StreakSmart

Dell Streak 7 is discontinued

Screen Shot 2011-12-02 at 5.47.53 PM

Well, darn! Usually Fridays are great for everyone, but it looks like me and the rest of the StreakSmart crew are going to have a dreaded weekend, as the Dell Streak 7 was quietly discontinued. This comes not even four months after the Streak 5 was discontinued, as well.

The Streak 7 started its life back in January of this year. Its birth was aided by T-Mobile, who released a 4G version as well. In fact, it was marketed as the first 4G tablet. Unfortunately, it probably succombed to the likes of the iPad or other, fiercer foes.

And with that, I'm sure I speak for all of the StreakSmart editors when I say that we'll miss the great fun that we had with the Dell Streak 7 and all its awesomeness. I hope Dell sees the stupidity in this decision and brings back both devices. But until then, goodbye to you, too, Streak 7.

[Dell] Thanks to everyone who sent this in!

Calob Horton

Calob Horton is an associate editor at Pocketables. He loves all technology, no matter which company it comes from. This unbiased view of the tech world allows him to choose the products that best fit his personal needs and tastes: a Microsoft Surface Pro, a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and a third-gen iPad.Google+ | Twitter | More posts by Calob | Subscribe to Calob's posts

53 thoughts on “Dell Streak 7 is discontinued

Calob,
    i understand being sad about this, as i am too, because i have a device that will no longer be updated i guess, but why say “… we’ll miss the great fun that we had with the Dell Streak 7”? I still plan to use mine well into the future. Will you guys not be posting any longer on this extension of the blogs?

• I sure hope Dell is working on some cool replacements behind those closed doors!

• I’ll be writing up posts on the site. And with that statement I just meant that usually, as far as devices go, the more people who have them brings awesome apps and support. Not having the option to increase the user base is probably going to have a negative impact on the people who already have one.

Don’t think we are done quite yet. ICS is still being built just waiting on more information and newer ideas.

• It sounds like you know what you are talking about in regards to these things. I purchased TWO of the Dell Streak 7’s for Christmas gifts. They just came today and I have not opened them. Should I return them?

No! They are great devices. the Dev community will continue to provide updates as they are created.

• lol!! Good.. back to news on the 5 please…Show some love to the 5′ devs putting in hardwork!!

Do you like them for their price?

Even if dell did continue supporting them for another half year, it’s extrememly unlikely for dell to push out a major update, at best small ones.

It merely says “no longer available online” not “haha no support for you” You’re likely still going to get support for the life of the warrentee.

For anyone that ALREADY owns one, this changes little/nothing to them. The big update has come and past and there’s nothing ahead, regardless of when they drop support.

There’s always the Streak 10, Insprion Duo and Latitude ST, with the latter two being completely irrelevent to this blog :)

The Streak 5 has not had any official news in nearly half a year, yet there’s still bits and pieces to report even up to now.

Sure news will be slower, but it’s nowhere near time to close up shop.

When the Streak Pro if/is released, I will be providing tidbits to streaksmart like I have for the Streak 10. Even though they’re currently only available in specific markets.

(This is my personal opinion, I am not directly affilated with streaksmart)

No, it is the best device for the money. I bet, depending on how you bought them. Want one for my daughter but I am too late.
    Peace

I Am still using my 5, and I just ordered a spare battery and a dock, looks like the dock is back ordered though. So that gets me atleast another year to wait for my first choice today, the Sony tablet “P”. Assuming it turns out to be worthwhile.
    But my daughter is now looking for something and I wanted to get her the Streak 7, probably for Christmas. Bad timing Dell.
    Peace

There is no longer any need for these devices to exist. Other manufacturers have picked up the torch. There’s the 5″ Galaxy player, the new 5″ Lenovo phone (same OEM as the Streak, incidentally), and the 5.3″ Galaxy Note. The Streak 5 is just no longer relevant. A first Gen Snapdragon/Adreno 200 is completely unacceptable in 2012.

The Streak 7 is slightly more modern, but let’s be real folks, it was never all that good, even at launch. Now it’s completely outclassed by Samsung tabs. Time to move on.

I think you’re totally missing the point. Who’s going to pay $700+ for a Galaxy Note…there’s not THAT much more functionality then the Streak 5.

