AppsGood and EVO

ClockworkMod Tether removed by AT&T, Sprint likely to follow

TA1PRA76ngjxR-UUBSEbN_TakuT5pxUjgeEEUZwok8uS64ZLxy5f1IIaXhS-wjWYOzk[1]

Just days after its release in the Android Market, ClockworkMod Tether has been hidden from anyone on AT&T's network. With Sprint likely to follow suit, EVO users looking to install the non-root app through the Market should probably hurry to download it.

With wireless tethering being among the top reasons most users root their device, the app actually might have worked in the carrier's favor to keep people from rooting to avoid the patently ridiculous $30+ a month limited tethering plans. Or maybe not. But either way, AT&T's move won't stop non-root tethering apps from being available; it will just make the Market not show it to their customers.

While it is a violation of your Sprint contract to use an app like this for tethering purposes, one can argue that it's also a violation of advertising laws to advertise and call it "unlimited data" and then limit how much you can use, how it's accessed, what you can see in the Market and search results, and so on.

QR for CWM TetherIn any case, if you're not rooted, get it while you still can, but don't use it unless you want to risk running into problems with Sprint. I personally think of tether apps like I think of spare tires, fire arms, and cats: for the most part they're useless, but in a severe bind they may come in handy.

Links: Market (EVO) | Market (web)

Paul E King

12 thoughts on “ClockworkMod Tether removed by AT&T, Sprint likely to follow

• “one can argue that it’s also a violation of advertising laws to advertise and call it “unlimited data” and then limit how much you can use”

I really don’t think this is a valid point… It says right in your contract that unlimited data is for mobile browsing, email, and downloads only. Tether is $30 a month. I rooted to tether, so I’m not saying I’m above it or anything, but you at least have to admit that what you’re doing is against contract.

• Like someone said before, it may be against their rules but its not against the law. If Sprint wants to cancel my 5 line contract over me tethering 1 time every 2 to 3 months then go ahead. I’ll keep doing it. Plus I thought if you used wifi tether they couldn’t tell if your tethering or not? Either way its not going to stop me. Sprint will lose alot of good customers that stick with them even with crappy data speeds. I understand them getting mad over those that tether enormous data like 15-20 every month but for emergency tethering or when I’m on vacation it should be left alone. I guess we’ll see how far they go on enforcing it.

• I’m not saying it’s not against contract (see last paragraph)

I’m saying Sprint is making misleading claims in their advertising about what they provide, then giving you a contract that says they don’t have to provide it and charging outrageous fees or kicking people off their network for doing it.

Contract is pretty clear if you read it, but it’s not what the advertising says. Was doing a tit for tat argument, not direct justification.

It was also 2am when I wrote this.

So how would you advertise it without being “misleading”?

I’m rooted, but I still pay the $30 a month because I signed a legal contract that was pretty clear about what was “unlimited” and what was not.

Now, that said, if you want to justify tethering, how about how Sprint changed the contract from unlimited wifi hotspot for up to 8 devices for $30 a month to

capping it the data to 5gb?

• Why would you think they couldn’t tell if you were tethering?

Right off the top of my head, you’ve got a company that does packet inspection and provides DNS.

Fire up firefox or Chrome and they’re going to phone home to check and see if there’s an update. Android wouldn’t be hitting that IP address for any reason.

All browsers, when sending a request to a web page, send an identifier string to every web page they visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_agent – any packet inspection would reveal this.

Your phone is using Sprint DNS servers, any request to any computer-specific address (windowsupdate,chrome / firefox updates, bt sites, etc) is a red flag that you’re tethering.

Those are just the first few I can think of. I remember a while back Comcast announced they had a way to figure out how many computers were behind a NAT – this announcement was intended to scare off people from sharing wifi with neighbors. All tethering is is a fancy NAT.

Do you think they might have crappy data speeds because of people hogging bandwidth by tethering in violation of their contract?

