AndroidGood and EVO

Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 source released, already in EVO 4G development

11x05101719[1]Google recently released a large patch to the Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) operating system. One of the biggest new features is that it will work directly with a non-Android Development Phone, meaning EVO developers now have to jump through fewer hoops to make it work. This 4.0.3 release is touted as a "base version" for Google partners.

After the release of Ice Cream Sandwich last month, it took a couple of weeks before any ports of it were available, and they were fairly unstable at the begining. This time the turnaround for 4.0.3 to be in active trials was about a day for Kushdeck's ICS pre-release alpha, and the stability is there.

While development has been ongoing, for many rooted EVO 4G owners the only reasons to not switch to an ICS pre-release ROM has been the lack of a camera and working WiMAX. With the new 4.0.3 base version not requiring developers to hit it with a crowbar repeatedly just to make it compile, it should free up some time for them to attack the camera and WiMAX issues.

Hopefully we'll have a nearly perfect ICS under our trees this year. My bet, though, is that the WiMAX will take slightly longer, as historically Sprint/HTC has had to have that in their ROMs for the particular OS flavor (Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread) before developers have been able to extract it.

[The H Open]

Paul E King

14 thoughts on “Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 source released, already in EVO 4G development

It seems the changes Google made to the camera in ICS have made it difficult so far.Also, anybody know how to get to disk mount when the phone is charging with an ICS from? Anyways, ICS is awesome and o don’t want to go back to 3.5

Thanks seank37, I’ll check that out and give it a try

• i could careless about the wimax issue because i dont live in a 4g area anyways. if they can get the camera to work i’d be using ICS as my daily driver

I’m living without the camera. But I do really miss it. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

• Is this also for Evo 3d

• TypePad HTML Email
    You can buy Dual Mount SD widget from the market, most of the ICS development threads now have a USB disk drive apk you can download that will work also.

• TypePad HTML Email
    There is development in the 3D ics world, however I think the people working on the 3D have looked at the threads of the people working on the 4G and decided it’s not worth the hassle to release alpha tests / have everyone tell you it’s broken constantly.Or perhaps the 3D side is just waiting to see if the official OTA or CyanogenMod will do the work first…It’s happening though

• lol i decided to try it out anyways camera aside its friggin awesome and so fast stock no over clocking necessary (although im not sure its even possible at this stage) and my 3G feels a lot faster but that might just be because there isnt a whole lot running in the background 1 thing i did notice is I cant sync my fb friends with my contacts but i was able to with twitter

I’ve loving ICS. I can’t for the real deal whenever Sprint comes out with one. I don’t see it happening for a while. CES is next month and they release any good til a few months after. Overall, how you like it?

• there’s a speculative thread that says it should be good to go OTA for the 3G by mid-feb – March, but pure speculation

• I love it! Im a sucker minimalism which is exactly what i get on ICS and HTC said they were gonna update the Evo 3D & design but the EVO 4G will be left behind which I dont mind. I’m hoping that when my contract is up in Oct 2012 their will be a Quadcore Evo with LTE out running ICS with Sense 4.0.