Completely unacceptable? If it were a HD2 I’d be using it until 2027. It’s got the same internals (more or less) as the S5. The biggest (and only meaningful) difference is the lack of roms because of lack of source.

The galaxy player is just that, a ipod competetor, it has no phone ability.

The Lenovo LePad is basically a streak 2.

You cant at all compare the note as you can half a dozen streaks for the price of one.

The S7 wasnt good because HC didnt exist then, it might as well be a new product now with HC. Dell’s own fault for discontinuing it, it could easily compete with the nook/kindle with a minor hardware refresh.

The GN is currently $700+, the S5 was only $3-500 when it launched.

That’s like saying the kindle touch shouldnt exist because the kindle fire exists.

Tell all the HD2/G1/Desire/EVO owners that their phones are irrelevent too, they all use the same generation chips.

Perhaps comments that completely ignore the pricing of devices should be ignored.

While the DS7 is what got me started with tablets, after using it and finding out what I really want and need in a tablet, I’ve moved on to a Nook Tablet. I really didn’t use all the bells and whistles (GPS, camera,etc.) and the stuff that I did consider important (battery life, screen) the DS7 was sorely lacking.

It looks like Kindle and B&N have the low end of the market while Apple and Samsung are tackling the higher end. The Dell was reasonable when it went on sale in the $200 price range but uncompetitive at the regular $200+ price. I bought several NTs for the family and we’re very happy with the product.

Well, that is interesting, cause it was the Nook and the Fire that got us looking at the DS7 again. My daughter just wants an E reader with wifi and internet. I pushed the DS7 as being more capable at $200. But now that option is gone. Maybe she doesn’t need the extras, but if you can get them…for the price…My device lust knows no bounds.
    As far as the Samsung Note, too expensive for more of the same, Just updated. I want some new form factor. Looking at the Sony Tablet “P”
    Happy Hunting
    Peace

i just bought one too…. i bought the vizio vtab and the dell 7 (wifi). I need to return one of them now. now with this im thinking i should return the dell, what would you do?

Obviously the DS7 is a better “tablet” than the NT, but here’s the problem with the DS7 as a reader. Even with aggressive battery saving, I could barely get it to last over a few hours – not good on a Chicago to Asia flight, not even good for a trans-Atlantic hop. The Nook, as it should be, is a much better reader, with battery life easily in excess of eight hours. And the crisp screen makes reading much easier, even with smaller fonts. I think the NT will probably be a better bet for your daughter, and geeks have already found a way to sideload and root it, so you’re not limited to B&N’s limited apps selection.

Have you tried a custom ROM? I can get 8 hours of battery time for e-books easily.

I don’t know anything about the Vizio.
    If you paid $200 or less for the DS7, you got a great deal. That’s all I would spend on it.
    I, need to go do more research on the Nook and Fire.
    Peace

• Discontinued or a hardware refresh? CNET has put the question out to Dell and is waiting on an official answer. Amazon does still have them for sale.

There is a new statement from Dell posted at theverge.com
    And elsewhere I assume.
    Peace

• These items are now Buy At Your Own Risk. Support of a warranty is one thing. Fixing the inherent bugs and updating the software is a whole other thing, which Dell won’t waste their resources on. Unless you know how to install OS updates to this thing, I would move on to a non-obsolete device.

I know this forum is optimistic about Dell replacing the Streak with something new, but the hard truth is that the devices you’ve purchased are now orphaned. There will be little support if any from Dell.

If you can return them and get almost all of your money back, do that and purchase something else. The Galaxy Tab by Samsung is going strong, and there’s always (gasp!) the iPad. You may also want to look at the Amazon Fire although the reviews are all over the place and many say the Nook is a better choice.

I’m not saying that the Streak was a bad tablet. The truth is that Dell simply couldn’t sell enough of them to remain in the market.

Will there still be support? Yes, the community will still support it just like there’s a community supporting the Apple Newton or even old Studebaker cars. The question you want to ask yourself is whether you (or the people you were planning to give these to) are willing to put in the time and energy to support your Streaks.

