Good and EVO

Sprint announces 3G network enhancements in San Francisco

San-Francisco_California

Earlier today, Sprint announced that "customers in the San Francisco Bay Area can have happy holidays this year with increased 3G coverage just in time for holiday shopping, festive parties and family get-togethers." Why all the merriment?

As it turns out, Sprint has completed 130 network capacity upgrades throughout the Bay Area and has plans for an additional 62 over the next three months. This comes just a couple days after Sprint announced that its first multi-mode base station went live in New Jersey.

This is, of course, all part of Network Vision, which Sprint is currently deploying nationwide. Network Vision will eventually bring down Sprint's operating costs (once it's all said and done) while increasing capacity and coverage for end users, like us

You can view specific network enhancements in your neck of the woods on Sprint's new network site. Good for Sprint that they're keeping their promises to improve coverage – even if it seems like it's taking an eternity if you are one of the unlucky ones in a poor-coverage area. If you have the patience to stick around, though, your HTC EVO will thank you later.

[Sprint]

John F

12 thoughts on “Sprint announces 3G network enhancements in San Francisco

3G ‘Speeds’ LOL! in NYC > >
    0.33Mbps/0.16Mbps
    Sprint can go Rotate!!

Guess NYC is not a big enough market to get some respectable 3G speeds.
    Forget about 4G.
    LMFAO!!
    Maybe I’ll contribute another $10 and pay a $20 Surcharge just for the laughs I’m getting outta this whole BS Saga!

• Biker1, In NYC-UES I am getting 900K down and 900K up for 3G, and 4.4M down and 1.5M up for 4G. Sorry you’re not seeing similar speeds.

I must be living in one of those nyc caves lol!
    Nice to see you getting those 3G speeds, which btw, aren’t that great anyway.
    When I get 4G, it is very intermittent, and very unstable.

Just got the following 4G speeds, which is a rarity > 9.68Mb/1.41Mb

I haven’t tried 4G in a month or so.
    If they remain at or around the speeds I just got, I’ll be a happy camper!

Just pulled 10.90Mb/1.44Mb!!
    Sweet.
    I’ll see how it goes. I

• I was just in NY and 4G was intermittent and my phone died more quickly than it does here where I live. I was constantly changing my battery and turning 4G off and using 3G and it wasn’t so great where I was. I’m waiting for Kentucky to get 4G but my 3G is pretty good and I use wifi whenever home or at work so I guess i’m good for now.

Yes, if 4G drains the crap outta the battery, that’s
    not good, even though I carry a spare battery also.
    Of course, I’ll keep an eye on that.

• i was out that way over the summer and i can tell you that they need to call this “enhancement” more of a “sorry we are trying to fit it”. i have traveled all over the usa this summer and i still get the best speeds in my little town. i dont know what the population is but there are 2 traffic lights lol. anyways i get 1.2/700 all the time. when i hit the bigger cities i get about 300/100 and i have never seen 4g. what a joke. but lucky for me, where i live and work i have excellent speeds, i am probably the only person in town with a smart phone.

the thing that gets me is that i bet sprint made a miscalculation with putting a 3g tower in my area, aka why such good service in a unpopulated area and why such crappy service in the big cities???

How wonderful that a major metropolitan area that already enjoys a ridiculous amount of perks gets even better coverage while people like myself (in the midwest, personally) continue to pay an extra monthly fee for 4G coverage that STILL doesn’t exist in this area. I’m getting a good deal with my Sprint plan, but with every announcement like this I am creeping ever closer to telling Sprint to go f**k themselves.

I live in pittsfield ma and we just got 4g today. After two years of paying the 10$ add on. Haha haven’t trusted it yet ..