AppsGood and EVO

Skyvi may be a better alternative to Siri than Iris

Ss-480-0-1[1]Last month we checked out Iris, an Android-based Siri alternative that seems to make up several of the answers, but otherwise functions in a similar way. Unfortunately, getting useful information from Iris has been next to impossible for me. Skyvi, on the other hand, is leaps and bounds further along the developmental road at the moment, with Twitter and Facebook integration and an ability to answer most questions I threw at it.

Here are my last few Skyvi questions/requests and answers:

• How far is Mars? 1.441AU
  • Where is the best Chinese food in Nashville? (it gave me several addresses)
  • Tweet that I love my wife. Twitter shows "that I love my wife"
  • What is the capital of Kansas? Topeka
  • Where am I right now? Nashville, Tennessee
  • How long is Route 66? 60 minutes (it gave the TV show's length)

I've had some issues with a few questions, such as asking for a decent lasagna recipe, and there seems to be a lack of maps or navigation ability, but as a work-in-progress I'd say this is at about two-thirds of what it needs to be to compete with Siri in a very, very short development time.

Img[1]When it doesn't know the answer it tends to get a bit sassy with you, which I believe the developers call "personality." It can't set an alarm on the phone or speak to you either; however, I actually consider that an improvement over Siri and Iris's voices.

The Facebook integration is pretty neat. You can say "read my Facebook" and see a live stream; you're then able to comment on people's posts by speaking. Unfortunately, the speech recognizer sometimes flubs what you want and there's no "delete comment" evident. But you can say something like "read Bob Bob's Facebook" and it will pull up posts only by him, which is quite useful.

All in all it's a fairly nifty little app so far, and until Siri is released in one form or another on Android, if you've got to have it, then I think Skyvi is probably your best free bet.

Links: Market (EVO) | Market (web)

Paul E King

27 thoughts on “Skyvi may be a better alternative to Siri than Iris

You may also want to check out Speaktoit Assistant. Not bad in comparison.

• I haven’t tried this, but of the ones I have tried I like speaktoit assistant the best. I actually had a funny incident with it the other night. I saw the Siri commercial where the little girl asks what a weasel looks like, so I decided to ask speaktoit, it opened google images, and the first image was Pauly Shore, followed but multiple pictures of real weasels. Speaktoit gives some funny answers and also provides very useful info such as weather, directions, local places to eat, movie times, etc. The only thing that doesn’t work to my liking is having it access messaging. If you are using the stock messenger, like I am, it says you do not have a messaging program loaded to send or read texts from. But it asks if you would like it to open the market and find you one. I recommend it highly.

What about Vllingo? I understand that it doesn’t answer questions, but as a voice-text application, it’s awesome!

Vlingo will answer questions and speak back to you.

• I’ve been playing with Speaktoit and have found similar results as Chris said in his post. Looking forward to trying Skyvi. One of the writers from G&E will need to do a comparison soon.

• I agree – I have been using speaktoit assistant and it’s really good.
    It can set alarms too but not reminders or calendar entries.

• Speaktoit is better this can’t even tell me the weather all it says is rain…I’m in Vegas no rain here.

• Speaktoit is better this can’t even give me the weather all it says is rain…I’m in Vegas no rain!Nice UI but needs work.

I have and love speaktoit. Someone said you can’t add calendar entries and I have. And texting mine opens handcent. We just want it to be able to pop up a notification or make a sound when you say remind me in five minutes or at so and so time. But it’s my favorite new app. And I’ll stick to it. He knows my name. LOL!

What’s wrong with Vlingo?

Siri isn’t just about answering questions. It’s a natural language processor so it knows more what you mean even though you worded it a little strangely. The rest is just the usual applications to voice commands. There is no good alternative to the natural language processing that’s found in Siri yet. And this is why I wish Android-related sites like this would quit running stories about supposed Siri alternatives, because it’s just embarrassing. If Siri was nothing but dictated speech sent into a search engine and read back (which is what all these other apps are, including Vlingo), it wouldn’t be as big of a deal as it is.

Use Vlingo and be happy if you want to ask it trivia, but don’t compare apples to oranges.

I tried Edwin and it seems pretty good answered the meaning of life. 42 by the way.

