FeaturesGood and EVO

What's the true value of an HTC EVO 4G?

Evo_framedThey say a picture is worth a thousand words, but what about the HTC EVO 4G? How much is this EVO really worth?

The EVO 4G was originally launched in June 2010 and is now over 18 months old. Many of us have owned an EVO since its early debut, while others have only recently joined the EVO family. Regardless of how long ago you've had your EVO, we can still think about whether we've gotten our money's worth.

I think a good way to approach this question would be to compare the cost of the EVO versus the cost of other devices that might have been replaced by it. Although the topic of gadgets replaced by the EVO is not new on G&E, we have never really tried putting an overall value to this awesome smartphone.

The EVO is more than just a phone. It can be a digital camera, flashlight, MP3 player, digital picture frame, ebook reader, handheld gaming system, and navigation device. And that's only naming a few of the useful ways that an EVO can become an all-in-one device. Factor in thousands of Android apps available in the Market and the list continues.

So let's look at a few of the gadgets an EVO could replace to help give us a better idea of the true value of an EVO.

Below is a list of various gadgets that the phone could possibly replace in our day-to-day life.

While the products listed below might not have the exact same specifications as found in the phone, they are close enough for comparison. Prices have been rounded up to the nearest dollar and do not include taxes or shipping.

The total cost of these items is a jaw-dropping $762.00. Even though you could find these or similar items for lower prices in some cases, the list still shines some light on the potential value of an HTC EVO.

Granted not all users are ready to ditch their digital camera, music player, or other gadgets completely. For the most part I still prefer to use a dedicated video camera, music player, flashlight, or calculator as primary gadgets in lieu of my EVO.

But other gadgets have been replaced completely. For example, my EVO has long since replaced my need for a separate camera since I carry it with me all the time, and it is always ready to snap a quick photo. Additionally the kickstand turns my EVO into a great portable video player allowing me to watch a quick show on Netflix or clip on Youtube.

The phone can also double as a mobile hotspot right out of the box when paired with the appropriate Sprint data plan (or for free if you're rooted). This isn't a feature that I've needed yet, but it's nice to know I could enable it any time without purchasing a separate 2-year contract device.

I don't need a navigation system since I have Google Maps installed on my phone. This free app is simply awesome, as it provides maps, turn-by-turn voice guided directions, aerial imagery, indoor maps, and integrates with the web-based version, allowing me to quickly save maps and directions on a computer and then view them on the road from my EVO.

Why buy and carry a separate handheld gaming device when I already have an EVO? The cost of a Nintendo DSi plus 2 or 3 games can run you close to $300! My EVO can already play games and some awesome ones at that. Best of all, most games are free or cost just a few bucks and can be downloaded and played on the spot. I think handheld gaming devices and expensive games will soon be replaced entirely by smartphones that can use ad-based or fairly inexpensive games. Have you noticed that kids prefer to play with their parents' smartphones instead of portable gaming devices? I see it all the time.

While my EVO doesn't yet completely replace my music player, lately I have been reaching for it more often than my iPod. This is in part due to Google Music, as well as other cool music services like Pandora, SiriusXM Radio, and iHeartRadio. I'm just waiting for Android to provide a seamless method to sync all my music across various devices and computers, so I can ditch my iPod for good.

My EVO has also replaced my need for a separate alarm clock, timer, day planner, and FM radio. It handles all these features with ease and is with me almost all the time.

Looking at just these items, my EVO has easily replaced the need for $425 worth of gadgets. Plus it makes calls, sends texts, surfs the web, and gets my emails. This doesn't even factor in the added value of having all these useful gadgets in one mega phone!

When I purchased my EVO 4G from Sprint over 18 months ago, it cost me $200 with an extended contract (plus tax and activation). Currently the original EVO is free from Sprint with 2-year contract and retails for $449.99 off contract.

