AndroidGood and EVO

How profitable is Android for Google?

MoneyAs most of us probably know, Google is – before anything else – an advertising company. That means most of its revenues and profits come from advertising delivered through various venues such as the Android operating system that powers the HTC EVO family of devices.

But how much does Google actually make from Android?

According to recent court filings in the ongoing Oracle case against Google, Oracle seems to think that Google makes around $14 of ad revenue per Android user per year. That translates into $10 million per day, or $3.7 billion per year.

Of course, it's hard to quantify exactly how much Google is really making from Android. For example, the figures above don't represent revenue from Android Market sales. Additionally, Android encourages users to sign up for additional Google services such as Gmail, which in turn make Google even more money. In any case, Google is certainly profiting quite a bit from us EVO-lovers – and as long as they continue making awesome software, I don't seem to mind!

[Android Community]

John F

9 thoughts on “How profitable is Android for Google?

• Let’s see I use gmail, google.com, Android, and google maps… For free… Yeah they deserve every dollar and then some from me.

• Didn’t intend for that to sound sarcastic, I love my google :)

• As long as they make great products, keep them updated and continue to innovate and introduce new technology and programs I have no problem with them making money off of it. After all we pay Sprint for service and pay one time for the phone and the rest comes free. I wish I had come up with the idea Google had. Just keep up the great work and I’ll keep buying new products.

• I can care less about google’s revenue from me as long as i am not played. they are a company and no matter how much bs any company talks, their revenue always comes first. I use Google Search, goggles, navigation, maps, chrome, gmail, latitude, translator, youtube, docs, wallet, calendar, music and even Android OS all for free. I get services that are valuable to me and ITS FREE. So as long as they keep their current focus of providing solutions and innovating i am a loyal costumer.

“Yea, though i walk through the Valley of Google, i shall fear no Apple…” :)

• LMFAO at the valley of google!

I agree they need our money to pay all those great minds who work and will work at google.

• I read they made 10 billion in q4, so it looks like from android they make a little less than 1/10th.

Well, don’t forget, they do have to pay Microsoft $5 a handheld for each one running the Android OS, so MS is getting a ton of money from this, too!

• Yes…. once all investigations find Google anti competitive and anti trust… we know how Google is making money from its free services.

how pathetic is that new privacy policy…. “accept it or move out of the service”

Awesome Google… very much expected.