When the Evo 4g came out, I read many forum posts that talked about people playing Xbox live via their hotspot feature or downloading bit torrents with their PC.

Is it any wonder why speeds might be slow?

• oh, easy – “Sprint, the Now Network, offering nearly unlimited mobile device data.”

“Sprint, more included data than any other carrier”

etc

There is no question what the word “unlimited” means. none. Look it up in a dictionary. Sprint is not unlimited, nor are they using air quotes when saying it on the commercials, only in the contracts. The contract states they’re not unlimited. If you use near your limits, which are set, you’ll get a call saying you’re close to being un-Sprinted.

As a note, I do not have a problem with them kicking jackasses, I have a problem with them lying through their teeth.

What we have is akin to advertising a Ford F-150 as getting 150 mpg and then in the fine print saying “150mpg based on going downhill in neutral with the engine off 145 miles”

5 gigs of data… yeah, that is a joke…

• we have crappy data speeds because too many devices are on the bandwidth we’re on…

At the beginning of the 4G era

imagine a hallway 5 & 1/2 feet wide and 20 feet long. That’s what we walk down to talk to the tower. When we started with the 4G, there were 8 (smart phones) of us walking down this hallway. The average weight of a person (how much data we consumed) was 170 pounds.

then there were 16 people suddenly in 2 & 1/2 walking down the same hallway, and everyone had gained weight and was now 230 pounds (better phones, larger apps)

2 months later there are 45 people walking this same hallway, they all weigh 300 pounds, and one of them weighs 500 pounds… he’s your torrent freak (xbox live is not a significant data damager, ignore those people)

At this point it’s getting freakishly crowded… this was the point ~4 months before the iPhone came to Sprint. Now, the iPhone people are not as “fat” as the sprint people, but they’re still pretty hefty, and there are a LOT of them, and a lot of us.

The hallway has been inching wider slightly, but apps keep gaining weight so the phones that eat them use more data.

Now, in most scenarios, that hallways was the over the air bandwidth (your phone to the tower) and not the internet bandwidth (tower to the internet). If billy on tower 2 is torrenting and you’re on tower 1, really should see no issue.

Basically, Sprint oversold, slammed a bunch of people together in a hallway that can get them all from point a to b, but they’re all stepping on each other’s toes.

There are protocols that ISPs and carriers use for packet scheduling / bandwidth allocation / etc. If they had the bandwidth to support us, they would work. As it is, everyone is sharing the same craptastic experience, and they love it when you blame someone on the network for the problem as opposed to the problem (them overselling an over-stressed product)

I tether when I need it and I don’t pay Sprints fee. Do I feel guilty? Absolutely not…I’ve been paying $10 for 4G which I’ve yet to use. When I signed up for my contract, I was told that it would be available in a couple months. It’s now almost been 2 years and I’m still paying that $10 and still can’t get a good signal.

I don’t download when I tether and I don’t use it as a primary way to access the internet when I am at home so the times I tether are justifiable to me.

Around and around we go. “UNLIMITED DATA” means “UNLIMITED DATA” on your PHONE.

Some people say “I should be able to use it on any device I own”, but that isn’t what you are paying for, and that isn’t what your contract says. That being said, tether or do what you want, but don’t complain about Sprint and say “UNLIMITED ACTUALLY MEANS LIMITED LULZ!”.

Do you go to the all-you-can-eat buffet, finish your meal, and then start filling up tupperware containers to stock your fridge at home? “But it says ‘All I can eat’ on the sign!”

• er, no, you don’t have unlimited data on your phone. You are both limited in how you use it and how much you have, and when you can use it.

If you use more data than most, you’ll get a call saying they’re going to cut you.

I have yet to see proof of a letter or phone call from Sprint telling someone they are getting cut from their unlimited service. And if someone does have proof, tell me that were ONLY using that data on their phone, and not on other devices.

Besides, that wasn’t my point.