By the way, the Streaks aren’t doorstops. They are still powerful tablet computers. But, they are powerful tablet computers that don’t have any real support. About a year ago, I told someone to buy a Palm WebOS phone because HP would take over Palm. She could get the phone for half the price of an iPhone, and HP would of course continue support. After all, they paid 2 billion dollars for Palm.

Of course, HP dropped WebOS support, and I now feel like a fool for the recommendation. However, the person who bought the device is still happy with it (although the lack of support is beginning to bite). So, the Streaks will still be useful even if you decide not to return them.

If you had them for a month, and were upset because you jus bought them and couldn’t return them, I would say not to worry. But, you’re in the unusual position where you could probably get your money back for them. So, why not?

• For 299 you can get a refurbished iPad (first gen, http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB292LL/A).

I wouldn’t bother with a device which was killed off a few months after release — there will be no support, no updates, bugfixes, etc.

Don’t worry guys, one of the Streak 8, Streak 6, or Streak 11 is sure to be a winner. Because clearly it’s not having found the exact perfect screen size that’s holding it back from massive success.

This generation of Streak tablets just doesn’t stack up well against the current competition from other Android OEM’s. too many comparative shortcomings – poor battery life is a fatal flaw. and now with prices dropping like a rock thanks to Amazon and a new Ice Cream Android generation coming to market, there is no hope for these Streaks. what Dell did was inevitable.

real question is whether Dell will bring out a new generation of Streak tabs with ICS or not for the consumer market next year, or give up entirely and focus on enterprise tablets.

• Here’s how to tell when to use “me” or “I”: take the other people out of the sentence. If you sound like you live on Bizarro world, you should be using “I” instead of “me”. If you sound like a Rastafarian you should be using “me” instead of “I”. In your case, “it looks like me are going to have a dreaded weekend” is definitely Bizarro-speak so you should have used “I”. Professional bloggers (or amateurs who want to be taken seriously) should know this simple rule.

• Whether it is the hour long insanity workout review , or the 10
      minute a day 10 Minute Trainer you will see the results you desire.
      How much do you know about insanity workout review
      now. Stick to her on Twitter @Audrey – Braden or more information on Insanity 60-Day Complete Body Conditioning System DVD check out her site.

• Return them to Dell for a full refund. A computer (or tablet) needs software updates to remain current and fix any security vulnerabilities that crop up.

Then do the sensible thing and buy an iPad. iPad software updates come out regularly. All iPad owners can get the update the day it comes out from Apple. To get an Android tablet update, first Google releases the update, then your tablet manufacturer will likely never make it available for your actual device (as in the case of the Dell Streak).

Everyone is trying to tell the story of the burgeoning tablet market. There is no tablet market – only an iPad market. Apple has sold around 30 million iPads – not sitting on shelves but sold to customers. They are all basically the same, all can be instantly updated to the latest OS and all of the Apps run on all of them. All of the other manufacturers of tablets, that all run different versions of different OS’es – be it Android, WebOS, Windows7, Blackberry, whatever – all of those COMBINED have sold less than 1 million. And all of those tablets are different form factors with different hardware specifications. So what that means as an end user is – when it comes time to buy an App – you will be lucky if it is available on your OS. Then if it is, you will be lucky if your OS has been updated to the latest version by your device manufacturer (i.e. if you have an Android tablet, did Dell or HP or Motorola install Gingerbread, or Honeycomb, or Ice Cream Sandwich? You don’t know? You better find out because that will tell you if you can install that app). Then depending on the resolution of your tablets screen or what video card it came with, the app may or may not work right. Should the average consumer have to know this or deal with this? No! But the geeks who love that stuff will still tell you to buy an Android ABC-123-Super-Whatever without explaining all of that BS you will be forced to deal with! The developers who write the Apps know this. They write an App to target a single device – the iPad – and it will work perfectly for 30 million people. It is a virtuous cycle that Android and the others do not have. Trust me – tablets are about apps – not whether you have an external USB or 1024MBRam or whatever. None of the specs matter. Apps (and how well those apps run) matter.

Apps are what make a tablet better than a laptop or netbook. The iPad has boatloads more amazing apps than Android. Hands down not even close. Animoog and GarageBand for music creation are both astonishing. iWork for spreadsheet, word processing, presentation are amazing apps and Microsoft has announced Office for iPad. The Education apps for kids are incredible. Nintendo is in trouble because the iPad has so many amazing games that cost 99 cents. Developers make apps for iPad first, then decide later if it is feasible to do an Android version.

