AppsGood and EVOTips & Deals

Temporary Superuser v3.0.4 update fix now available [Updated]

2011-10-11_16-35-05Superuser is a very, very essential app for all rooted HTC EVO (4G or 3D) users out there. Hell, it's essential to every rooted Android phone! It tells all your other root apps that you gots root.

So what happens if a bug slips into Superuser? Well, you can't update your ROM in ROM Manager. You can't remove bloatware with Root Explorer. You can't overclock with SetCPU. You (essentially) aren't rooted.

And unfortunately, the latest version of Superuser (v3.0.4 as of this writing) has a bug in it.

If you notice a force close popping up every time you try to open a rooted app, this bug is the reason. Now, Superuser is a great app and I'm certain the bug will be fixed in no time, but until then, it kinda sucks.

But luckily, Android genius ca1ne pointed out to me today that there is a temporary fix. In Superuser, press MENU > Preferences >  Automatic Response (first option) > Allow (third option). This will allow Superuser to automatically let your root apps get the permissions they need to run.

From my experience, you may still see a force close. But everything is working like normal again.

Oh, and if you're worried about some bad app getting root permissions without having to ask, a notification will pop up whenever an app gets a permission (and Superuser tells you where it's from). So, if you see a weird app getting root permissions, then it's probably time to uninstall that weird app.

Thanks, ca1ne!

Update: The newest version of Superuser has fixed this problem.

Sam Sarsten

Sam Sarsten is a former contributing editor at Good and EVO, which was merged with Pocketables in 2012.

22 thoughts on “Temporary Superuser v3.0.4 update fix now available [Updated]

• Son of a… I noticed this app was getting updated like crazy thinking that other people must have some issues… didn’t think that the one that was supposed to fix all the FC issues would create them on mine lol :'(

I can’t get SU to open long enough to get to the workaround. SU will FC on itself.

• Actually, the app was updated a few hours ago to 3.0.5, and the force closes have been fixed.

• Ah! I spoke too soon. I am getting the same issue with Superuser force closing on itself. The update claimed to have fixed this, but I guess not… ;)

• Yep I already figured out this fix. It definitely seemed to be related to having to ask for permission. That’s what led me to it. Ddnt know this was a global issue. Thought it might be the ROM I was using

• I wish I could get SuperUser to open without FC on itself.

I just installed the original supper user app.

I uninstalled the updates for now.

Ha! And here I’ve been thinking it was a problem with the new rom (Roots 3d) I just started using.

• If you can’t get Supoeruser to open because it keeps force closing:

menus, settings, applications, manage applications, downloaded or all, find superuser, clear data, then follow the steps above

Unfortunately, doesn’t work for everyone (myself included). Flashing the original SU I had (2.6 something) is the only fix I found that’s stuck (after removing the new version updates).

No problems with SU 3.0.4 here.
    Didn’t install 3.0.5
    Don’t want to screw things up, as I see it’s not working for some.

• 3.0.4 and 3.0.5 both seemed fine to me. But it really is pretty unacceptable for such an important app to be released with so many bugs.

• Thanks for the temp solution. I was going nuts not being to use my root apps. Was trying to open SU to change settings and couldn’t even do that, but clearing data in settings solved that problem.

• Sweet Thanks! I don’t know why I didn’t think to try that. I do it for all other weird issues I experience in other apps. Allowed me to get into it and change to allow. Now I can get back into titanium backup :)

Not touching my Evo til this settles down. 3.02 running fine for me, no need to upgrade.

• Google Market told me to update Superuser again from 3.0.5 to 3.0.5, I’m not sure why. I did it as part of an update all operation on the market.

Now I’m seeing FCs every time an app requests root from Superuser. What a mess. Now they are also asking people to pay $3 for the Superuser Elite app. What a cluster. These guys are really doing poor work with 3.0 so far.

for some reason I have 2.3.6.3? Do i need to update to the newest version?

• That’s the only version I can get to work…. 3.0.5 works for awhile then goes to hell, took two tries and reboots to get back to 2.3.6.3.. Think I’ll stick with it for awhile.

• Where can I download 2.3.6.3? I can’t get into titanium backup to reinstall. Help!

I updated superuser after rooting just today, and afterwards my phone isn’t rooted, why is it doing this and how can I fix it to be rooted again without factory reset?

• there should have been a step somewhere in your rooting about download a superuser binary and flash via recovery… just do that section again.

You won’t lose anything unless something goes really really wrong…