Good and EVOSoftware Updates

Honeycomb update rolling out right now for HTC EVO View 4G [Updated]

Evo-view-honeycomb-update

The already awesome HTC EVO View 4G just got even better. The official OTA software update to Android 3.2, Honeycomb, is rolling out for View owners across the country right now. The update comes in at a whopping 216.96MB, which is understandable since there's a lot that comes with it. For this reason, you'll probably want to use WiFi when downloading.

There are some things you should know about before accepting this update:

• Your homescreen will be reset to the default HTC settings after applying this update.
  • Illuminated hardware keys will be disabled since Honeycomb already includes corresponding on-screen buttons.
  • If you are rooted, proceed with caution: you should only apply this update if your system/app folder is completely returned to stock and you have flashed your stock recovery image (not TWRP or ClockworkMod); otherwise, you will encounter errors.
  • Additionally, you will lose root after applying this update. The safest way to update and keep root is to wait for a developer to figure out a way to apply this update without losing root.

Keep checking G&E for more information on this update as we learn more about it.

Thanks, Chung!

Update: If you rooted using Revolutionary, definitely hold off on applying this update for now. The new bootloader that's included in this is causing major hiccups that I'm trying to sort out right now.

John F

43 thoughts on “Honeycomb update rolling out right now for HTC EVO View 4G [Updated]

You just made my day

what is the difference if any between Evo View & HTC Flyer?

“Update: If you rooted using Revolutionary, hold off on applying this update for now. I’m currently stuck at the white HTC start-up screen, and now have to wait for my battery to die before I can fix this in recovery since there’s no way to pull the battery on this tablet.”

Just hold the Power Button + Volume Up Button for 15 Seconds, One screen goes black continue to Hold Power Button and Volume Down to enter Recovery.

What if you have a View that only uses WiFi (not connected to Sprint’s network)?? How will I be able to obtain this update? Also, since I just received my View, it is unrooted. If I apply this update, will I lose the ability to root it at some point in the future? Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I just got my tablet from Ben’s outlet and I have to go through all the previous updates before I can get HoneyComb

I just posted in XDA about what happened to John and this is what a Dev said to tel you.

Flash the recovery and boot images from GB via fastboot.

• Yep, I saw that… we’re reading the same forum. Thanks for helping out! :-)

I’m currently downgrading back to Gingerbread, will get the proper hboot, and then upgrade up to Honeycomb. Probably losing root in the process… but oh well!

Just turn your wifi on and go to System Updates -> HTC Update. Since you’re not on the Sprint Network, you will not receive notice that the update is available, but you can go look for it yourself.

• You can still get the update over WiFi. As for root, don’t apply this update yet if that matters to you.

@John Freml

How do you go back to Gingerbread.
    I have Honeycomb now, but can’t say that I like it.
    I love my extra buttons. Also, I am having WiFi connections
    problems.

Thanks,

Geert

Mine is on its way here. It’s scheduled for delivery tomorrow. $220 for a honeycomb htc tablet is a great deal.

Same here! I’m so stoked now that Honeycomb is rolling out!

gettin’ it now!

yah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Well, once you successfully upgrade to Honeycomb, I dont think you can go  back to Gingerbread. I still havent been able to boot into Honeycomb, which is why I think I was able to go back to Gingerbread.

Dear John,

Please explain how you can downgrade to Gingerbread and where do you get the necessary files?

Then you’re lucky. I hate Honeycomb. Don’t see what it buys you. I heartily recommend staying in GB. I sure hope someone figures out how to go back from Honeycomb. Especially the lack of support for the hardware buttons on my HTC EVO View 4GG is
    astonishing. What progress!

I would assume the reason to go to Honeycomb is that it’s designed for tablets and that certain apps designed for it will work better. I’m getting my View on Friday so I’ll find out for myself.

I am curious whether there’s any noticable impact on battery life after upgrading to Honeycomb. I also find the following video useful, where an HTC Flyer (WIFI version) with Honeycomb was shown:

• OK, just got it – and didn’t know it was coming. Dissapointed in the loss of the hardware buttons.

Bigger deal is you now cannot put icons in the top part or bottom part of the screen. What the heck is up with that. Sense doesn’t allow you. Time to load a custom launcher I guess.

• so disappointed in disable hardware button… and not being able to go into full screen when watching a video, playing game, gps, without that status bar…at least swap the status bar and hardware key when we’re in full screen to make good use of them instead of disabling them all together :(

• I’ll be waiting for somebody to find a way to downgrade, not happy at all with honeycomb update with disabling the lighted buttons, videos won’t fill up the whole screen, annoying status bar always there taking away some viewable picture….

aww i bought mine from dailysteals still hasn’t shipped

• Mine didn’t say it shipped – it just showed up today.

