Welcome to the latest installment of Clockwork ROM Picks, showcasing the variety of ROMs for the HTC EVO 3D that can be easily downloaded and flashed using ROM Manager by ClockworkMod. Today, I will be taking a closer look at Absurb 1.1.0a2 by the Evervolv Project, listed in ROM Manager under developer Clark44.
It should be noted that this ROM is currently based off software version 2.08.651.2, which is not the latest OTA. However, Absurb 1.1.0a2 still includes all the benefits of the most recent “official” software version for the EVO 3D, most notably the removal of HTC Loggers.
As you can see from the screenshots, there are quite a few enhancements to the “stock Sense” experience, including some nice new fonts and theming.
Basic ROM Info
- 3D and 4G are working
- Dalvik cache set to 48MB
- Superuser 3.0 included
- Option to enable 3D homescreen with tilt effects
- Evervolv font added
- Faster bitrate in camera for smoother recording
- No MMS compression
- Option to backup SMS in the messaging app
- Added 4-in-1 reboot mod to power options
- Battery percentage in status bar
- Overclock controller included
- ROM Manager, new(er) Market, Google Maps, Gmail, and Google Talk with video included
- GPS-lock speed fix
- All # (pound) codes enabled in EPST
- Ad remover included
- Unlimited browser tabs enabled
- Unlocked hotspot
- Panorama, HDR, and burst options enabled in the camera
- WiFi interval increased to 40
- 1X and 3G display correctly
- USB debugging icon hidden when not in use
- TV out added
- Beats Audio and Dolby Audio effects included
- Hot reboots will freeze the phone and require a battery pull to get back up and running.
- While the GPS is locking, it will display the battery charging icon until it is locked.
The developer has noted that you definitely need to wipe all of your data before flashing (ROM Manager can help you with this).
There are also few add-ons, available here, in case you’d like to return to the stock font, or if you want to remove the HTC Sense lockscreen (as shown above). Overall, however, this ROM seems to offer quite a few nice enhancements in and of itself, and it’s a very worthy pick if you are most comfortable using ROM Manager to experiment with new ROMs.