If you hate Apple, so be it. If that is the case, wait. Wait for Microsoft to release Windows8 and get a tablet at that time. Based on how good their Windows 7 phones are, and having seen the Win8 preview – it is going to be very good. And Microsoft has learned the lessons of Android, and will not allow the kind of fragmentation that has made Andoid so awful for end users and developers alike. Microsoft will be the first real iPad competitor. Android will be relegated to a distant 3rd place at that point.

Like most kids, your daughter probably would prefer (and benefit more) from an iPod Touch or iPad. Why would you buy her a cheap, discontinued product that few people want?

• I bought the S7 on a Black Friday sale for $250.00 with accidental. I may cancel the accidental if I can but am planning on keeping the S7 so far. I have an S5 as well and it has been almost 4 months since Dell EOL’d it and I have not had any issues at all despite the lack of support but can’t we all admit that Dell was never good with the support to begin with? I would rather like to have Gingerbread but alas not every company can continue to support phones/devices and therefore it forces you to ultimately get a new device as such and is how the market works, period.

Well to each their own, but I would not knock the S7 off the wall just yet. So far I am really enjoying HC 3.2.

My ONLY gripe is that Hulu Plus is not available on it and that the Android market will continue to phase out devices so it is not just lack of support from Dell.

• Fiercer foes than the iPad? Name one, please…

• The whole “iOS has more apps” is only half of the story. It also has very good apps, where people want to invest serious money, not just the 99 cents for another game. If MS gets that one right, finds an audience that wants to pay for apps, they will crack the market and compete with Apple. They should stay out of the “I don’t want to spend money” crowd that loves Android. In the end no one will make money, unless…. you earn your money on something else: Amazon. That will be the biggest android hit and probably wipe out everything else in the android market,.

That’s all rather shortsighted.

First are updates, what happens when the ipad 1’s support finally ends and your app is updated to +.1? You have no choice but to not update or to buy a new device. Your device stuck on 4.2.1, 5.x.whatever? Buy a new device.

2.3 and 3.2 confusing you? What about 3.1.3 or 5.0.1? If pressing “settings” -> “status/about phone/version” in your native language confuses you, you have no place near a smartphone. This is what “check for updates” is for.

Apple updates by intentionally removing features, what does siri do? It converts your voice to text, and plays but the server’s response. The 3gs can easily do that, much less the 4. The S in 4S stands for Siri. Unless your device is the newest, your updates are in name only. How many things got turned off for the 3gs in IOS5? What are the odds the ipad1 will have stuff turned off in IOS6?

All the most popular android devices get custom rom support, if you’re on IOS you get nothing but what apple gives you. Want ios 7 on your 3gs? too bad. Want CM14 on your Galaxy S? Open up rom manager. Dont have custom roms? You didnt do your homework. Dont want to fiddle with it? Press ‘check for updates’ on either side of the fence.

Want to write an app? What generation device, what os? What os family? You cant write a ‘one size fits all’ GAME for any platform. Make game that pushes the 4s and run it on the 3gs, enjoy slideshow. Write a game that works on the 3gs/4/4s/ipad/ipad2, wait is this ios or android now? Non games dont ask for much, and run on everything on every platform. (Excluding flash)

Flash, doesnt run at all on IOS, doesnt run on android <2.2. Pretty much every device that CAN run 2.2 well already has 2.2. Doesnt change the fact that flash isnt just video. How many non video flash sites are migrating over to HTML5? Flash isnt going away any time soon.

Why isnt iWork on android? Why cant you install osx on a pc? What is this thing called Quickoffice? Where are the media players? What if itunes doesnt like your media? Do you need to sit and wait for it to convert? Oh install vlc, winamp, doubletwist, whatever media player you like. The media part of 'media consumption' isnt just apps, it isnt just games either.

Sure iOS has more games, but how many more big ones? Each side has their own set of exclusives (and how long until they get ports to eachother?)
    Quantity isnt quality, Nintendo isnt failing because of apple, Nintendo is trying to sink their own ship making a new model every year in a market that gets a new model every 3+ years.

