On my HTC EVO 4G, I loved Amon Ra recovery in a rather unhealthy and obsessive fashion. It worked and it cleared the caches correctly, which is something ClockworkMod never seemed to achieve for me (my kingdom for an empty dalvik cache).
Sadly, Amon Ra for the EVO never got updated after February 2011. I mean, I guess if it works there's no reason to go around changing everything, but it was lacking in a few developer features and it needed some updating.
Fortunately, a dev named Drellisdee has come forth and released a recovery based on the Amon Ra source code (isn't open source great?) with a bunch of new features and additions that should make development for the EVO 4G more palatable.
While there are a ton of new features you can read about on the developer page, some of the highlights include:
- Restore Nandroid backups made with ClockworkMod or Amon Ra
- Both types of scripting are supported (Edify and Amend)
- ADB as a root user
- Dalvik cache cleaner will find it even if it's been moved
- Ability to partition SD card to EXT2, EXT3, and EXT4
- Repair SD card (anyone have a report on this working or not?)
- Capacitive buttons work (although you still select with power button)
- Developer menu with options to backup kernel, install superuser, engineering superuser
As of this writing, there are no reported bugs, but your buggage may vary.
Although the developer has a download link to the recovery image, should you just want to install via standard the standard bootloader PC36IMG.ZIP method, another user has made that available later in the thread (or linked down below).