My EVO continues to rock today as well as it did when I walked out of the store with it. Sure, it is a bit more scracthed than when I first got it since I've dropped it a few times here and there, but HTC build a very durable device and I know I got my money's worth.

What about you?

Greg Malinao

Greg is a former contributing editor at Good and EVO, which was merged into Pocketables in 2012.

14 thoughts on “What's the true value of an HTC EVO 4G?

• I’d have to agree wholeheartedly. It was my first smartphone! I bought my EVO 4g in January 2011, and within a month, I wondered how I managed without it.

“Why buy and carry a separate handheld gaming device when I already have an EVO?”

Physical. Controls.

Which is not to say that I don’t game on my EVO, but it doesn’t really replace my PSP or the Vita I’ll be getting when it’s released.

I use my original EVO 4g for just about everything listed above. It’s one of my most prized possessions. Its my first Android phone, and I instantly became an Android fanatic because of it. Also, its great to still see the EVO still hold a prominent place in the Android community. I recently installed Cyanogenmod 7.1 and fell in love with it all over again. I don’t plan on upgrading anytime soon. Although I know there’s a lot of really great dual-core/quad-core phones coming out around next summer, it’ll be interesting to find one worthy to take its place. I’m sure I’ll find something, heck, maybe another great phone from the EVO line. (Please don’t let us down HTC) In any case, it’ll sure be hard saying goodbye to what’ll seem like an old friend.

This is really a great, humble review. I love HTC and the EVO line. I am looking forward to what the future holds with a successor this coming summer.

• The evo is a great phone. I’m thinking of buying it again just to have as my backup phone. Only problem is that Sprint ruins the phone with the horrible data speeds. I haven’t been able to use netflix or any online radio apps due to slow Sprint data. Once they fix this issue then the evo line will be worth a whole lot more.

HOT SPOT!!!!! Need I say more??

• My mother-in-law said to my wife “Jim is sure on that phone alot”. I made up a list of what my phone is/does. You hit most of them, some of these are software (like app SOS for first aide guide).
    #1 – Phone
    Email device
    Messaging device
    TV guide (controls my home DVR)
    Internet Browser
    Bubble Level
    Compass
    Scanner
    Weather including Emergency Weather Radio (alerts)
    Dictionary
    Encyclopedia
    Grocery List/Shopping assistance
    Filing Cabinet (document create/modify/read)
    First Aid Guide
    Translator
    Mirror

• That’s a good point – Hardware buttons are something most phones don’t have and needed for hard-core gaming.

• Most people say that about me too “He is on his phone alot.” But its hard not too when my EVO can do so many things. Thanks for listing even more ways that an EVO is awesome.

Nice call guys! I will certainly use those lists next time someone has something to say about that. I’m now running the Evo Classic ROM thanks to Good and Evo. Thanks for keeping me informed on my favorite little tool!

Honestly there still isn’t really a phone out there that beats the Evo. Some might have slightly better specs (HTC Evo 3D or iPhone 4s, other Android phones) but I’m still waiting for a truly next gen smart phone that will make the Evo look archaic. Especially if you root it and get ICS or Sense 3.5, you’re really not missing much of what the latest phones can do. I think this is the first time that I will actually reach my contract upgrade and think, “do I actually want to upgrade?” (I will of course haha, but I won’t be in a rush to do so :)

• I upgraded form the Hero, so this is my second HTC/ Android phone, and I can’t live without it.

I may upgrade to the 3D if/when my EVO finally kicks the bucket. The screen real estate was the selling point, but that was the toppings to go with the faster processor and the added memory.

I LOVE my phone.

Hopefully the next EVO has the bigger screen. :)

I’ve had mines for about a year and i love it!!!!! it’s the best Forget idud and to replace the comment to music player part (try Power Amp) its the best and out shines apple.

• This Phone made my life easier & has replaced almost all the items metion plus more! definitely the best buy I’ve ever purchased! Loved it so much that i didnt even bother with the 3D. But I am curious to know what will be in the next EVO… ^_^