Good and EVO

HTC sales slow down, profits suffer

Htc-logoIt looks like the manufacturer of our beloved line of EVO devices – HTC – has finally found itself in a bit of a slump. This is due to a slower fourth quarter of sales that brought unaudited Q4 revenue down 2.49% from Q4 2010. This translates in an unaudited operating income of around $430 million, which is a whopping 22% decline based on figures from the previous year.

So who are the main culprits? Most analysts believe that increased competition from both Apple's iPhone and Samsung's line of Galaxy devices are mainly to blame. Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised in HTC happened to invest a little too much into their relatively new Android tablet business – as you can recall, the HTC EVO View 4G only recently gained a bit of popularity, but that was only after some pretty dramatic price cuts which, obviously, cut into HTC's profits.

It will certainly be interesting to see what HTC has up their sleeves for CES next week, as well as Mobile World Congress in March. There are still no hints at what the next EVO might look like, but we all certainly have our own wish lists. Here's to hoping that HTC can beat this downturn and bring us something awesome soon!

[Engadget]

John F

14 thoughts on “HTC sales slow down, profits suffer

I blame Sprint not releasing LTE sooner. I’d have bought an EVO 3D when they first came out if I had known that it was going to be so late in 2012 that Sprint planned to release LTE phones.

I blame the bootloader policy, and the unimaginative designs and lack of quality…

• Maybe they should do something to improve battery life, and get android update out quicker. If they are going to continue using sense, they should optimize it so it doesn’t take so long to integrate into new versions of Android. And stop preloading so much crap on the phone (and locking theme into the device).

I really like their hardware, over the competition. I hate to say it, but I still think Apple makes better hardware (except the lack of 4G support). But, since I hate the way Apple handles everything, I’ll forever be an Android user, and HTC has the best hardware for Android.

i think with HTC working under wraps to produce a quad-core 4.7-inch S-LCD2 display, an 8MP rear camera, a 720p-capable front-facing camera, and at least 1GB RAM hopefully for SPRINT (fingers crossed) and them being HTC contiuing to trail blaze in technology, as long as “the evil empire aka apple” doesnt keep dragging them to court, i think there is going to be sweet new headsets coming in volume very soon. Speaking as a 10 year customer of Sprint, i cant wait to see what new goodies HTC has for 2012, since its my last year to take advantage of being a gold premier member(12 month upgrade vs 22 month).

I think sense is getting old and needs a complete revamp. It has a been there and done that look and feel. And now with all of the launcher/widget choices you can pretty much get whatever you want on your own. I just deactivated a 3d for a galaxy nexus. Mainly because I wanted updates android asap and a usable 3g connection.

• While the rezound and the amaze were nice handsets they were all overshadowed by the galaxy s2 and the galaxy nexus. If htc had launched a lte device for sprint I might have even upgraded but what did Sprint get the design? I want htc to be successful but i’ve been debating on the galaxy nexus for quite some time. Right now I have a evo 4g, 3d and view and I just want to try out a new device. That all being said I’ll probably wait to see what ics/lte devices will be released for sprint. I’m telling you I might grab the nexus before the double data deal ends for verizon.

• Looks like the galaxy nexus will be the first lte device launched for Sprint and if the leaked add is right it will have a 1.5g dual core as opposed to the 1.2 that version’s version has. Between that and the quad core htc device coming I just may stick it out with Sprint. I’m psyched to get my hand on the nexus.

like I said I grabbed the nexus a few ago and it is really good, but it is good because of ICS and verizon’s network here. The hardware is fine and I actually like the 32gigs built in, but on that level it really is comparable to most other high end phones. If you get a good/fast connection on the 3d with sprint where you live, I might just wait it out. It’s just that my 3g speeds here were less than .1 megs down consistently (since about June), and with verizon is is usually .6-1.2 megs down even without lte. With Lte it is 15-25 megs down and the battery life with lte seems better than the 3d with 4g turned on. I do love the nexus and I’m glad I left sprint.

• I would like to see the Quad Core but with 2gb of RAM vs just 1. Also think the 4.3 of the EVO 4g is just right, Think the 4.7 might be a bit to big. Determinately need to improve on batter life. Hope they continue to offer the Micro SD slot (Unlike Samsung and some other devices). Agree they should also allow for the uninstalling of pre-loaded software (even if it means it is locked for a specified time – i.e. 3 months).

• HTC’s biggest competitor isn’t Apple, it’s Samsung. The only android phones I’ve ever had were from HTC(Evo4g,3D), but I doubt my next one will be an HTC. I think the need for Sense has run it’s course and at this point, it just boggs down resources. HTC makes way too many damn phones lately too. How many freaking Evo’s are out there that shouldn’t be(aka Evo Design). They need to just make maybe 1/4 of the phones they make now, but make them better. Make the screen better, focus on the exterior style, and improve battery life.

I read somewhere (probably on a rumor site) that HTC will be coming out with a new all-encompassing series of phones and tablets for 2012, made to compete with the Galaxy and iPhone/iPad/iPod lines.

They mentioned a 4.5″ phone, 5.5″-6″ phone/tablet hybrid (think Samsung Galaxy Note), a 7″-8″ tablet, a 9″-10″ tablet, and a non-phone media player (think iPod Touch/Samsung Galaxy Player). Supposedly this will be EVO branded on Sprint, and something else on the other carriers.

Take that for what you will.

Yep, iphone on more carriers and I personally just switched to the Galaxy SII. I felt really guilty switching but it was the right thing to do. I can’t believe how nice the screen is and how long the battery lasts and how light the phone is. Did I mention how fast it is? Wow. HTC has some major, major catchup to do if they want to stay competitive.

• HTC’s shady practices finally caught up with them. Releasing phones that had major issues before they reached the shelf finally caught up with them. I mean, im sure they have testers and technicians….. so why would you release phones that need major updates and 3rd party programs to make them functional. Speaker phone issues, Hboot trickery via OTA, Phone not powering back on if you cut it off, the list goes on. No device is perfect, but the stuff HTC was pulling was ridiculous. I think the customers sent a message and HTC needs to clean up their act. I mean, they were getting as bad as Microsoft… updates to fix updates.

I purchased my SE4GT a couple of months ago, and it’s a Phenomenal device.
    To the other poster, it does have an SD card. The Nexus doesn’t.
    4.52″ is just right as is the physical profile.
    But anyway, my Evo 4G is now retired, and at least for now, Samsung is my choice.
    No manufacturer loyalty, just whatever I like best and works best is my choice for the device I own and use.
    Btw, there really isn’t any reason why at least 16gb of built in memory shouldn’t be standard.