Want your choice of 5/7/8.9/10.1"? Take your pick, want to be either 9.8 or nothing? Screw choice. Every tab with Android 3.x are pretty much identical internally. Blame the manus taking their time, the internal hardware is all the same. When apple launches a 7" or so ipad, watch it be "magical" and "innovative" because it did it first.

Want to make bad comparisons? Nokia vs rest of phone market. Win 7 tabs vs win7. Win 7 tabs dont exist because win7 isnt a tab os, it merely has more support. I wouldnt be surprised if win7 has sold more then every ipad combined. Comparing win7 tabs is like comparing nokias. Want a fairer comparison? Use win 7 convertables and AIWs and media pcs, then the numbers look a lot different. Win8 is the first windows ment to work on a pure tablet.

What's the difference from buying a new phone or tablet every year? If you're on contract you're paying full as 1 year contracts arnt exactly common. You upgrade 3 times for android for the cost of every 2 iDevices, unlocked vs unlocked, high end vs high end. If it's a tablet android ones drop in price 2-3x as fast, is your (lack of) patience really worth that much money? Suddenly pretty much every point here is irrelevent. How many people in those long lines are upgrading from the immediate previous generation? Why cant android play the exact same game?

tl;dr Android: Right device = updates forever
    Wrong device = updates whenever

iOS: Enjoy your updates, we turned stuff off because we felt like it

• Specs are irrelevant for the majority of buyers looking for a * pad-ish device. OS matters and the availability of apps.

Keep in mind the prices, android tabs drop in price very fast.

Many 10.1″ tabs are entering their second generation now, less then a year before the first one came out.

If ipads rolled out at 5 versions every 2 or so years their prices would drop just as quickly.

thanks Calob (and Themanii) really appreciate this and all of Jenn’s sites, and appreciate your continued updates.

• Or stick to a tablet and OS that will probably be supported for at least another couple of years.

I can’t believe you’re encouraging your readers to continue carrying about a device that was “CRAP” from the very start! I also can’t believe you are surprised this device met an early death! It SUCKED, face it!

Yep. Tried several of them, but still only got mediocre battery life.

I just got 10+ hours letting it sit on wifi, and only used 30% of the battery.
    After you installed them, you need to set up SetCPU and configure profiles.

• Themanii — you didn’t dispute Brian’s central point: at the current time, the _only_ tablet guaranteed to be well-supported with fire and forget future updates is the iPad. Day and date for every iPad, without any interference from OEMs or carriers. Guess what I recommended for my parents.

You are incorrect about Apple removing features in software updates. Apple might not include all the features that are on newer devices when it releases new iOS updates for older devices but they don’t REMOVE existing features.

The xoom recieves updates first for tabs as it’s the stock google experience. It’s the tab equivilent of a nexus device, and it shows as (the unbranded ones) recieve HC updates first. It will be recieving ICS pretty soon as the drivers are already ready. Yes manus are carriers are responsible for 95% of the issues, the nexus/xoom1 devices are how it’s done right.

Removing in this case is “not enabling features on specific devices”. Yes they’re not flat out removing them, but they’re not enabling them even though the functions are on that device. HSPA7.2/multitasking/wallpapers on the 3g, Siri on the 3gs/4. The most egregious is siri as it’s functionally ‘voice control 3.0’ and could likely be implemented without issue. My 3g recieved 4.x in name only and the 3gs is close to this point also with 5.0

iOS updates are not at all fire and forget unless you’re ok with apple not enabling features on your older devies (as in you set something from “false” to “true” in the right plist) You pretty much are forced to jailbreak to enable everything your older devices are capable of.

• let’s hope for dell to release a brand new cool gadget because i really fall in love with streak!

• Once the dell is unlocked, can it be used with WIFI?

• Link exchange is nothing else but it is just placing the other
    person’s weblog link on your page at proper place and other person will also do same for you.

• I simply could not leave your site before suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the usual info an individual provide in your visitors?
    Is gonna be again regularly to investigate cross-check new
    posts

• If some one wants expert view regarding blogging after that i advise him/her to visit this blog, Keep up the fastidious work.