FeaturesGood and EVO

Poll: How’s Honeycomb been treating your HTC EVO View 4G?

Honeycomb

It’s been just about three weeks since the official Honeycomb OTA update was made available for the HTC EVO View 4G. Personally, I couldn’t be happier – it’s about darn time the View got some love from HTC after months of neglect. But I’m also interested in what all of you think!

Three weeks should be more than enough time to play around with this latest software version, find all the bugs, discover all the new features, and make your final judgement call about whether or not Honeycomb has lived up to your expectations.

Do you miss the hardware buttons, or are you happy with the new on-screen controls? Do you like how the pen has now been better integrated with the whole OS, or was this accessory too expensive to begin with? Take part in our poll below, and be sure to sound off in the comments with any additional thoughts or reactions.

John F

18 thoughts on “Poll: How’s Honeycomb been treating your HTC EVO View 4G?

I First tried it, didn’t like and went back to Gingerbread. Then I decided to try it again, so I went back to honeycomb. After not liking it yet again, I tried out a custom ROM, DeSensed. Now I’m loving Honeycomb. I now see that my issues with Honeycomb were primarily due to Sense.

Honeycomb has changed widgets a lot, so the Sense widgets weren’t as useful to me. Combine that with the lag in games I found with the HTC OTA update, and it was enough to send me back to Gingerbread.

In my opinion Honeycomb is better off without UI skinning by manufacturers like HTC, Samsung, and others. Its the first iteration of Android where I’ve preferred stock over HTC Sense.

How many hours of battery life are you guys getting on your view? I have mine in airplane mode just using wi-fi and it drops a few percent every few minutes. Other then that I don’t like the widget sizes now but I’m digging the fact that it doesn’t just feel like a 7″ version of my 3d. I haven’t noticed much lag or any other issues so for th

e most part I’m digging honeycomb. Sorry that got cut off.

I do like it for mostpartbut I don’t like the on screen home buttons… It takes up too much valuable space on a 7 inch screen… Maybe OK on a 10 inch but not on this!!

Thats just how I feel about the widgets now. I think they’ve been made too small for a 7″ screen.

Downloaded HC ota day it was released. Initial reaction was disappointment, but has since grown on me. Still kinda miss buttons, and loss of video viewing real estate is tolerable. Some apps (from Market, Amazon, and getjar) do not function in HC.

There has been no change in battery life for me. I got my View thru Sprint, and do have 1G service plan. I use wifi only connection 90% of the time, never turn on airplane mode, and still get great battery life (View at 95%, 8 hours at work with wifi off, mobile off, airplane mode off – battery at 80% at end of work).

• Wow maybe my battery is defective.

Hope not defective batt. If so, take it in asap for replacement (warranty).

Did u tweak ur power settings? Display, time on, etc?

Did u “season” the battery? Deplete til less than 5%, or dead. Leave on charger for at least 6 hours. Repeat 4-5 times. After that, never charge device til batt is below 20% and do not disconnect til fully charged.

I’ve been hooked on Great Little War Game. At 99% batt life, I’ve played straight for almost 6 hrs (wifi on). Wife made me stop before battery completely died. ;-)

i upgraded to HC the same day I got the View so I can only comment on HC itself. I think it works just fine. Thought I’d miss the extra homescreens but since you can get more on each it’s been fine. I’m mostly just using two of them. I’m thoroughly happy with the View and HC.

• I’ve tweaked all the battery settings and I’ve been letting drain to 5% then charging to 100%. When you leave it on for 6 hours is that total or 6 hours after you reach a full charge? Thanks for the tip!

• I just updated to honeycomb today and I HATE IT!!!!! Someone please help me downgrade and get ut back to the original. I need my hard buttons on the botton. I hate the bar that takes up a half inch and won’t go away while watching movies. Please email [email protected]. thanks

6 hours total. At batt <20% it takes me about 4-5 hrs to reach 100%. I leave it on for another hour or so.

• I kind of miss the buttons. But otherwise love it. Hoping ics isn’t too far off officially or not.

• Took me 3 hours to go from 5% to a full charge so I’m leaving it on for a bit longer. After I upgraded to HC I drained the battery to about 15% and was waiting for it to deplete to single digits then I went to check and the percentage was back up to 30%. I’m going to try your trick for the next few charges and if battery life remains poor I’m going to have to send it in to htc.

• HBO to Go failed with new upgrade to honeycomb. Gingerbread worked great with HBO to Go. Wish HBO to Go would function.

• I’m not sure if the pros outweigh the the cons for the HC upgrade. Sounds like HC doesn’t work too well in portrait mode on the View, and that it’s better suited for larger screen tablets?

• Anyone know a way to get the off-screen buttons back?

Not while in Honeycomb (if I am reading correctly). You would have to “downgrade” to Gingerbread. There’s a tutorial on this site (from a couple weeks back), use search bar to the right to find it.