I really don’t want to update at this point if I have to compromise my hardwired keys… I hope they can resolve this with a small addendum update. Also from what I gather honeycomb seems to run slightly slower than the former, though I can’t personally verify that.

update to my previously really excited post.

i hate honeycomb

I am glad people tend to share my “view” that the Honeycomb OTA is very disappointing. I noticed that several apps no longer worked or only partially worked, notably File Expert lost its capability to use SFTP (at least that’s what I was using) even after a re-install.
    (A cracked version of Dropsync stopped completely.) You also need to install an update for the Picasa plug-in app from HTC Hub.

The soft buttons are inconvenient and confusing, BACK is on the left and MENU is only there when there is indeed a use for it, but some apps have the MENU button at the top of the screen. There is no longer a full page notification overview that you pull-down; instead you get a small notification pop-up area in the right-hand corner. The best thing so far is a task button that allows for quick task switching but you cannot use it to kill a task, ha!

I suggest that everybody complains to Sprint/HTC and make them understand that this is unacceptable. I already did and obviously I got the stock answer from support: “There is currently no supported method of reverting to a previous version once an update to the Android OS has been completed.” Yeah right! Kudo’s to whoever gets us back to Gingerbread.

The other day when I had seen the video of the French flyer getting honeycomb I stated that I really didn’t want to loose my hardware buttons and someone was really quick to give me a hard time about it. My view arrives today and I think I’ll leave her running gingerbread for a while longer.

i realize this isn’t a help forum but i can’t find this online
    On Honeycomb on our View, how do you change the apps that are on the lockscreen? I don’t use 2 of the 4 default apps. I’ve searched the settings but can’t find it!!
    thx

and go figure. as soon as i posted something, i found it.
    if you have the personalize screen open,the settings button is in the top right.
    booo

Just got mine from bensoutlet.com. So far, so good. The unit looks brand new, but the box wasn’t completely sealed (as I would have expected). Really nice tablet for the price. Looking forward to getting this puppy up and running!!! woohoo.

Could someone please confirm that the Teeter game has vanished from the latest Honeycomb OTA? Or was I so stupid to uninstall it?
    Although I thought that you can’t really uninstall a system app, now can you? Yet another reason to stay with Gingerbread.

• I agree with the other posts. Don’t upgrade!!! You will be disappointed with lost in real estate, smaller widgets, lack of refinements in feel.

Got mine from Ben’s outlet as well. Same situation with unsealed box. All contents were inside and wrapped, zero indication of a refurb.

Honeycomb blows. I been counting down the months for the honeycomb upgrade and now that i have it, it sucks!!! Gingerbread is such a better and more refined OS than honeycomb. Now i will be counting down the days ICS comes to the HTC View. Screw you honeycomb!!!

That explains the sudden surplus of discounted Evo Views the past few weeks.

HTC support confirmed that the Teeter game is gone on Honeycomb.
    Let’s hope HTC realizes that they made a mistake and correct the use of the capacitive hardware buttons. How hard could that be? Just give us a choice: on-screen bar on or off, hardware buttons on or off.

Have any of you tried this other HTC joke of a website?
    Check out http://www.htcsense.com:
    “HTCSense.com is currently down for maintenance. We’ll be back soon!”
    I never got it to work and have it track my View. All it did was give
    me the ability to make the device beep loudly.

There is a Sprint Radio built-in to the View, otherwise it is only cosmetic changes.

… this isn’t news, and it’s not HTC’s fault. That’s how Honeycomb (and Ice Cream Sandwich) are… they don’t use hardware buttons. It’s all part of the on-screen interface, now. Blaming HTC for a decision that was made on Google’s end is kind of ridiculous.

It is news for HTC View owners; the Flyer has had its Honeycomb upgrade a while ago. And of course HTC is to blame! Although Android is supposedly open source (gimme a break), vendors always tweak it and HTC for sure did so when supporting the hardware buttons in Gingerbread. They should have done the same for Honeycomb and I am sure there will be an update that addresses that issue in the near future. All View and Flyer owners are probably pissed because of it. Otherwise, Honeycomb on the whole is not too bad. But what to expect from Android? It is doomed as it is. They (Google?) made a bunch of bad decisions in UI department. I doubt if even Ice Cream is going to change that.

I played with the Galaxy Nexus and I can tell you that ICS in vanilla form is amazing. As far as android being doomed idk where you are getting your info from.

I keep trying to update my HTC EVO View (Sprint) to Honeycomb but nothing happens. From the ‘About Tablet’ screen, I checked under software information. Here’s what I have:

Android version: 2.3.4
    HTC Sense version: 2.1
    Software number: 1.22.651.2

I have followed all the steps included above. I have tried it over my 4G connection and over WiFi but I still have Gingerbread. Am I doing something wrong or missing a step? Please advise

• Thank you for the video! After watching I’ve decided not to upgrade to honeycomb….