good question …….

• I have the evo 4g now and i am contemplating getting the iphone 4s after reading the features it is a strong possibility, i may very well do this.

The Evo 3D is a much better phone than the iphone 4s not to mention what you can do with it once you root it (much higher speed and better battery life) and it will soon have Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich which will beat the crap out of ios 5, and I still think Android has a much better interface because it is highly customizable and it has widgets.

• got any evo 4g’s available? Thanks!

• I like to customize it my way. I get bored easy, and am often changing the looks and set up. And for that reason, and Sprints more affordable plans I wouldn’t switch to get an iPhone. HOWEVER, being a Mac guy, owning 3 Mac computers and an iPad, having the sync between everything being Mac would be a nice bonus! So, I am a little torn.

I love to see things clearly and thats what i4 gives me. My battery last for 2 days. And my internet browsing is not that bad. Only bad thing i have is that i am fu##ng using it with a gevey sim because i have accidentally upgraded it on itunes. Can anyone make an unlock for 4.3.10. Or 5. Im losing my patience and confidence here. Its not funny at all. I love this stuff but it is freakin me out.

The IPhone 4s is way better then the HTC EVO 4G & HTC EVO 3D hands down…ppl

Really?
    Better than the Evo 4G and the 3D??
    How ’bout the Samsung Epic 4G Touch or the Galaxy Nexus?
    Is the iphone 4s the Best phone ever??

• not i had a iphone and it would die very fast!

One area the android phone beats the iphone in is the open-source software. If I want to build an app for my android phone, it’s exremely easy. However, if I wanted to make one for iOS, there are a lot of hoops to jump through.

Ok im trying to figure out what phone to get i have sprint i haven’t been impressed with any of my phones through them so far but love their unlimited service. I want a great camera, choices on connectabilty an would really like to get legal free music an books like i do now easily seems none of the phones have it all oh an good battery life with lots of storage i don’t want to have to have wifi or computer to do everything either.

Im not tech savvy an have come up against this problem too constantly having to uninstall an clear cache.

• Of course a battery is a battery it gets used