@Paul King: Do you live in Nashville? Just wondering because I live in Clarksville.

• Hrmm, debating on answering yes to someone who’s handle backwards is “murder” ;)

It is just an old(since the mid 1990’s) handle I use. Don’t worry I am not going to stalk you or anything:) It is cool to know that your are in the TN area. I still have the OG EVO4g.

• TypePad HTML Email
    I have a 3D connected, an OG I run various roms on / use GrooveiP to make /recv calls, and my wife has an oG as well..Yup, 1 GE writer in TN, others are elsewhere

I have yet to root my Evo(I did with my old pre-windows phone), though I might if they do a rom with ICS. My wife has a lame Iphone 4s.

• TypePad HTML Email
    FYI theres an ICS build going on at the moment on the 4G – saw a preview of it, its terrible at the moment, but its only a few days old / I wouldnt expect it to be even booting yet.  The fact that it does is still quite amazing…I will def post links when a working ICS comes out… that think will be on my 4G 12 seconds after downloaded.

• I’m also in Nashville and G&E has been one of my daily readers for over a year now. It’s been nice to have more writers involved with G&E and especially nice to now know a local is involved. I’m still loving my rooted EVO 4G and will also be looking forward to an ICS ROM release.

• The reason we compare apples to oranges is because without the comparison there’s no differentiation.

Siri, as far as I can tell, is somewhat better than these programs. After playing with it for a while I found it ok, not particularly great. The natural language part was not evident to me as it kept screwing everything I said or asked up. As such I found it fairly useless, it was not natural language for me, it was teaching me ways to rephrase my questions so that it would understand.

As Siri is the only heavily advertised upgrade to the new iPhone, it’s only natural to focus on the Android work that’s going in to mimic (Iris), adapt (the hacks that allow windows, macs to send to Siri servers), or beat it.

It’s also nice to give the developers some recognition early on during initial programming phase so they don’t get completely discouraged tackling such a huge product.

As for what’s wrong with Vlingo, I’ll cover that some other time. I got to jet

Try out Jeannie formerly known as Voice Commands. It has been out since before SIRI and iJoke 4S works better than SIRI and also runs on Nuance same as SIRI. super smart and integrates with your net maps sms etc… It is in the Market

• Today I played with Skyvi and I must say that it’s great peace of software. Will compare it side by side with Siri sometime soon but it feels like this Skyvi is capable of doing crazy things out of box and fast updates could surpass Siri sometime soon

• TypePad HTML Email
    Might also want to check out EVI – I haven’t written about it as their launch week was less than perfect (servers became overloaded) – it’s almost great now.

• you think siri is a big deal? That’s just embarrassing!

• I can’t get Skyvi to do a thing! Voice recognition was beyond awful, and it’s currently stuck in a loop telling me that as soon as I finish a text tutorial, something else will be unlocked, but there are no tutorials to be found.

I had EVA which was pretty cool, and voice recognition and teaching it new words was effortless, but uninstalled it because it worked a little TOO well, and would eavesdrop from the other room, and change names and be doing things based on things it thought it heard. It would make small talk when I didn’t want to be inturrupted – stopping video playback to ask me how I was doing, or closing navigation to tell me good afternoon.

Really, all I want it something that will read my text to me, and let me reply ACCURATELY. I want to be able to say “TEXT ALEX” and have the program ask me if I wanted to text Alex, and then ask what I wanted the text to say, and then read it back to confirm, and then send it. I want to be able to teach it that Shealynn sounds like Shay-Lin and not Shee-Ah-Line. I want to be able to say; “CALL HOME” and not have it say,’updating address book’. I want it to read back texts and ask if I want to reply, and tell me who’s calling. I want it to work with my headset. So far, I’m 0 for 3.

Oh, and no, I’m from Washington State, I speak with almost no accent, so that isn’t an issue with this program.

• Hey Sharon, you’re writing on an app that we reported on 6 months ago. They did something to it a while back and killed it for everyone.

• Trying to find the best, least expensive, virtual assistant. I have a few questions:

Can Skyvi notify me (not completely read out) my incoming text messages?

How do I set up car mode?

Is there any way to set up a sleep time (a time when Skyvi will not read out incoming mail or text messages)?